8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Stadium seating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stadium seating
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 17, 2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person in the USA who hates stadium seating? I know all the new movie theater's are being built this way, but I can't stand it being perched up in the air inside a cavernous black void [Eek!] . Guess I've been watching "Vertigo" too much! (It must be Kim Novak!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

The benefits of Stadium seating are few.
The pluses are that a tall and large person occupying the seat
in front has a less chance to block your view. The stadium
seats installed seem to be more comfortable, but
that is may be due to the newness of the chairs.

However, the design of the auditorium seating is not beneficial
to those sitting in the lower section of the theater.
The steepness in being seated in this area creates an overly imposing
viewing experience which is uncomfortable, especially making action films very difficult to watch. Fast paced trailers are overwhelming to follow, with quick motion pans along with flash edits which create a blinding experience. This along with the pounding sound is not only deafening
but overwhelming for the senses.

If you don't make it early to the theater your forced to sit in this area.
The upper area feels as if your sitting in the balcony.
It's a different experience altogether.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 17, 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael, I agree with everything you have pointed out. As far as my personal experience is concerned, I just cannot tolerate being anywhere close to the lower sections. The screen is so large, and combined with the steepness of the theater, I just get extremely uncomfortable and just cannot enjoy the film- any film. It definately is a vertigo like effect ( I look up, I look down, I look up.................). I am obviously in the minority, otherwise the whole concept of stadium seating movie theaters would have long ago failed. Anyway, I seek out theaters with traditional seating arrangements. If I do go to a stadium seated theater, I make sure that I get there 30 mins ahead of showtime, so I can sit in the back row( I cannot stand people chomping on pocorn behind me either!)

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2005 11:52 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again on this topic,

I got caught up in getting out to see The Interpreter with Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. It's a well made mystery thriller.

But with the stadium seats, and sitting up towards the back of the auditorium there is no air to breathe. You can almost pass out.
Not to mention when the heat comes up, along with the foul aromas of everyones popcorn, hotdogs etc.
Yecch. [Eek!]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Michael De Angelis comments and add to that I dont like heights. Ive been to some of these theaters that really bothered me because the slope was so steep.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC