8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elmo 16CL bolt size..?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo 16CL bolt size..?
Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 06:27 PM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently replaced the rubber rollers on an Elmo 16CL. All went well but one of the bolts that attaches the lower front plate was on pretty tight, and its slots got a bit damaged when I took it out. It still is usable, but I'd like to replace it anyway with a new bolt, and stock up on them for future repairs.

I've tied to determine what size it is but haven't been able to. It's small and metric and nothing at the local hardware stores matches it. Does any know the spec on this bolt? (These are the three silver Phillips bolts, not the larger black bolts some models have.)

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 09:23 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not 100% certain,but it could be some odd-size metric screw. My Sony camcorder also use tiny M-1.7 screws (or sort of that uncommon size,couldn't remember the exact fugure) which I fortunately attain them from online store to fix it. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 03:53 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do have odd size diameter screws on a lot of Japanese products, sometimes its the machining process, where they use machine s to self tap the thread, and you will find the thread looks like it has corners on it, best is to retap with a standard size metric screw thread, will be half a pitch different in most cases, so thread will start and then stop....

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I determined the screw size to be M3-0.50:

diameter = 3mm
thread = 50 per inch
length = 5mm

They are available through Fastenal, part number 91186, for only 4 cents each.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2018 02:31 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have access to thread gauges, this may confirm your info. We normally check with a overhead projector with the a pitch gauge drawing magnified with the correct profile, this would be placed in the light path to accurately check. It does not need to be out by much to strip the thread in either if forced......

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 09:47 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fastenal clerk and I did check my Elmo screw’s size in his set of standard metric threads and it fit. I will be getting a couple of these screws. If they don’t fit in my projector, I’ll let everyone know.

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2018 08:27 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased these screws at Home Depot (2 for $0.39) and it fits. These are 6mm long instead of the original 5mm length, but M3-0.50 is definitely the correct specification.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC