8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » WATCH OUT FOR GAIN POP UP ADVERTISERS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WATCH OUT FOR GAIN POP UP ADVERTISERS
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a pop up advertiser promotion called GAIN and I am NOT referring to the laundry detergent.

Gain.com or Gator.com is a website that works with advertisers with pop up screens when you click on assorted websites.

This can be a pain in the a&* to deal with.

Two programs that collaborate with this program/service are called "Precision Time" and "Date Manager." If you download these programs you automatically download Gain software.

To remove Gain, first remove the programs that use the software as you would normally remove or add programs via settings control panel.

Then under Windows Explorer, click on Common Files, then highlight and delete the folder called GMT and gain will be gone.

These programs and pop up adds will slow down slower computers, especially those running Win98SE versions.

CG

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Its very dangerous to the operating system if you just remove a folder. I would go through the registry and delete any ref to items in that folder and the folder itself first.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys

Yes Kevin is correct, however these were the instructions I got from Gain tech support.

CG

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 09, 2005 09:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not necessarily dangerous to the OS if you delete folders under Program Files (now the Windows folder is obviously another story), usually it only breaks a few file associations etc. and that can be fixed by simply reinstalling the deleted software. But that just on the side; in regard to spyware in general and Gain in particular, you'd be best off using either Ad-Aware from http://www.lavasoft.de/ or SpySweeper from http://www.spysweeper.com/ - better yet, both - to reliably and thoroughly scan for and remove just about any spyware on your computer.

This has been your daily dose of geek advice. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 10, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Providing a prog has been removed using windows "add and Remove progs" in the control panel, yes you can then delete folders. If you just delete folders willy nilly then the ref to them in the registry could cause all sorts of problem even down to a machine hanging.
I get people at work ringing through to me to sort out their PC's because they wont boot up and very often it's because of things like this. I dont like the office staff installing software themselves and they know it. So rather than come clean they just delete folders and then the trouble starts. Now they are all virtually on 2000 and XP I can stop a lot of that sort of thing but it's a different kettle of fish with the few remaining users of Win 98.
Beware.
Another good bit of software for Spyware etc is available from www.spybouncer.com I have installed that on may machines and it's pickud up stuff that ome of the others have left behind. I would also reccomend the use of Mozilla based browsers and email clients ( www.mozilla.org ) such as Firefox as they have pretty good blockers built in. Much better than IE6 & Outlook. (sorry Mr Gates).
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC