8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Bidding 8mm in Ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bidding 8mm in Ebay
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 26, 2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in a small country like Fiji is hard to increase my collection. I just realised that buying from Ebay is one of the alternative (shame on me!). However, as a newbies in Ebay, I could not understand the basic rules. I have tried to ask to the Ebay site, but did not get a satisfaction answer. So somebody here could probably help me.

This is my question:
If I place a Max Bid then no one can beat me unless his/her max bid is above me, right? If no one beat me, then I will win the auction with the least minimum bid that I have.

So, for example, someone put his 200" 8mm Disney in Auction with a small starting price, say $1 and I am interested with this particular item To avoid someone bid against me then I place a Max Bid for $100. It means, if other people want to place $20 or $30 or $40 he/she will be outbid by the system, right?

To my understanding, no one in this world will dare to buy this item for more than $100, therefore, it means until the end of auction the price will stay at $1. Does it mean, I am the winner of this auction and will only pay $1 to the seller?

If this correct, it means better to be the first bidder and place the highest unreasonable price for an auction. Or I miss something in the Ebay system, please Help me.

I know many in this forum are good Ebayer.

Thanks.
Winbert

[ May 26, 2005, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 26, 2005 01:51 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,
Well the best way to win an auction is to bid the highest amount you are willing to pay seconds before an auction ends.
For example:
If you want to bid $100 max on an item 2 days before the auction ends then literally seconds before the auction someone may bid a maximum bid of $150 and they win for $101! Then you have lost the item by one dollar. Yes, it is crazy that someone bid a max of $150 for an item that is only worth say, $50. But it happens all the time because sometimes WINNING is more important than the price they have to pay.
So to stop from paying too much for an item you sit and wait and with say 5-10 seconds to go, you can throw your highest bid in and if the highest bid from the other party is $2.00, then you win at $3.00! By waiting till the last moment to bid you conceal the fact that you are watching the item and the previous high bidder feels that he/she are the only one watching the item so they place their bid at $2.00 max. By bidding too early on you become the one to beat and your intentions are known.Sound a little like playing Poker huh?
And someone, even the seller himself may bid against you to see if they can raise the price! Not a good practice but I am sure it happens all the time.
As always never bid past a price you are willing to pay. Then if you win, great! And if you dont..then remember that no matter how good the item looked..soon enough there will be another one on Ebay that is Cleaner, in the original box with all the accessorites, etc!
Best of luck to you.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 26, 2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Alan,
Thanks for your explanation and that's also what people in Ebay has explained to me. But at that time I pretended to understand to avoid being seen as stupid. But here I dare to ask because all members respect each others.

My question in previous case was, is it true that if I'm trying to avoid someone bid against me then placing the highest max bid is the best way?. (note: my understanding of max bid, i.e. an amount of money which we are not going to pay, but more to be the limit of other people to be allowed bidding against me)

Yes, you are right that the last seconds are the most important time to bid. But if I have placed a Max bid $100, no one will bid against me and the bid will stay at $1. Say, eventually in the last second, there is someone bid above me for
$101, it's still OK for me because I am nothing to lose. Since my intention placing $100 was actually to close other people bid against me. Was in my mind when placing the $100 max bid: "if someone got the item above $100, I could find it somewhere else. However if no one dares, I'm lucky because I only pay $1"

Or I still miss something.

thanks,
Winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 26, 2005 03:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have moved this thread to the General Yak forum as I think that is a more suitable place.

BTW I use Bidnapper.com as this puts my max bid during the last 4 secs. The problem I had before using this is the fact that you could get a connection problem or your ISP may just go slow at that crucial moment.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2005 03:58 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the opening bid is $1 and you put in a bid for £100 your bid will show as $1. If someone then bids £20 you will still be the winning bidder and your bid will have increased automatically to $21. If someone then bids $30 again your bid will increase automatically to $31 all the way up to $100. Then, if some one bids $120 they will become the highest bidder but their bid will show as $101 because they have out bid you at $100.

Hope that makes sense.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 27, 2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo.O....Ooo....how stupid I am.....(shame on me!)That is the rule!. Thanks Mike, you found my missing point. Even the Ebay site straight explained to me the meaning of auction by disregarding my question.

Thanks and case closed,
Winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 04, 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, Dont forget that the four big dealers, Derann films, Paul Foster, Classic home Cinema and Perrys movies all have internet websites for world wide sales so you'll more likely find what you want within this group and i'm sure there are others. Maybe someone else could add to the list. I'm very weary of E bay though i realise there are some goodies on there. [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 04, 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well said Tom, yes as a new collector you will probaly do much better to go to the main UK dealers and you will then know what you are getting, paul Foster( fosterfilms) and barry attwood( independent 8) are particularly good at grading films conditions as they do film mainly so have time to look at them.
Perrys and Derann are of course excellant as well, and theres classic home cinema as well.
If you send me your address in fuji I`m sure I can find a super 8 sound film you can gladly have to help you fill the shelves a little.
A great fun hobby to be in to.
Best Mark.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 04, 2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question...

Derann is at http://www.derann.com/
Independent 8 is at http://www.bfcc.biz/independent8.html
Paul Foster's site at http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/
and CHC, of course, at http://valueservices.org/classichomecinema

But I'm not aware of Ian Perry having a website?? What and where is it? I've only ever seen his used-films sales lists on here (and some items on eBay)...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2005 06:54 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert,
look to the southwest for secondhand films-in fact,why not pay $NZ20 and join NZFilm Buffs Assoc and get the mag.Also,in Australia,REEL DEALS mag carries 8mm lists.$15A buys 4 issues a year.Email me if you are interested and I;ll send you the details.RD has a websit.(Put Reel Deals into google......Trev

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC