8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Martin Scorsese's THE AVIATOR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Martin Scorsese's THE AVIATOR
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We caught Scorsese's: The Aviator last night. This is very worthwhile. It runs close to 3 hours.
The story is chronicles Billionaire Howard Hughes, and his love of Flying.

The Vintage Hollywood sub plot, with Stars of the era, was masterfully filmed.
Unfortunately in facial appearance, the actress portraying Jean Harlow does not hold a candle to the original, and Jude Law's voice portrayal of Errol Flynn, seems out of sorts. In all, it was good that they were included in the plot line.

But Cate Blanchett was terrific as Kate 'the great' Hepburn. She had her down pat. The woman that portrayed Ava Gardner was equally as good.
Leonardo De Caprio was fine as Howard Hughes, and Scorsese's direction and cinematography was first rate.

The picture was shot with a pastel look that equalled early two strip CineColor & Technicolor films of the period, as the film evolved.

Incidentally, can anyone comment on the full length feature version of Hells Angels that was released in either Std. 8, or Super 8 sound?

What do you know, I get home from the theater, and channel 11, is running the censored (no cursing) version on TV, of Raging Bull?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2005 06:18 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
My wife and I went to see "The Aviator" last night. I thought it to be a very entertaining film, particularly for movie buffs. I thought the film was a little too long, it should have been trimmed by at least 15 mins, and it dwelled way too much on Hughes's eccentric behaviour. I would also have liked to have seen more of Jane Russell!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 10, 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that film reluctantly! I really hate watching Leonardo after "What's eating Gilbert Grape". He was terrible in Gangs of New York, not as bad in "Titanic", etc!
But I knew that if it was Scorcese it would at least be entertaining which I found it was. Loved the scenes on the set, the moviemaking system, and really enjoyed Cate Blanchet's Hepburn. And Leonardo, near the end was pretty decent. Great film? No...but very good! In fact this year has been great for films. Hotel Rwanda.. great. Sideways..great. Maria-Full of Grace...great.
Sometimes life is grand!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
Glad to hear that both you and your wife enjoyed The Aviator.

Indeed, more of Jane Russell would have enriched the plot of Hughes and his harem of Hollywood Harlets. The mention of other film stars within the Hollywood censor boards treatment of Jane Russell was amusing and good comic relief for some contrasting serious topics that were tough to watch and made the film a little long.

Scorsese is a very good story teller, and despite the lengthyness of the film,
it's still worthy to see on the big screen. I do hope that many film buffs will find the time and go out to see it.

I agree that the recreated scenes during Hollywoods Heyday were remarkable. [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2005 06:49 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be a little prejudiced, but I thought it was way past time people learned a little something of the great contributions to aviation Howard Hughes made throughout his lifetime. He also could make some pretty good films. I thought the recreations were very good, except the digital Spruce Goose looked silly. Leonardo was better than I thought he'd be and Cate Blanchett was so on the money as Hepburn during that time period it gave me goose bumps. Scorsese again proves to be a master still in command of his craft. I enjoyed all three hours of it.

David

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC