8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell 666?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell 666?
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 10:47 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of this model number before, mentions it uses 'closed arc lamps' hence the external PSU. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bell-and-Howell-Model-666-16mm-Studio-Cinema-Projector-Inc-042000-Power-Unit-/182128904359?hash=item2a67ba88a7:g:ErAAAOSwWntXNLc6

Anyone familiar with these lamps, and what wattage they are?

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 11:22 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a rare model of B & H that was produced specifically to show prints of THE OMEN. In fact it is the only safe way to project prints of THE OMEN and its sequels...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 16, 2016 11:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The advertiser has hit the nail on the head as he says the projector was being prepared for changing the lamp to a different type.
He did not say that the original lamp (MARC-300/16) are now quite rare. Also, many operators who still use the 666 are fitting new more modern lamps.

--------------------
Maurice

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, what type of lamp would be considered a suitable replacement, and would it mean getting rid of the external power supply?

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 01:51 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there doesn´t exist a real replacement
bulb Marc 300/16 EZM is still available, mainly from USA/Canada price started from 46 US$ + shippment. Life up to 65hrs.
light colour temp. is approx. 5000°K (about same as xenon bulbs)
It needs 6000 Volts to ignite and need special DC supply for those lamps.
HTI bulbs like HTI 400 (400 Watts) would be a modern replacement but requires special AC supply (400Hz) and high tension to ignite. HTI cost 270,-€, life up to 300hrs.
If you use film projector 15hrs/year you need to invest new EZM bulb every 3 to 4 years.
I would recommend to stick with original Marc 300/16 EZM.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 02:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a mobile showman who has used the 666 for many years for large screen showings but is now having his projectors converted to use the HID 150 Xenpow lamps.
They do not just "drop in" but require considerable alterations to the projector. A unit called a ballast is needed to supply the lamp at its 95 volts, however a very high voltage is initially required to strike the lamp, probably something in the region of 2000-3000 volts.
The lamps give a bright white light (6500K) and have a good life of 1000 hours.
https://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting-bulbs/xenpow/lamp-hid-150#.VzrEYTHmrIU

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 03:01 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember using one of these for a film of the Crystal Palace burning down in a play. Due to the use of the auditirium during the day I had to put it away every night - the power supply seemed heavier than the projector and my arms ached.
The theatre was in Ealing and I think I saw the projector being sold at a BFCC. I did not consider buying it!!

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2016 05:11 PM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have just commenced final part of Zenpow150 HID lamp conversion on one of my Elf machines. The Venture lighting ballast just fits inside the hinged back cover and removal of the original lamp transformer certainly reduces the weight of the projector.

The light output is very impressive as is the colour temperature.
I am looking to modify the shutter blade position, in order to effect a solenoid douser to protect the film gate and indeed the shutter itself. The new lamp is of a similar profile as the original ELC but the end of the discharge capsule projects some 6mm forward of the reflector rim.
When this project is complete, my TQ1 will get the update as well.
I feel this is definately the way forward until more progress is made with compatible LED lamps.

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2016 08:31 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B&H 666... very good machines despite the relative short lamp life which could be improved with an after market mod by inserting a small value high wattage resistor in series with the lamp earthy lead.
I still have 3 of these units & all 3 are in running condition & used to use them for commercial outdoor mobile screenings set up on the back of my ute as a projection platform.
The 666 has a very good "Changeover" function IF you are lucky to have the lead that plugs into each machine. In my case I had no lead but made my own by swapping the sockets on each 666 for readily available sockets & then made up a suitable plug ended cord. This gives very slick changeovers just like 35mm plant running 2000 foot spools.
Frequently used the 666 in my outdoor cinema whilst still running film (prior to going digital) to screen shorts of interest & at times even features should a 35mm print NOT be available.
Image size outdoors was 7m wide & light almost as good as the 35mm Century projector which went to 10 wide on scope.
Very heavy units to lug about, easy to thread but very reliable.
Not sure what the fate of these 3 666's will be in the future as no further use by myself...probably the scrap metal bin will get them. A pity as I still have a stack of EZM lamps for them. Would be gross overkill to use them in my home cinema onto a 8 foot screen (for 4:3 ratio)as bit bright at that size.
Currently restoring an Aust made Harmour & Heath 16mm unit which is equally as heavy but even easier to thread & best of all has a Geneva intermittent unit instead of the B&H 3 toothed claw assembly. It is very gently on film & extremely quiet & once setup behind the porthole it will not be moved again.

--------------------
Lindsay

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC