8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Finally got a print of "Bringing Up Baby"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally got a print of "Bringing Up Baby"
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 08, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing Up Baby (1938) has been on my wish list for about 4 years and I finally won a copy off Ebay last night. I should be receiving it in about a week. This fast-paced comedy has Cary Grant and Katheryn Hepburn at their best. Hope it's a good print. Can't wait to screen it [Smile]

[ December 19, 2017, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 02:38 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look forward to the screenshots there Janice,
I myself have done something i think maybe way over the top.
Not too long ago i purchased the feature of Waterloo on 16mm. I could only find an affordable flat version on Eastman stock. We got it and its OK, however, on ebay last week in the states i came across,(by luck) Waterloo on Agfa stock in Scope. The start price was only $175 dollars, (£135.00 GAP), i popped in the start price bid and won it.
So now i have the flat version to sell. Am i mad?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 08, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mad?....not at all Tom. Sounds very logical to me [Smile] . I have duplicates of two titles that I found better prints. This is sometimes the only way you can get films you like at a reasonable price. Congrats!

--------------------
Janice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 12:27 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi agree with Janice.
When we really want a title we buy what's on offer,then when a better copy comes along we buy that and sell the other.To me it makes the 2nd purchase cheaper because of the resell [Smile]
I know it's false savings but it works for me! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 03:23 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we mad? Certainly, when we can get a perfectly acceptable DVD copy for peanuts.
My own circle of fellow film obsessives agreed on that long ago, but what are you going to do?
Once you're bitten by the bug, that's it!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 09, 2017 06:18 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan, that is so true, it wasnt that long ago we were going to go all digital.
Then we watched a few and thought maybe not yet.
Then, just over a year ago i made a decision i was going to get rid of everything 16mm, at that time we had a handful of movies.
Then i found Kidnapped in scope, had to buy, then had to get a scope bracket, then bought two lens's to get the right image, now we have 18 16mm films and they are on the up.
Well and truly hooked with 16mm, (just as there prices appear to be going up as well).

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 12:17 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While on holiday out of the country, a print of 'A Man Called Peter' was listed at $64. No-one bid. I happened to see the re-list at $58 and mine was the only bid. Got a lovely unmarked LPP copy. There are still occasional bargains. Are you mad Tom? Of course you are. So are all of us when we pay silly money for what we can get on dvd for a nominal sum. But what a glorious madness as you load the projector and catch the first glimpse of what you now own.

--------------------
Dave

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 09, 2017 02:46 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very True David, [Wink]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 02:09 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I echo Tom's experience. I got rid of the entire 16mm collection, projectors and all, a few years back, then a machine in pristine condition appears on ebay at a reasonable price followed by a collection of films that I've long been after and off we go again.
Having said that, I do also use a DVD projector, as my pockets are only so deep!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 19, 2017 05:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My film finally arrived and I screened it this morning. I couldn't wait for it to get dark. I am so happy with the quality of the print. A great early Xmas present to myself [Smile]

-

The first reel came on an interesting style reel that looks more like a wagon wheel. I was thinking I would put it onto another reel...but it ran fine so I think I'll let it be.

-

Here are some screenshots. The contrast appeared good even though the room was not dark. All 3 reels ran smooth with no black lines and audio very good.

-

--------------------
Janice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2017 11:12 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Nice print Janice [Smile]
That "wagon wheel" looking film reel reminds me the reels that come with early Standard 8mm Eumigs [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 20, 2017 02:22 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never see a reel like that Clinton. I examined it a little more closely and have noticed the metal is a bit rough and pitted. It might be too abrasive on the edges of the film. I think I'll transfer the film to another reel. Perhaps I can clean this old spoke-wheel up...maybe paint it [Smile] .

--------------------
Janice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 20, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, that reel looks like a split reel. Does it come apart?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 20, 2017 02:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Michael ... not a split reel. Just a very old design made by Neumade.

-

--------------------
Janice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent print, Janice, and interesting screen.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 21, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations janet!

I always love to hear of a long sought print being found by a fellow film collector! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Christian Romero
Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Christian Romero   Email Christian Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on that find, Janice. I also really like your setup. What projector are you using, and, did you connect guitar amps to the projector for sound? Looks amazing, how does it work?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 22, 2017 03:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian and thank you for the compliments. I'm using an Elmo 16CL projector with a 25mm lens with a Elmo 16CL adapter sleeve. The screen is left over from a Sony projection TV I once had in the 80's. The projector and screen are positioned diagonally in the room at approximately 15 feet apart. With this lens I'm able to fill the screen almost perfectly. The audio is fed from the Elmo speaker output into a direct box and then output to a small Crate guitar amp. I then daisy-chain the output of the Crate to a second small amp. It still mono...but by adjusting the equalization on each amp I get a nice full sound. I have the speakers connected to a common remote switch so I can turn them on an off from the projector.

This is a permanent setup that also includes an Elmo ST1200HD right next to the 16CL. I do switch around the 8mm projectors from time to time depending on the films I'm running.

--------------------
Janice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2017 02:49 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, Janice. Please move to Bromley!
I'll start looking for property...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC