8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Paypal through credit card

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paypal through credit card
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 01:20 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to do a payment with paypal, but since a lot of ebayers give a warn "not accept payment through paypal which was funded from a credit card" or something like that. I became worried.

Could someone explain what is the disadvantage if I fund my paypal from my Credit Card for the seller or buyer? Why a lot of sellers mention that warn in Ebay.

Thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 08:20 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,I use Paypal via my credit card all the time,both buying and selling on ebay.As yet(touch wood)I have not encountered any problems.Perhaps some sellers decline to use Paypal so as to avoid the fees Paypal charges them,hope this helps,Peter.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 09:31 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I echo Peter's sentiments here. No problems ever with PayPal credit card payments in more years than I care to remember.

As Peter suggests, some people have a "bee in their bonnet" about paying the fees, which are only a few percent anyway, but it makes transactions - especially international ones - so much easier, and in my experience is a great aid to selling as well as buying. Some sellers using PayPal ask the purchaser to add a percentage to cover the costs, but others, like myself tend to absorb the fee, which again encourages a potential sale!

Best regards,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I go with everything that's already been said. I use Pay Pal with my credit card and have never had a problem, infact I often won't bid on an item where Pay Pal isn't offered because payment [especially international] can be so toruble some otherwise.

I think it's a bit of a cheek that some sellers charge a percentage to cover Pay Pals fees, afterall, they probably attract more potential bidders when they list Pay Pal as a potential payment method.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then I have got a cheek (or 2) Mr Peckham [Wink]
Paypal can take money straight from your bank account or via your Visa debit card with a small charge but if you use a Credit card then it's a different matter. Credit card company fees are put on top of the paypal fees and this means you can be quite a few quid down on a large transaction [Frown] All a bit of a con if you ask me.
If you look at my auctions on eaby I say "If paying by PayPal a 4% surcharge would be apreciated to cover their costs" Thats not mandatory, but it is a help if the buyer does add a little extra.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sellers are NOT supposed to ask for more money to cover PayPal's 3% fee; although I have paid an additional amount both voluntarily (and not) several times just to ensure my buy, and/or faster delivery of something I bought. That's the whole philosophy behind using PayPal; you agree to absorb the fee when selling for the overall convenience. If you need to get the fee amount back, just add it to your initial sale price.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evidently it is illegal in the UK (not just a PayPal ruling but applied to any credit card payment service) to charge buyers a fee for using credit or online payment services to pay for goods. As a regular Ebay seller I feel I get higher prices / easier sales by accepting PayPal with no strings attached or surcharges demanded; even the invoice system now seems to have had the 'sellers fees' row removed to ensure no surcharging takes place. I sympathise with Kevin though, or with any seller listing high value items, as surely it cannot take PayPal any longer or cost any more to process a payment whether it is for £1 or £1000 when all they are is an electronic banking middle-man service? By asking for a voluntary 4% contribution towards cost Kevin has struck a good balance between fair trading and the reality of the PayPal / Ebay fees cash cow, but sellers demanding any % of surcharge is definitely not on and would likely deter many prospective purchasers anyway. Interesting to hear that PayPal only [Eek!] charge 3% to sellers in the USA Joe, sounds like it's rip-off time in Britain as usual!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Joe but they dont make it clear that they will wallop the credit card company fees on top if credit cards are used. Lets face it most people do use credit cards me included.
In the UK there have even been shops that have stopped using credit cards especially Visa because of their high rates [Frown]

Kev

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev
I've looked through my last 30 or so PayPal sales and can only find reference to standard charges and no indication of charges for the buyer using a credit card to fund their purchase. My PayPal account is a GB Premier type, is this the same as yours or are you charged CC company charges if you have a Personal account rather than a Premier one? What wording do they use to show credit card company charges have been applied?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, Mine is also a premier account. I have not seen any other indication from them except that on some transaction the amount is higher.
I seem to remember seeing an email from them a very long time a go saying that CC company charges would be passed on. This is the reason why they have been pushing for Direct Debit etc as the costs are lower.

Kev.

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paypal fees are cheaper than bank ones-in NZ.Many sellers insist on the 3% surcharge,I find. Only today a guy in the US told me he wouldn't ship until I made a further deposit....what can one do mid-deal?Pay up of course! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Trevor

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2005 06:36 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read all the posts on this thread thus far, I am bound to say that I have NEVER been subjected to any charges other than PayPal's. My credit card entries for PayPal must have been construed as "goods" rather than a purely "cash" withdrawal....Am I one of the few lucky ones??????

The solution has to be purely subjective here - either decide to go with Paypal - or not! I don't think anyone can tell someone else what to do here.

Best,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 30, 2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Dave here... What credit-card fees? PayPal itself is the only entity that charges me any transaction fees (for receiving payments from others, that is). Hmm. [Confused]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 01, 2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don`t ask for any fees myself, but what does really get me is ebay showing an amount in dollars when say looking at the US site and gives you a conversion, but then paypal give you less per £, very naughty if you ask me. Not least as paypal are ebay now, or at least they should list both the straight coversion and what you will actually pay with paypal once theve snipped abit more off. Grumble grumble and so on.
Best Mark.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 01, 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that conversion is meant to be highly accurate, anyway, so I always take it with a grain of salt. For one thing, who knows how up-to-date eBay's conversion tables are kept (if you REALLY want it up-to-the-minute, visit the excellent http://www.xe.com ), plus exchange rates actually vary depending on whether you're exchanging TO or FROM a foreign currency. I forget what the term for this is, but again, the aforementioned website provides some very useful explanations on this. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC