8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Who says film is dead?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who says film is dead??
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 30, 2016 02:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Jurassic Park is relisted due to non paying bidder.

I am wondering why seller did not use second chance offer to the second highest bidder for a quick sale. It will only $1 different.

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 04:12 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Winbert. Makes you wonder doesn't it? or are we being cynical.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most likely did, but backed out

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 05:12 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why did he not sell to the underbidder

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2016 04:38 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Non-paying bidder" as a reason for resale is an odd thing to do - especially at the final price - since you can offer other bidders Second Chance Offers.

Unless they declined...

For that much, you could buy a really nice cinema video projector...

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2016 05:50 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Film Collecting" scene is getting as crazy as the "Comic Collecting" scene when it comes to "rarity values" of a specific
item.

Some people could just be buying them as an investment for the future with no real love or passion for the thing itself.

The point is that they could be shooting themselves in the foot in the long term if interest wanes over a period of time in the said item.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 01, 2016 06:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right of course David, except to say we have been hearing these very same things said since the dawn of the projected DVD with even a modicum of any success.

Even Derek himself advised that if people had valuable 8mm collections, now was the time to sell them, when he was selling the XV-Z1E.

The thing is, that was said at the end of the last century and nothing's changed since...except the good stuff keeps going up and up in resale value?

The only time things will drastically change, is once all the projection equipment no longer can be maintained.

We are not quite at that stage yet thankfully, but the day will come unless people obtain spares machines etc etc.

I don't believe the vast vast majority of high priced films sell only to anorak collectors who just wrap them in bubble wrap and shove them in a cupboard.
I still believe nearly all titles are purchased to use with maybe the exception of the trekkies on the Star Wars, Dr Who stuff.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2016 02:42 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only films getting crazy. Disney VHS tapes too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 01, 2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good, I've got a loft full of them. Get em eBay quick! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glancing through silly bay at super 8 sales it is pretty obvious that the hype in prices relate primarily to science fiction / horror with picture art. They are a few clowns on who obviously haven't a clue for example Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother with buy it now of £45.00 😄😄😄 I remember being at a mini convention and somebody at the buy and sell stall couldn't get £1.00 eventually giving it away.

There is a strong memorabilia market out there. It may be the next niche market for rich people to speculate on buying. Even 10 years ago a lot of sales I had were definitely to people who collected buy never watched what they bought.

You would expect projector prices to be rising but they are pretty stable and reasonable to buy.

Sad thing is a lot of titles are going to priced out of the reach of real collectors I.e Hammer Universal Horror Hitchcock Spielberg and Disney. Etc

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2016 10:12 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jurassic Park sold on its 2nd attempt for £1070.00

No... did not put the decimal place in the wrong position......!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2016 11:27 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the miltary utiluze 16mm when they could easily just use a digital projector with a dvd player or a laptop? Why would they bother with what they could easily consider a cumbersome set up?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 03:15 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only reason I could think of is that a valve (tube) 16mm might still work after a Electro-magnetic pulse from a nuclear attack. If there was anyone around to watch and some power available :-)

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 05:51 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian What a lovely thought. Let's hope it's not Dr Strangelove. [Roll Eyes]

Ronald Green
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2016 07:56 PM      Profile for Ronald Green   Author's Homepage   Email Ronald Green       Edit/Delete Post 
I always get a kick out of sellers posting, "It seems to be in good condition; I don't have a projector to run the film". And then they don't offer you any kind of guarantee. Interesting.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 05:10 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will tell you this guys.
If such prices for a print becomes the "norm" for
any print on any film gauge I am outa this hobby
for good after around 50 years of collecting.

I kid ye not.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 17, 2016 05:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It already is sadly David.

Only last week, a well described print, riddled in emulsion scratches sold for £680 on Super 8mm!!!

If this type of thing was all that was out there, I too would have already collected my last film!

Thankfully, this isn't the case, and quite why anyone would stump up these ludicrous sums of money for a print in this condition, is completely and utterly beyond me???????

--------------------

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a fit of madness I bid for a newsreel where the seller states 'No returns'.I won't usually entertain such sellers but it contained something I thought worth buying. Sanity has returned and the bids will continue without any input from me. Why on earth would someone put such a rider on a sale. I get very uneasy when sellers are unwilling to take something back.

--------------------
Dave

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave It is very understandable. In the words of Max Bygraves ' I wanna tell you a story' -
I was told this from a very reliable source. A seller sold something related to our common interest, let's say a film, I can't remember what it was. He sold it to a buyer in France and offered returns. He received a return parcel from the buyer and upon opening it found that it contained a rotten apple.
He complained to eBay and even supplied a photo of the package and the contents, but eBay upheld the buyers claim that the item sold had been the item returned.
Now that does not surprise me knowing eBays bias towards buyers and little protection offered to sellers, but also not forgetting there are more than a few unscrupulous buyers out there.
Here endeth the lesson.
By the way, I believe Max Bygraves retired to your part of the world did he not?

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 01:05 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now just imagine how much an original print on 35mm would go for. With Super 8 prints unless they are in mint condition as new It's not worth chancing especially as the format is so small in the first place. Which is one major draw back in purchasing and collecting second hand films these days.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 17, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily on Super 8mm in particular, there are plenty of prints that ARE in like new condition.

It always helps on S8 that none of these prints were produced to run commercially, well apart from 70's Soho prints perhaps!😂

--------------------

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But unfortunately on Super 8 your are limited in what you can collect title wise. As well as some titles only having a limited print run.

Along with new projectors being impossible to find in any format. Only time will tell.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 17, 2016 03:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All very true Robert but projectors should be ok for many many decades yet so long as the guys who wish to use them back them up well with all the necessary spares or spare machines.

Most of the electronics still remain readily available even if in some cases certain IC chipsets will have to be sourced from new old stock suppliers.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC