8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16-CL vs. CX-350

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16-CL vs. CX-350
Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2016 11:45 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I try to learn about 16mm equipment, before I buy my first 16mm projector, I wonder if the Elmo CX-350 is considered one of the top high-end projectors and how it compares to the Elmo 16-CL. The 16-CL is usually priced even less than Elmo super 8 projectors on ebay and the CX-350 is much higher-priced. Do both of these machines have their advantages and drawbacks?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2016 03:05 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel,
The CL machines run quieter than the CX machines, CL has a halogen bulb (xenon machines are available) CX is a xenon lamp hence more noise for extra cooling. Bulb prices are cheaper for the CL, picture quality on the xenon machine will be much brighter and normally a better looking image with the same lens, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Daniel,
please note, that production of Ushio 350 Watt Xenon bulbs has finished /discontinued years ago. Difficult to obtain 350W xenon bulbs.
Go for 550 Watt Xenon, more common and still in production.
regards
Josef

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel,
You have to ask yourself if you need a xenon machine; I'm very pleased with the light output on a CL with an eight foot wide screen (even with a scope lens). I only do home showings and don't do auditorium or outdoor screenings (that's where the extra light output is needed). The ELC-HL lamps work well with the Elmo 16CL and they are easy to get. The Elmo CL is a reliable machine and there are many people who still service them. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 08:03 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is production for the Eiki lamps, such as those used in the EX-1500, 3500 etc?

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 10:10 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. With that information, I think I will get a 16-CL, as I will only be showing films at home. The other important question is about steady projected image. I have heard that the CX-350 has rock-steady picture. Is that true of the 16-CL, too?

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, there are still bulbs being manufactured for the CX350. I believe you can buy them through Urbanski Film if I'm not mistaken.

I started out with a CL, and was happy with it until I REALLY got into 16mm and bought a CX350. I can't imagine going back now. I sold my CL immediately.

Both have steady picture, btw. Also... I hate Eiki. Never get an Eiki. It's like a toy compared to Elmo. I have one I use exclusively as on ya set of rewinds [Smile]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mike, I'm stunned at that statement! I had an EX-3500 which I adored, it behaved flawlessy no matter what I ran through it. Fond memories of a friend's birthday party running a beautiful print of Dirty Dancing on a long play unit outside on a hacked-together 16 foot screen. Neighbours were none too happy.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 18, 2016 04:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great film, even better way to show it Stuart!
Happy days eh [Razz]

Who needs neighbours anyhow Stuart, when there's an outdoor screening at stake?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2016 06:26 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, right? And they were getting a free movie show!

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 08:10 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

EIKIs, toys? Ouch lol!!! N here I thought I had the best machine in my SSL-Os [Frown] ... Could anyone on this thread please elaborate with specific details [Smile] ? Thanks and cheers [Big Grin] !!!

Elyas

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 03:55 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion on Eikis may be in the minority, but I found them quite sensitive on splices, often jittering badly in the gate, and the projectors themselves seem more lightweight and "plastic" than Elmo which feels more robust and sturdy in its mechanics.

Just my opinion. There's certainly WORSE than an Eiki, but as far as those two more modern 80s projectors, I like Elmo much more.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 08:28 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you like your projector and it performs well, don't get riled up over the opinion of someone else. Eiki projectors aren't perfect, but neither are the Elmo machines. The CL gets a lot of ink on 16mm forums due to problems with take-up and the rollers that turn to goo. People tend to like what they have had good luck with. Debates are endless. Chevy vs Ford, Colt vs Smith & Wesson, Canon vs Nikon.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2016 09:57 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, Mike and Barry,

and personally speaking, I've never been let down by my SSL-Os [Smile] ... Fabulous picturestability, quiet as a church mouse, super gentle on film n so on n so forth n what have you [Big Grin] !!!

Cheers,
Elyas

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 20, 2016 02:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two 16 mm Eiki and one 9,5 Buckingham (which is a converted Eiki). I like the three projectors and have certainly never regarded them as toys :-) However, I must admitt that there is an Eiki model (I don't know the reference) I would not like as it stops each time a splice is not good enough for its mechanism.

--------------------
Dominique

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dom,

thanks for the shared love of, n heads up about, EIKIs [Smile] !!!

Cheers,
Elyas

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2016 06:09 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that a lot of this is about personal experience (and luck); I had so many problems with my two Eiki projectors (even after servicing), that I gave up on them. However, a friend of mine has owned nothing but Eiki machines for the past thirty years and is very pleased with them. The main reason for my Elmo CL preference is simplicity; the projectors are so basic and reliable. I dream of a CL made for super 8 that just shows movies very well without all the extra stuff.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2016 08:19 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Elmo CL but it doesn't handle warped film as good as my Eiki, and the auto-loop restorer doesn't always work.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2016 08:56 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no significant difference in the mechanical film transport between the Elmo CL and CX series. The CX-350 and CX-550 are Xenon bulb projectors, the CL series are halogen bulb projectors.

The only reason that the CX series is slightly more noisy is the extra fans for the Xenon Bulb. Both are relatively quiet projectors as 16mm projectors go.

There was also a:

CL-16 Xenon (250 watt)

CL-16 Xenon deluxe, (250 watt) which replaced the mechanical knob with powered servo-controlled push buttons to engage the transport.

A Xenon bulb should last between 1000 to 2000 hours of use.
Most halogen bulbs a few hundred hours at most.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC