8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Why TV spots?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why TV spots?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people buy 30/60 second tv spots of movies? I must see hundreds of these on Ebay each month. I don't even buy trailers, but I know some collectors like them. A 30-second blurb for a movie? By the time you finish threading it up POOF - it's rewind time. It's like licking a lolllypop once and then chucking it.

[ September 06, 2017, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2017 03:42 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it could be that it's the only way of getting something of your favourite film to show due either to scarcity or cost of full length prints. I love the old trailers with their optical wipes and 'a cast of thousands' but I don't enjoy fleeting glimpses that pass before you realise it's happened.

--------------------
Dave

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see trailers as a sort of in lieu of replacement for "Headliner" editions that companies like Castle, Excel and Official issued years ago. At least with trailers you get a chance to sit down for 180 seconds or more if you spliced several together.

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2017 01:01 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some people like to add these "mini-trailers" for fun in front of a feature-length film which they are planning to show. Although not as long as a theatrical trailer they are still interesting to watch. I have a few that I have never even heard of the movie and/or have no interest in obtaining the full film, but think they are kind of a novelty to view anyway (for example "Little Cigars"...)
This may be similar to adding a few TV commercials purchased separately in front of (or within) a print of a similar vintage TV show.
Some of those old commercials are real classics...
Greg

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What most film collectors do is buy a bunch of them and splice together a trailer reel. I myself categorize by genre (horror/science-fiction.comedy/action/ drama). I started my 16mm collection doing this until I could afford features,shorts TV shows, ect. It's actually kind of fun. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC