8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Good old rubbing alcohol apparently makes for a good film cleaner :/?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good old rubbing alcohol apparently makes for a good film cleaner :/?
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 07:59 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I read this somewhere and was wondering if anyone could share experiences they may have [Smile] ? I eagerly await and wish you all an awesome weekend [Big Grin] !!!

Cheers,
Elyas

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 06, 2016 08:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that used repeatedly it dries the film base out and causes shrinkage.

-but...

I use a Bolex bevel splicer on acetate based films. This makes a wonderful splice but it makes for a great deal of dust. If you projected a film edited this way it would be like being inside a blizzard. Afterwards, the insides of your projector would look like the machine has dandruff.

So I clean it by pulling the film through a film cleaning cloth moistened with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

This is typically a one time operation and I've never had any trouble as a result.

This makes sense especially in cases where you plan to stripe the film: cleaning with something containing a lubricant would mean you'd just have to clean that off too before the stripe can stick.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 02:35 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a Blizzard?
Answer- the insides of a Buzzard! - L&H - Pardon Us.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 03:26 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear!!! I can't cope with jokes like this at nine on a Sunday morning. I should have waited till later!!

--------------------
Dave

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you want me to go i will stay as long as you like

Stan laurel

--------------------
kinema king

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 11:49 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We could start a whole new topic on this subject!
I can't help it. I was dreaming I was awake and I woke up and found myself fast asleep! - L&H Oliver the Eighth.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 01:34 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alcohol for hardware cleaning but not generally for film. Though in the past I have used it and it takes off more stripe than it should and with what folks say now, I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps as a one-time deal, as said above, or if really stubborn marks or something stuck on the film.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2016 09:41 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

P.S: I meant 100% alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.

Best,
Elyas

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2016 11:32 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comments would be the same for 100%

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 13, 2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once read an article about striping film that recommended cleaning film that had an existing lubricant on it with gasoline to help the stripe stick.

-makes alcohol seem kinda tame!

Years ago I had EVT magnetics stripe some of my (un-lubed) films and before I sent them I cleaned in isopropyl alcohol on his recommendation.

It's actually very useful stuff: when I have something to clean it is my second step after regular old tap water doesn't do the job. It's a mild solvent that does its job without leaving any damage behind.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2016 04:42 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use it a lot also Steve. I use in order of strength, alcohol, naptha, acetone. Need to be careful with acetone one plastic parts.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2016 05:55 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have IPA and it is very good for cleaning. It dissolves gunge, left-over sticky labels, marker pen, etc. But it is very powerful. Great for cleaning metal and plastic reels and cans. I wouldn't now use it on film itself.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Doug Thompson
Junior

- posted May 18, 2016 08:18 PM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: THE FAINT OF HEART SHOULD SKIP PASSED THIS RESPONSE!!

Okey, now that it`s just the brave, stout hearted of us here, I`ve used alcohol to clean adhesive off of leaders, although, when the stickum is hardened, alcohol doesn`t cut it. In that case, I use PEC12 on the acetate base of the film. On the emulsion, I use break parts cleaner followed immediately by alcohol on the acetate base, just in case a little break parts cleaner seeped around the edges and sprocket holes. Break parts cleaner doesn`t effect polyester base.

How about those Tenite reels, huh? I think it was in the `60s and early `70s that Kodak returned home movie processing on them. A plastic made from wood pulp, Tenite breaks down and gets a white dryish ooze on the reel and film.

I received the super 8 films my second cousin shot. About a dozen of them were on Tenite reels. Alcohol cleaned the base okey, but just smeared the white crap around on the emulsion. Soooooooo, out came the break parts cleaner. I tried it on one roll, and it looked better than the film on regular plastic reels. (Because it was cleaned and the others weren`t.) I did the remaining rolls, and they`re still fine.

If all this curled you hair, break parts cleaner can do the same if you try to clean the BASE side of acetate film with it!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC