8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Projector (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm Projector
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 05, 2018 09:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only the later model of the Rank Aldis uses the ELC lamp, the earlier model uses the small A1/223 lamp. It is true that this lamp is available at a reasonable price but often needs adjustment when changed, and it also relies on the separate mirror of the projector.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Neil Massey
Junior

- posted July 05, 2018 01:53 PM      Profile for Neil Massey   Email Neil Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an Eiki NT2 which has given sterling service for 30 years. I like their excellent light output, the ability to thread it manually as well as unthreading part way through a reel, very easily and quickly. Parts are still plentiful and to my ears, I think they have the edge sound quality wise compared to the B & H TQ3s I've owned. That said, the Bell and Howell triple claw is an advantage in dealing with damaged prints. I am awaiting a TQ1 655 from Kevin Brown this week to try out. I like the really solid feel of them (worm gear issues aside) - and I remember them from school in the 70s!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 05, 2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are all these elf spares i keep hearing about? I dont seem to be able to find any. I've asked two or three times for items but dont get a reply or its a no [Confused]

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 03:31 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used TQ1s and TQ3s at the two film societies I ran as a student, and owned an Elf myself. I did prefer the B+Hs, worm issue aside. B+Hs are certainly more forgiving with damaged and shrunk prints. Some of my prints are 90 years old, so for me personally it's a concern, though wouldn't' be for most other collectors.

A repair man friend of mine pointed out a couple of defects with Elfs which many seem unaware of: the claw goes in to the perforations at an angle, not completely straight (one cam instead of two or something like that - I'm outside my sphere of knowledge here). Also, the sound roller rubs on the emulsion side of prints, not the base side as with B+Hs. For these reasons, my friend won't go near Elfs.

That said, I've always thought the late model, gold, slimline models look gorgeous, though never owned one.

Out of interest, I never owned a green B+H - I know they are older and use the older lamps, but are there other plusses and minuses?

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 05:33 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the best projector in my opinion is the tq1 644 optical and magnetic playback and record manual thread and a 25 watt amp I have 4 of these and never had any isuues with the gears and ran them loads of times I also like the 655 to I have absome of them as well my father use to say if you take of the back of a bell and howell you can see a well engineered machine .take the back of an elf and it looks like it been made at woolworths.re chris comments re green bell and howells not a bad machine I have a few of these for sale cheep and working and plenty of lamps to

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 06, 2018 09:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - I'm afraid the bad news, particularly for you, is that at least until 2006, an official Eiki spares and service agent used to be in Plymouth! This was Projex, who I obtained a number of spares and belts from, and most were already in stock. They also had spares for B&H, etc. Unfortunately, Bob Halls who ran it, had some health issues, which seemed to cause the company to shut down, but I never heard of anyone obtaining the stock, so I've always wondered if it might still be there. I believe the address was 39 Abney Crescent, Roborough PL6 6LH, so if you're passing sometime, you might like to see if anyone is there and knows what happened to all the projector spares!

As for current sources, I believe CHC and David Guest have some. If you're willing to order from the USA, the one agent I'm aware of who can still order certain items from Japan is forum member Richard Patchett, who provides a very good service. You can see what he has in stock via his website: http://rcsclassic16mm.com/

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 07, 2018 02:26 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank Adrian, very useful info, i remember Bob Halls very well, i think i may pop a letter in the door and enclose my phone number and and stamped envelope to see what i can find out. thanks for that. [Wink]

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,So it looks as if you pay your money and take your chance. I guess when you get electronics that are decades old, something has to go pop. Thanks to everyone for their input, I still have to make a decision, watch this space.
Regards,. Clive

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 07, 2018 06:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive - I think this is very subjective because we all differ in terms of what makes we have found to be impressive and reliable. I personally like and use 'last generation' Eikis (which include the ENT/SNT/ESL/SSL models) but I'd have to acknowledge that Eikis can be 'hit and miss' in terms of how well put together they are, and even a like new, hardly used one may need one or two minor issues fixed. However, one advantage they can have over most projectors is that if you're lucky, you may find a relatively 'young' one, as the above models were available new until at least 2003. In fact one problem I've never had with an Eiki is anything 'going pop'!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 08, 2018 02:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian makes a good point.
I have an Elf price list dated Nov 1992 - Apl 1993 and the SSL-1 and the SNT-1 were priced at £1353.80 and £1387.70 respectively.
The former is the slot loader, and the latter is the auto-thread.
When Bell & Howell packed up their very last models (in the 3000 range) were made by Eiki (Elf in UK) and badged as Bell & Howell.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC