8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » EMM-A1/258 Lamp Conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EMM-A1/258 Lamp Conversion
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 12, 2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EMM (A1/258) lamps are now obsolete and replacements can be quite pricey. During recent repairs by Kevin Brown of Nottingham to my green Bell & Howell TQIII an adapter has been fitted which uses the easily obtainable ELC (A1/259) lamps.

The reflector and "innards" of an EMM lamp are removed and a 2-pin ceramic socket is fitted. The "remains" are wired to the two existing pins. Into this fits an ELC lamp. Whilst this is an adapter it also means that the usual EMM lamps can still be used, without the adapter, of course.

A small amount of extra work is needed to be carried on the projector to ensure that the adapter and lamp are fitted in direct line with the picture aperture. A small vertical slot is cut to the panel at the side of the lamp, this is to allow the edge of the lamp to slide in. This ensures the correct position for the new assembly.

Kevin does not have any EMM lamps to work on so prospective customers will need to supply a duff/not working lamp, and, of course the TQIII projector.

A quick glance of the new assembly in action does not show any real difference, and I recommend this very useful conversion.

For contact details with Kevin Brown please click below:-

https://www.yell.com/biz/kb-cine-repairs-nottingham-8723722/#

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2019 03:31 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi maurice, i did a conversion some years ago on all my bell and howell tq3's that had the emm 258 lamp. kevins set up seems very similar to mine, is it possible you upload a pic of his conversion?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 13, 2019 01:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Clyde, I don't have the facilities.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC