8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Have you got an historic cinema near you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you got an historic cinema near you?
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every now and again I get interested in the exploits of my local cinema; http://www.worthingdome.com/ The Dome in Worthing. It's a fantastic cinema which due to an odd set of circumstances has little changed since it was 'modernised' in the early 1920s'. The foyer looks a little like the Grand Staircase from the Titianic and the projection booth still houses pre- WWII projectors that require constant reel changing and adjustments to the arcs! In the room next to the projection booth is the massive rectifier with its mercury glass ball thing. It looks very like the time machine and has apparently not been touched since it was no longer required in the early 1940s'.

The Dome has been showing films almost continuously since 1911 and has recently re-opened what was the original cinema on the first floor. It's available for private hire and I'm tempted to look into hiring it for a Lightwater day, be good to get Kevins Xenon GS in there and show some super 8 in an historic cinema!

Certainly worth a visit if you ever find yourself in this part of the country, if you contact them in advance they will arrange a guided tour behind the scenes.

Be interesting to hear about what other early survivors there are around the world.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC