8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Evasive sellers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Evasive sellers
Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 04:21 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I saw a film that would be ideal for a Christmas show. The screenshots appeared to show a scratch so I emailed the seller:
[B]'What condition is the film in. It appears to have a central scratch. Does this run the whole length of the film and are there any others? ......This is the reply I got:

What condition is the film in? - acseptable
It appears to have a central scratch.- ma be if you think so.
Is this the full length of the film - 12" reel
and are there any others? - others what?

The item had no description whatsoever. Needless to say I shall not be buying from a seller who appears incompetent and evasive, even though I could have made good use of the film.

--------------------
Dave

|  IP: Logged

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 09:03 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are so right! I'd avoid that seller like the plague, too. Who knows what other hassles are lurking around that guy to snare an unsuspecting bidder...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 18, 2017 09:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In such a circumstance, I suggest that the seller is named for possible future buyers to be aware of.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, that would be a very long list! Not too many sellers are totally honest about scratches, color, and splices. Most are too lazy to even post a photo of the film for sale, let alone actual screenshots. Some may have several auctions going and use the same vague screenshot for them all! [Mad]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2017 02:46 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes as Maurice says I totally agree name the seller

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 30, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest of them all is the ones who say,
"cannot test as i no longer have a projector but it appears to be in great shape".
Talk about dumb!!

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2017 03:39 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this forum is all about helping each other out so name the seller than we wont be had by this seller

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2017 07:53 PM      Profile for Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Email Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The films I buy are generally cheap. ($10 to $25) I call them 'pig in a poke' reels. I just gamble on em.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2017 02:30 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
I think you are being somewhat generous in calling it evasive. My opinion is that the reply you received is downright rude.
I agree with others that you should name the seller. You are doing us all a disservice by not doing so.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 31, 2017 03:41 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some sellers on there who you recognise and know very well they do have projectors.

That line DG got a while ago was amazing !!! as if cheeky to ask etc.

But there is an obvious effort to get people to pay more and just accept sub standard stuff.

There are also some people who really don`t have a clue as well.

But its the intentional ones that wrankle.

I`ve also had films described as really good,or excellent and its as if the monsoon has just broken out.

Best Mark.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2017 07:04 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One seller told me he kept all films underwater! I'm hoping it was a typo!

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this guy bids for films on ebay and them does not pay complete timewaster ebay id number aplimarti

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC