8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » So who is trying to steal the print of PHASE IV that I won?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So who is trying to steal the print of PHASE IV that I won?
Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2017 05:31 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won a lowfade print of the Saul Bass movie PHASE IV this week on eBay UK. Set my alarm at 3am to wake up and bid on it, even. Today, the seller Scott Johnston, aka filmficciones2005, emailed to say he was canceling my winning order because "it looks like I no longer have the print. I am unable to locate it"... he then refunded my money.

This smells fishy to me in the extreme and I flat out don't buy it. I'm assuming someone offered him more money after the auction ended. Especially since I messaged with him before the auction ended and he told me he had been collecting only about two years and he was selling his entire collection of around a dozen titles on eBay. If you had only a handful of prints in your collection, would you be able to just...lose one? I think not.

I emailed Scott, and told him I would be leaving a negative feedback unless he found this missing print that mysteriously walked off on its own, and mailed it to me. I also told him I'd be posting about this on the film forums.

If anyone here knows Scott, or has information on this transaction in particular, please let me know. I'll update this thread when I hear from Scott again.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 11, 2017 06:50 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - good luck getting to the truth of this. I agree it sounds extremely fishy and both parties involved would have to be highly disreputable to do such a deal. It seems suspect that the seller didn't say something like "I'll carry on looking and let you know if it turns up." I once sold a Super 8 film on eBay and found myself in the embarrassing position of being unable to find it. I unfortunately never did, but I conducted a very thorough search before concluding that I'd probably sold it in some other way previously, and completely forgotten.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2017 08:34 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds terrible Mike! I hope you end up with the print!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 03:28 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that I have done something similar. I listed a lens holder that I had previously sold and forgotten about. It was only when I went to look for it that I realised. Luckily I was able to cancel the listing before any bids were placed. Part of the problem as I see it, is that you lose the eBay history of sales and purchases after 60 days. Is there any way this history can be extended or reinstated?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 05:18 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An auction was recently ended on EBay UK with the mysterious statment : "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing." Who is going to believe that you cannot correct an "error in the listing" ?

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 05:42 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's frustrating Dom but eBay is part of the problem. Sometimes eBay does not allow certain parts of the listing to be revised, so the only alternative is to end the listing. It's my opinion that eBay has become too dogmatic and user unfriendly.
Not in any way defending the course of action of this particular seller though.

[ March 12, 2017, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Terry Sills ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 05:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom,

Cancelling a listing is always the right of seller since a long time ago. We can give that reason or just "no longer available".

The rule states that cancelling the listong is allowed as long as it is done before 12 hours to the end of listing.

But Mike's situation above is different. The listing has ended and he won it.

I guess there are 2 possibilities:

1. He got a higher offer
2. The selling price is lower than what he has expected

There is no way buyer can do other than to leave a neg feedback and name-shame in such film forums.

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 06:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can view this seller's items here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/filmficciones2005/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=50&_sin ce=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1
It's unlikely that he could loose his Elf NT2.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 09:33 AM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still no response from the seller (he was awfully quick to respond to emails BEFORE the auction ended. Curious it's radio silence now).

I've just sent him another message giving him til Monday to "find" the print and ship it. Otherwise, negative feedback will be left, and I'm contacting eBay by phone to discuss this seller with them.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 10:52 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this Johnston guy a member here?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 12, 2017 11:12 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Johnston registered here in 2014 and last posted in October of that year.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 03:06 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even bother calling Ebay. They will have someone sit there and nod their head and say, "Yes. I see your point. That's a shame."
You can't make someone sell you something even though you were the high bidder.
I just won an item over on Ebay France. I paid-then the seller told me the shipping would be a little more than he anticipated. I asked how much more and he said about 45 euros more. He said I can cancel the transaction if I would like. I said, "No. I'll pay it". Which I did.
Than a day later he tells me it would be a little more. I said "Fine." He said, "No. This is silly for you to pay almost what the item cost. I will sell it to the next highest bidder".
I said, "Ok. Apparently you do not want to sell it to me."
This was his reply:
"No, I would have liked to sell it to you, but I'm not sure that 160 euros is enough because I did not have the amount that had to be added for compulsory insurance. There are also many prints to fill ...
I preferred to give up. I apologize for that."
Meaning according to him: He didn't want to fill out the customs forms and the shipping might be even higher.
So-I could technically give him bad feedback-speak to Ebay-but ultimately I still don't have the item and I would of wasted some more time for what?
It sucks what happened to you-especially since its something you really wanted-I think we have all been there. But given enough time you will find another print and maybe better and cheaper.
If your seller did something shady it will come back to bite him one way or another. Just my .02 cents.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 05:03 PM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GULP! I just high bid on one of his 16mm prints, Assault on Precinct 13, starting bid `£100 and I got it for £102 plus £18-00 postage (seems a bit steep?)
I wonder if I will get the print?????

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 05:34 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
might be best to buy of sellers who you can trust

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 10:25 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mark Barton - GULP! I just high bid on one of his 16mm prints, Assault on Precinct 13, starting bid `£100 and I got it for £102 plus £18-00 postage (seems a bit steep?)
I wonder if I will get the print?????

Mark, why don't you tell him you are concerned because you read this thread?

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2017 02:59 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have left negative feedback for the seller (he never responded to me), and called ebay and explained the situation. They think it's fishy, too, and have opened a fraudulent seller investigation into Scott Johnston, aka filmficciones2005. If they find any "side selling", his account will be removed from eBay.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2017 05:34 PM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Ebay the expected delivery of my film from Scott is 18th /21st March, will let you guys know.

David, there is a film I want to buy from a genuine seller, you and you know the title , just waiting for you to advise a price, that I can negotiate on. Would rather buy from you than ebay, your sales final fees etc, saving you could pass onto me, (cheeky laugh from me)
Cheers

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2017 07:46 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print I bought from the same seller (Phave iv print, now missing) turned up a day early. assault on precint 13. I will be leaving the seller a positive.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 17, 2017 08:53 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've deleted a few critical posts here.

Mike,

Your criticism of Mark is uncalled for. His experience with the seller is different than yours (thankfully) and he has every right to leave whatever feedback he chooses.

In the meantime, please keep us updated on the investigation.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2017 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike ...

You;'ve just went thru what I just went thru here in the U.S. with "vetofilm". I had already WON the two laurel and hardy features, ("Our Relations" and "Way Out West" each feature for 25.00 dollars), and the person said that thery couldn't find them and refunded my money. I've noticed that since then, he has been putting up very few films and I wouldn't be surprised if the very same thing happened to me, he was miffed that the films didn't get bid up and he got an offer off ebay for them at a higher price! That totally pisses me off! [Mad]

I feel you're pain!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2017 04:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't understand why Ebay sellers list their films for lower than wanted prices then do this to the legitimate winning bidder - personally I will only ever list on Ebay with a starting price that is the minimum I would want that way I never feel the regret of letting items go too cheaply.

Kevin

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm...

-

I crossed the poster's name out as a courtesy to them. I don't know if this is the same print I won. But the timing of this acquisition, and rarity of the title, is certainly curious! [Smile]

Mike Williamson
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2017 07:43 PM      Profile for Mike Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke to the guy who bought this. I don't think he knew anything about my winning bid, even if it is the same print (and it may not be)...but the timing on this was too close not to share, even for just a laugh [Wink]

William Davis
Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2017 05:20 PM      Profile for William Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I buy prints from "vetofilm" on a regular basis and never have had a problem. He is Veto Stasiunaitis and is a long time collector and dealer. He is also very accurate in his descriptions of prints. Bill Davis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC