8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinema Paradiso

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinema Paradiso
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if I am posting in the right place- it used to be so easy [Wink]

So, why is it that I am always the last to discover a great film. You guys must have seen this a 100 times but not thought to mention it to me [Big Grin]

It was sad that I had to watch it on DVD rather than in the flesh so to speak.

Fantastic film, one of the best I have seen this year. If there is anyone out there who like me has never heard of it, go rent it NOW you won't be disappointed.

For those of you in the know, what other films would I enjoy that I probably have never heard of???? [Confused]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2005 02:24 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, there are so many, but Cinema Paradiso is a classic! Not in the same class but on the cinematic theme is 'The smallest show on earth' with the marvellously dithery Margaret Rutherford and alcholic projectionist Peter Sellers, not in classic territory perhaps but available on super 8 and a marvellous tale about the running of a smalll cinema.

In terms of classic films that are not necessarily on a cinematic theme, and if you don't mind subtitles [or are fluent in French] you should try 'Jean De Florrette' and the sequal 'Manon Des Sources'. These are perhaps more in the league of Cinema Paradiso. They are two beautiful films based on the novel 'L'Eau Des Collines' by Marcel Pagnol and are based in Provence. Gerard Despardieu and Yves Montand star in both. Well worth watching but make sure you can see them through from beginning to end with no interruption - these are the type of films that you must lose your self too. [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 27, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

The star of Cinema Paradiso, Philippe Noiret, made a film in 1967 that is one of my all time favorite comedies. "Alexandre le Bienheureux (Very Happy Alexander)" is the story of a henpecked farmer who, after his nagging wife dies, decides that he'll happily spend the rest of his life in bed. He sends his dog out to do all his errands while the villagers do their best to drag him back to work.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2005 02:55 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Just watched Jean de Florette all the way through without stopping. What a great film. I am now waiting for the sequel to arrive.

Doug, have put that on the next to watch list. thanks

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Feeling rather cultured now that I am watching subtitled films [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 10, 2005 08:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with cinema paradiso, a great soundtrack by the one and only Ennio Morricone

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC