8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Twilight Zone reference in "Madagascar"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Twilight Zone reference in "Madagascar"
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 18, 2005 06:35 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning: spoiler below

Just had one of the biggest laughs watching Madagascar... [Big Grin] I love it! All the lemurs are in the old plane's cockpit having a meeting when the main guy mentions their enemies, and panic breaks out... And one of them holds up a book entitled TO SERVE LEMUR and screams "It's a cookbook! It's a cookbook!!"

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Now why is that so funny, you ask [Big Grin] Well, some of you may have seen an episode of the old classic Twilight Zone in which seemingly benevolent aliens visit Earth with promises of prosperity and an invitation for the humans to visit the alien homeworld. They inadvertently leave behind a book written in their alien language... and two scientists work on deciphering the title of the book, and eventually succeed: They translate it as "To Serve Man" - and make the fatal assumption that it refers to the aliens "serving man" as in "being man's helpers."
Only at the very end does one of the scientists realize it's really a cookbook - the aliens are in fact cannibals.... [Eek!] [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

Thanks for sharing this one on Twilight Zone, this was one that I missed which passed over my head. Now I get it.

I'm glad that you had enjoyed Madagascar. I started a thread on May 28th, and was beginning to think that I was the only one on the forum that checked out this funny flick which was made by filmakers that love classic films.

I loved how they parodied the 1968 Planet of the Apes as well as placing classic film scores in just the right places. I hope that more members on the forum will see this and enjoy it too.

Marvelous stuff.

Best,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 20, 2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planet of the Apes??

Okay, you've GOT to tell me. Apparently that's one I missed. [Smile] About the only other movie reference I really noticed (and that one was all too obvious, anyway) was the whole Lion King setting, with the lemurs and the four animals hanging out in the nice part of the island while the Foosa look like hyenas and haunt the dark, rocky, cold, deserted parts...

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan it was the scene at the end of the day, whereas the animals made props to support their skill to become rescued. There was a bamboo styled statue in the image of the Statue of Liberty that was accidentally set aflame. The effigy of the Statue burns down to the sandy shore and takes the likeness of the Statue as seen in 1968's Planet of the Apes. The Lion becomes
distressed, in never being rescued kneels down - pounding the sand with his paw - a 'la Charlton Heston yelling Damn You, Damn You!

The other two which I recall were the Score to Born Free at the beginning of the film and also the theme from National Geographic.

The entire idea of Penguins with gangster - conninniving behavior is reminiscent of every Prison break film made.

There are so many more that I cannot remember at the present time, but it sure was a lot of fun.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 23, 2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha... I never even thought to compare the bit with the bamboo statue with the buried Statue of Liberty in Planet of the Apes... brilliant [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC