8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Off-Topic..Sincere good wishes to Great Britain (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Off-Topic..Sincere good wishes to Great Britain
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear the horrible news about the
cruel events on the bus and train stations.

Prayers and Sincere good wishes to
everyone over there. Hoping that everyone
is coping well with the situation.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 07, 2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God bless our brothers and sisters in Great Britain. Good will conquer this evil.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I present my condolences at the families of the victims of the attacks at London and all my sympathy with the English people with whom I feel interdependent! That God protects our Europe!
[Frown]

--------------------
Tony

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I echo the previous sentiments....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 07, 2005 09:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My heartfelt sorrow goes out to all our friends in the UK. May you find strength and resolve through your terrible loss. JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Many thanks for your thoughts. it is a situation in the UK that was once only too familiar but that was in the days of the IRA who had the decency to at least give a warning.

As far as I know members of this forum are all OK.

Like you are thoughts are with those less fortunate.

BUT these terrorists will not break the spirit of a nation. Never.

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 01:44 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst our thoughts and prayers must be with the familys and friends of those who were killed or injured in this cowardly act, we shouldn't forget that The Plague, The Blitz and 30 years of IRA bombs did nothing to dampen the resolve of Londoners.

I doubt therefore that the pathetic actions of a few spineless terrorists will.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 04:23 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Horrible day, terrible.
But it is worth bearing in mind that events such as this and even worse are happening daily in Iraq and get barely a mention and they don`t have the facilities to cope like we do. And that situation is something we brought about.
Its a sad time to hopefully reflect and learn and hopefully get to grip with why these aweful things happen in a thinking way.
Although almost 3oo miles away up here you can almost feel the countries horror and sadness washing across everywhere. Those poor people who have suffered!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best Mark.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto ditto ditto

Chip Gelmini
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly i know its wrong but i still say Mr powell was right in the 60's in what he said. Too many do gooders. [Mad]
I'm sure the soldiers doing the war (which only Blair and Bush wanted)will now do tit for tat.Round in Circles we go.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no easy solutions, and blame should not be cast upon anyone.
If at all anything, the world is confronted with barbaric individuals that will not stop unless they believe that they have fulfilled a need to destroy the fabric of western civilization. It is not easy to think or understand about the battles in the far reaches of the desert and mountainous terrain's of the world.
Nevertheless, war is horrible.

My experience was cemented for me eight years ago, when I visited with my wife, your beautiful country- Great Britain. Some of the sights which we took in were the Cabinet War Room Museum, and the Imperial Museum. Indelible images that are compelling and not to be missed by anyone visiting this great nation.

It taught me that Londoners, have a strong resolve and are not willing to cave into appeasement.

We were also fortunate to be on a half-day guided coach tour that took us by Allied command and onto St. Paul's Cathedral. This wonderful tour guide- (His name was Bert) told us some interesting stories of Britain during the Blitz. One about his Grandmother, in which she had the thought of returning home to get her dentures, in the midst of chaos. She was then reminded that the opposition were not dropping sandwiches!

Another impression, which I had mentioned in an earlier thread, was in returning back to The Hotel Churchill in the evening.
The hotel management and staff were very courteous, but the hotel patronage in the evening made us feel as if we did not belong in the hotel.

It was uncomfortable and needless to say, very discriminatory.
Our money is just as good as theirs, and I don't care where their birth place or cultural descendants originated. This commentary is not a blanket slam against all those who have immigrated over into England, only an observation of people that display rude behavior, and need to assimilate into a culture, and not behave poorly upon others. Words were never exchanged, only the harsh glares of those upon us unsuspecting tourists.

I don't intend to sound uncivilized, but perhaps some wily rugby players are enough to track down and dismember these lousy louts of society that created the mess on the bus and in the tubes.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly mate.
My name sake is 50/50 English-Greek, Born and bred here like many i just find it amazing to see this Great country not only taking in people from around the world as free countries do but bending over backwards to help them all have there rights here, i.e, build mosques, etc, (try going to Saudi Arabia & drink some beer in public and see what happens to you)and its all thrown back in your face, The first mistake was when in the late 60's-early 70's the law allowed a turbin to be worn in place of a crash hat on a motor cycle. Remeber that? My point is, as you say, this is a great country, but if the law of the land doesnt stop bending to allow minorities rights over the mojority then in my humble opinion you aint seen nothing yet. I know of no other country where local councils ban the flying of the trditional flag, (union Jack) simply because it offends a minoirty. If they dont like it then i'm sorry they shouldnt be here. My Father came here as a lad of 12 and always worked for his living and never once claimed off the state, and he fitted in to this countries way of life, (& applied to be here without coming in the back of a lorry) Not too sure about what you see on the TV but in the real world in my workplace,(and pubs),of well over a hundred the anger was boiling and what ive said here is nothing to what the general public say. The great BBC seem to always withhold that view being a Politacly-correct bunch.
We've now witnessed again first hand what happens when these twats donts get there own way.
Lets hope its over and London gets back to normal.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was really sad to hear the news about the horrible events that just took place in London. I know how they must feel as I was here in NYC for 9/11.
I hope everyone is well over there. Beautiful place with wonderful people.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I am saddened to hear your comments about the immigrant population in the UK. I usually make it a point of principal not to enter into Political discussions on these forums, but as I have already posted on this thread I shall make one more posting and leave it at that.

Britain is a truly great country and a country that is truly made up of many cultures colours and Creeds. Migration into the UK isn’t a new thing [despite the fact that many of the tabloids would have us believe t started in the 1950s] it has been with us forever, how many of us can trace our DNA back to the Viking invasions or the Roman occupation of 2000 years ago? For my part my Mother is French and my Grandmothers family are Dutch, for all that Peckham is a truly Sussex name and my family line on my Fathers side haven’t moved more than 50 miles in 900 years.

It is very easy to criticise the immigrant population and easier still to pick out odd anecdotes, such as the turban-wearing motorcyclists to prove our point. But we should also be very mindful of the fact that the indigenous British race [if there is such a thing] have thought nothing over the centuries of colonising countries across the world and imposing their own values and customs on there unsuspecting hosts, further more we are still colonising parts of the world as we create ghettos in the Algarve, Portugal and France. It seems that the popular press feel that we should have one rule for immigrants to the UK but when we are the immigrants then a whole other set of rules should apply.

Lets not forget that the terrible atrocities in London on Thursday were no more to do with immigration than the Terrorist activities of the IRA, an IRA bomb never made me hate the Irish, what anger I had was for the individual bomber.

Further more we should not forget that Britain should be thankful to its immigrant population for its current economic prosperity. The Financial Times carried out an exhaustive study into the make up of the Uks GDP for the financial year ending April 2004, they found that the ‘non-indigenous’ population of the UK ie; the immigrant population, contributed some 11% of that years GDP amounting to some £2.5Billion. However this sector of society accounts for only 9% of the total population. In other words our immigrant population are either harder working than us, or higher earners, or both, whatever, they pay more Tax than the average indigenous Brit so we can’t acuse them of sponging off the state.

All I’m saying is, it is important to make an effort to get to know the facts and have a view of the wider picture before making a judgement on a whole group of people purely on the actions of a few. There is a bigger picture here and however tempting it is to suggest otherwise, there are no quick fixes.

There we are, that’s definitely my lot on this subject! [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, moved more than 50 miles in 900 years? This definately sounds like a set for a Python script. [Big Grin] Carry on. [Roll Eyes]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 07:04 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys-

I'm very glad to hear that all of the forum family is o.k. (have we confirmed this?)

I'm so sorry for the losses that did occurr there and pray for quick healing for the hurt.

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 08, 2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, loved your post (the second one). [Smile] I can only echo all of your sentiments with a big "Yeah." Well said [Smile]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2005 02:57 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Do all your family members look strangely alike [Big Grin] [Eek!]

Me, I just hate everyone. Much easier that way I think! [Razz]

Oh, except you guys of course [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 09, 2005 03:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last point on this one too, my points certainly arnt meant to be racist in any way, (how can they be as i said my dad was a greek cypriot) the best way for me to sum up my point is this, this country does need to look at how many people from other countries actualy can fit in here, this is a small island with 60 million people, New Zeland and France are imense in size with a much smaller population and sooner or later something here will give. We are breeding our own grown terrorist who will and DO follow the policies of other countries, we are seeing the results now .
Couldnt help notice no one commented about some parts of Geat Britain banning the flying of our own flag so as not to offend others, are some people ashamed to be British and show it?
How about the Americans, I cant ever imagine that happening over there, Americans are very patriotic and i believe thats a good thing, and they too are multi cultural so whats the problem here,
BTW, how brilliant were our emergency services at responding, still the best in world i think reckon.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 09, 2005 04:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent this email to a friend on here yesterday and they suggested that I actually post it on the forum.

7/7

The troubles of yesterday were obviously very small in comparison with those that were suffered on the 9/11, but however many people are killed or maimed, it just shouldn't happen in what is supposed to be a civilised world.

They are predicting that the death toll will go into the hundreds as they are still pulling bodies out of the tube train wreckages.

I was on my way into work (by Motor Bike) at the time and actually work not far away from the area where this all took place. I have to say that at the time I wondered why all the traffic was going so slow and then of course I found out when I got to the lab and saw it on the Plasma TV we have in reception.

About an hour later the police told everybody to stay inside their buildings as they didn't know if the attacks had finished.
Our company got food in and eventually most people left by about 2 pm to try to get home without the now defunct public transport system.

There were three explosions on the underground which involved 4 tube trains on the circle line. The circle line just goes round London so you can get most anywhere by using the Circle line. Crippling this line has caused maximum disruption.

The city was very quiet today (8/7) and when I went up London's Oxford St to my Bank it was like being in London on a wet Sunday. The trouble with this type of terrorism (suicide bombers) is that just about anybody could be carrying a bomb and you don't know where they are going to strike next. Heaven's knows we don't want them to strike anywhere again not in London or any other city in the world but we all know of course that they will. I think these Suicide bombers have to be the most dangerous form of terrorism we have seen in our life times just like the ones that flew into the two towers. How they can think they are doing good in the name of Allah is beyond me.

Anyway just like New York, London will bounce back again proving that we brits are a tough race to beat and certainly wont be beaten by this type of Terrorism.

I feel sorry for all the families, like in new york, who have now lost their loved ones or now have relatives and friends who are crippled for the rest of their lives.

The Death toll this morning (9/7) stands at 49 with 700 injured but the police say that there are more bodies yet to bought up from the tube wreckages so the figure is going to rise.

Thanks for all the messages here on the forum, it shows what a close firendly knit group we are.
BTW The bus incident was virtually on John Clancy's doorstep and I'm pleased to say that he and his wife were at work at the time.

Thanks again, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 09, 2005 08:44 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*having a somber moment of silence*

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 09, 2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The immigration problem in the US is much worse than in the UK. Great Britain is an Island, so it is relatively easy to check who is coming into the country. Not so here of course, where we have a 2500 mile northern border and a 1500 mile souther border. Millions of illegal immigrants have poured across the southern border with Mexico, and the Bush Administration will do nothing to stop it. In fact Bush want's to grant these illegal immigrants amnesty and the benefits of full citizenship rights. Why? Because US Corporations(who are large donators to the Rebublican party) are eager to employ illegal immigrants who are happy to work for a fraction of the wages ( and none of the benfits) of US citizens. And also Bush does not want to offend Mexican President Vincente Fox and Latin American voters in the US, who form a significant part of the Republican voter base. It is ironic, and hypocritical, of a president who is always expounding about his fight to make America secure, to turn a blind eye to this most obvious threat to our national security. The situation is so bad that private armed Vigilante groups have been formed in Arizona who patrol the border and turn the illegals back or have them arrested. I have no problem with immigrants, the US is a nation of immigrants and I am proud to be one myself. But let them go through the same lengthy process and scrutiny that I and every other European immigrant has had to go through. If they are here illegally, kick them out! Wake up Mr. President!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 09, 2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, well said, and as you say, wake up and kick out the ones who are in illegaly (once there caught)however, welcome in the people who do it properly and are checked out. Like my Father years ago.
Those who openly support the scum who do these things terrorist campaigns, gather them up and kick them out, i.e, Mr hooky for one. Wasnt that long ago he was preaching terror on the streets of London, AND WITH POLICE PROTECTION [Eek!]
Hopefully this makes it clearer where i'm coming from.

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2005 11:02 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,a big thank you to all forum members who have sent good wishes and support in the wake of the London bombings,I live 200 miles away in Yorkshire but we still feel it here,an attack on London is an attack on all all of us,already there has been an arson attack on a Mosque in Leeds and with a large Muslim community in West Yorkshire can see more trouble on the streets,similar to the Bradford riots a few years back happening.Lets hope that the police make some early arrests and charge the offenders if caught,instead of letting them go home again as has happened in the past,best wishes to all,Peter.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First i would like to say how shocked i was and relieved when i found out that no forum members had been caught up in the horror, i feel so sorry for the families and injured, terrible, terrible day.

What ever the politics, there is no excuse for the murder of innocent men women and children. I am sure that decent law abiding peoples of all race creed and religious convictions are appalled by these terrorist attacks, unfortunately there is no answer to terrorism, no way to fight it, no winning formula, there will always be terrorists with some cause they feel is justified by the killing of people.

Sad day it was.
Chris.

Better get back to the alien space craft before they miss me.
Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC