8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Line Level Output

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Line Level Output
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 03, 2018 03:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few projectors do not have a facility for a low level line sound output, so here's a cute accessory which will help. It connects to the projector's normal external loud speaker socket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-TO-RCA-CONVERTER-HIGH-TO-LOW-LINE-LEVEL-CABLE/270662823340?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49925%26meid%3Ddc45f6b046374fa 6b4053a471400caee%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Des%26sd%3D361987845604%26itm%3D270662823340&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2018 08:34 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very useful adapter. This "tiny URL" link might work better Maurice .

https://tinyurl.com/ybzxl92q

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 09:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer!

(I wanted to build one!)

Can I pretend I didn’t see it? [Wink]

I got my first 16mm machine a few months ago and I need to plug it into my mixer.

The part of me that likes to solder was kind of glad there is no line out.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Direct Box.

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 11:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do these typically have external power supplies or is it just input and output audio connections?

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2018 04:00 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking about the Direct Box or the line-level adapter Steve? DI boxes come in 2 varieties...active and passive.

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 03, 2018 04:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it’s a general question. I‘ve never seen one of these and I’m curious how they are built.

I built a passive one years ago. If I do it again I’d go active: maybe add a little noise filtering and ground isolation if it made the sound nicer.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 03, 2018 05:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DI box does a lot more than just convert the line level. It will filter noise and ground loops especially if you have long cables. It's not a panacea for noise filtering...but definitely helps.

--------------------
Janice

Mac Rebant
Junior

- posted February 09, 2018 06:24 PM      Profile for Mac Rebant   Author's Homepage   Email Mac Rebant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for connecting a projector to a stereo system? I didn't see a socket to insert a cable jack into.

I connect my projector to a guitar amp and it works pretty well but I've been interested in connecting it to my stereo system instead. Will this, or something similar, work for that?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 09, 2018 07:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the DI Box to connect to a guitar amp...but I don't see whey you can't connect it to a stereo system. I would use a stereo splitter adapter to duplicate the mono output to left and right channels. Steve... do you see any reason this wouldn't work?

-

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 09, 2018 08:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,

A splitter should work just fine. That's what I used when I first started connecting my mono machines to my amp.

Worked great until I lost the thing! (Tooo many connectors and cables!)

--------------------

Fred Achberger
Junior

- posted February 10, 2018 12:53 PM      Profile for Fred Achberger   Email Fred Achberger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following this thread, I purchased a level converter. I need to solder a 1/4" plug onto it so that it connects to my projector. I was thinking that I could solder both left and right channels from the converter to the tip of the 1/4" plug and both grounds to the ring. Since the projector is a mono output this would put the signal on both left and right output of the level converter.
Does that sound right?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 10, 2018 01:45 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred
Not too sure of your speaker arrangement.
If you are using two separate speakers it is important that both are correctly phased, i.e., their cones go in and out together.

--------------------
Maurice

Fred Achberger
Junior

- posted February 10, 2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Fred Achberger   Email Fred Achberger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to capture the sound from a film so I do not have any speakers.
If I connect both left and right channels into the level converter the phasing should be the same. And the signal and ground connections out should be the same.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 11, 2018 03:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred
Phasing is important when using two loudspeakers, but I don't think there is any such problem with the set-up which you have described.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC