8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Lights Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lights Out
Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone

Haven't posted for awhile and would just like to say Happy New Year to all.

This as the thread says will be my last post on this forum I have decided to leave film both super 8 and 16mm to go in a different direction so to speak so I don't feel it is appropiate for me to stay as a member. I guess from names I dont see any more that others have done likewise.

I would like to thank all the posters I have met and the friends and knowledge I have picked up and the contacts I have been given.

Thanks Brad for giving the time and expertise of setting up this interesting forum. I would be obliged if you would delte me as a member.

All the best to all

Lights Out

Tom

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 07, 2005 06:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tom, we are certainly sorry to see you go. If the "new direction" is projected video, which I assume it is, why do you see the need to totally dump your interest in film projection. I fail to understand the mentality which says you have to dump all your films and film equipment if you progress into DVD projection. You will probably regret it after the novelty of video wears off.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 07, 2005 06:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to delete you. You're always welcome to come back and participate, whether you want to chat in all the forums, or even if you just want to restrain yourself to the Yak forum.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 06:17 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calling Tom McKenzie... Did you stay in video projection, get back into film or indeed are you still with us?

Just asking because as Paul wrote, maybe you have found your way back?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 09:30 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steven,

It's none of my business at all, since I don't know you or Tom, but was there something that prompted you to see if he was still around? His "lights out" post looks like it was from a long time ago.

No need to respond. Again, it's none of my business. Just a mild curiosity. I too wonder what happens to some posters that leave the various forums I participate in.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 09:35 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curiosity, really. Looking through some of the older posts and wondering if people have regretted selling up and have come back.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 05, 2016 09:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At CineSea last Spring a reformed collector joined in just to hang out with old cronies and reminisce about former times.

-left with a projector and a couple of films!

Moral: Once you've given up cigarettes, avoid standing where you can smell the smoke!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

As you're alluding to, there is a large social component to many habits/hobbies including smoking. I'll bet there are a number collectors that would lose interest pretty quickly if there were no other collectors for them to interact with. I've mentioned that sailing is another hobby of mine and I see old club members, people in their 80's or more, come down to the docks even though they're no longer comfortable on a boat, - just to talk and share their experience.

There are things I used to do and hobbies I used to have that I'm not as involved with anymore. There is only so much time in the day. In the end I what I'll regret, if anything, is not spending more time with the people that matter most to me. So I do prune my hobbies now and then, even if it's not consciously. I don't think I'd ever write a "lights out" post. I'd post less and less until I didn't anymore.

Film I'll freely admit is a hobby du jour for me. I don't know if it'll really stick, but I'm enjoying myself right now. It's more fun for me than digital photography but I'm not one to argue that film is "better". You can certainly tell the difference if you look closely and some will find the look of film more pleasing.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 05, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's, of course up to Tom, but as others have said on this thread, this fellow will not doubt regret moving out of film.

I did way back in the early 90's, got back into around 2002, and i still regreat having left the hobby, as there are STILL to this day, a number of optical super 8 features that i had back then in the 80's that i have not been able to find again these days ...

High Road To China
The last Unicorn

grrrrrr!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 05, 2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true: I used to "go outside for a smoke" at my old job, even though I've never had a cigarette my entire life.

A couple of my friends went outside for a cigarette, and I joined in to chew the fat.

I just make sure I stayed upwind of 'em!

I kind of phased out of film collecting for a while. I was in college and then grad school and then occupied myself with dating and the process that often sets in motion. I didn't sell anything, and once my life settled into a normalcy again I got back into it deeper than ever.

I could imagine this happening again someday.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 01:16 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I used to go out on a no smoking smoking break. Never smoke though. I used to get things wrong too. I always took my screen break, but got the times the wrong way round. Took a break every 15 minutes for 1 hour.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still trying to work out the math on your screen break schedule David, but it sounds like the right way to do it to me. [Smile]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2016 05:52 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm !!!

Tom's point about some collectors losing interest in the hobby
if there was no one else to interact and share with is very valid
indeed.

However it does not apply to me as I have always been a lone wolf
as far as my hobbies go so it does not apply to me.

I have always went my own way in whatever I do.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC