8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban scope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban scope
Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 03:36 AM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this was ever released on 16mm but I would love to own a print.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 23, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I regret your chances of finding one in scope are virtually nil as nothing in scope was being printed for libraries after about the mid-1990s. It's possible that the Swank library in the USA had flat or 'adapted scope' prints, though, so it's conceivable that one of these could turn up. In the UK, I happen to know that the first Harry Potter film was one of the last to be added to the former Filmbank library, which was sadly nearly all destroyed a few years ago.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 03:03 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'nearly all destroyed', Adrian? Did anything escape?

Louis Franchetti
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 03:59 AM      Profile for Louis Franchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Franchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16mm print lpp,adapted scope, im not sure if i will sell it but what are you offering to pay?

--------------------
Louis Franchetti

Phillip R Campey
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 07:53 AM      Profile for Phillip R Campey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sent PM Louis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 29, 2016 09:28 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart - sorry, only just spotted your question. I happened to discover that a batch of Filmbank prints was bought by an Australian film library before the rest was destroyed. It was a tiny fraction, less than 200, but better than nothing.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 30, 2016 01:24 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1996, I was told by a video's library owner that the price for a VHS that has a legal right for rental was $200-300. The same VHS WITHOUT that rights (domestic use only) was $10-15 at that time.

So I could imagine the price of 16mm come with that rights would be very expensive. The 16mm material cost would be around $2000 and then add up with the rental rights, you can calculate how much it will be.

Since only library that would afford to pay, the rest of copies must be destroyed.

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 01, 2016 06:15 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the crazy thing is to destroy all the prints without giving anyone the chance to buy them. An enterprising collector on this forum asked the rights-owning distributor if he could buy a 16mm print in the Filmbank library a year or two before it was destroyed and the distributor sold it to him for a about £70. There was no fundamental problem selling a print but most distributors failed to raalise that a quick 'closing down sale' at the warehouse could have made them a considerable sum and reduced the vast amount of prints that they then paid to have destroyed!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC