8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Need solar cell sound preamplifier board

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need solar cell sound preamplifier board
Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2017 02:19 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally bought an old Spanish Mayafot Minor 35mm film projector. It has optical mono sound as most 16mm projectors. The original sound preamp is long gone and the solar cell was bypass straight to the sound output, obviously there is no sound coming from the projector. I have tried various types of amps and none seem to work, I can guess the signal coming out of the solar cell is too small for the amp. Does anyone here happen to have a spare solar cell sound preamplifier board available?

Thanks, Julian

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2017 09:52 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had you tried preamplifier with microphone input? The solarcell output is usually the same level as microphone level. This should at least get you some audio.

BTW please be certain that the solar cell is still fully functional,or that would be just a moot point. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2017 01:41 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Simplex 35mm which I converted to a solar cell and just connected it to a guitar amp, with a jack plug. That worked very well, so I don't think you need a preamp. Are you sure the solar cell is working?

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2017 08:43 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, I disassembled the sound head, everything was a mess, terrible soldering. I was trying to repair the connection when the cell fell to the floor and broke, it split in two. So now I need to get a new solar cell. Do you happen to know where I can buy a new one in the US or through Ebay? Regards.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 03:29 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julian
I can only suggest EBay. A 35mm solar cell was listed just a short while ago. Asking price was £55 (too much in my opinion) and it did not sell, so it may be relisted soon. They don't come up very often though.
Have a look at this link. Wittners look as though they might have what you need.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=17&ved=0ahUKEwiL3M70garYAhXiJ8AKHVoaBNEQFghQMBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wittnercinetec.com%2FSound&usg=AOvVaw1YxRUcxYPBqVZH0KDkcZV6

[ December 27, 2017, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Terry Sills ]

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2018 04:08 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Terry. I just bought a replacement cell from a fellow collector from Uruguay.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC