8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » CAREFUL!!! Fake eBay message

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CAREFUL!!! Fake eBay message
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 07, 2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received an email from, I think, "aw-confirm@ebay.com" with a subject of "account suspension." This email is FAKE and will lead you to a fake website that tries to steal your account info under the guise of your having to confirm your ID to avoid the so-called suspension.

Be careful - don't fall for it!

When in doubt about any message containing a website link, copy that link by rightclicking it, and paste it into Notepad or something similar. You will then see where this link actually leads.

Just want to make sure everybody's safe - and don't panic if you suddenly do see an email informing you of a pending account suspension. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 07, 2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, are you sure your name isn't Miles Bennel. [Eek!] I think little Jimmy Grimaldi may have gotten one of those e-mails. Don't leave your computer on when you fall asleep. [Eek!]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 08, 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the... LOL... You are a funny man. [Smile]

By the way, you might be shocked to know that my computer is up and online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week... it has not been turned off in 2 years. Luckily I have never had any problem with viruses, worms or hacking attempts, either. You might say I'm somewhat paranoid, so I actually take great care to stay up-to-date with Windows security fixes and use various other software to protect the system. [Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 08, 2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
This type of ebay scam has been doing the rounds for the last couple of years or so. As Jan says dont use the link. Ebay says that it will never send out emails like that asking you to confirm your details.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 08, 2005 10:31 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Jan, I couldn't resist. Kev, I too have been getting those e-mails for several years, plus other variations of the same scam. Jan's right, don't fall asleep, I mean don't open them. Send them to "spoof@ebay.com" or "spoof@paypal.com",
Then delete them from your computer. [Smile]

[ August 08, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 12:08 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of these e mails but knew it to be fake since there is no reasion e bay need my credit card details. I just ignored it!

David.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received an absolutely genuine looking one supposedly from PayPal last month stating I had won an auction for a 'Model 25 Masturbator' and that $1300 had been taken in payment via PayPal / my credit card! It included a link in the email which I guess would have taken me to a bogus site waiting for me to input my password details, which obviously I did not do. The thing I can't work out though is how the gits knew I was after one of these gadgets in the first place [Wink]
If you carefully read the bogus emails from PayPal / Ebay phishers they ALWAYS minage two mayke a speeling mistook sumwear !!!!!!

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always send these emails to spoof@ebay.com, what worry's me as they keep coming, and they seem to be from the same people, WHY can't ebay do anything about them, they make enough money, surely they can trace them and prosecute?

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 08, 2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really... the Internet is a huge place and there are lots and LOTS of ways to spoof email headers. It's not just a few people somewhere doing this... but probably hundreds or thousands of them. That's a lot of IP addresses to cover. Cyberspace is full of dark alleys, indeed.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EBAY informs me that any time they send you a message it will always appear in your "MY MESSAGES" box in MY EBAY. If it is not listed there, then it is indeed fake. They also have been successful in tracking down where these messages come from , BUT as soon as they go to take action the domain is shut down (usually after some poor unfortunate people have been bilked) and then they move on. These people usually use fake id's to set up the site and are credit fraud predators who are normally very careful not to leave a paper trail.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a message via Ebay of a user who asked me a question about a film that I did not sell !By curiosity I opened the question and I realized that it asked for my number of Visa card to me! Well on I did not answer but I looked in Ebay to what the pseudo one corresponded which had 100% of feedback! That which sent this message to me used this pseudo to ask me the question! I do not know how it managed!
[Frown] [Confused]

--------------------
Tony

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one to watch out for is one saying you are a power seller, now this i fell for, and that is how they listed a boat motor under my name, but never did anything else, strange all in all if there is not a message in "my ebay" section chances are it is fake.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC