8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » £ Vs the Euro. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: £ Vs the Euro.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someting i'm not too up on is how we would do if we were daft enough to join the Euro. I may be wrong on this but from my observations and talking to various people i believe a number of Countries are regreting this particular form of money. Sad to see so many Countries who have been proud of there own currency just losing it in favour of a single unit. I know its easier for everyone to be on the same money units but i'm doubting its that good. Looking at the dollar Vs the £ we clearly,(at the moment) have an advantage over our friends in the states. If its that simple why doesnt everyone worldwide just switch to one single currency. I feel if we lose our pound things could go downhill.
Certainly going on holiday to Europe is no longer as cheap as it use to be. Particuly Spain. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 13, 2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All true points... but I suppose switching to a single currency for most of Europe does come with a cost of its own. [Smile] Not sure why you worry about losing the pound, though, as I recall Britain refused to join - are they changing their mind?

As for why the whole world doesn't just adopt a single currency... well, that would be a beautiful thing, sure (another step toward the utopian global village), but let's face it - the Euro was agreed upon within Europe, not America or Asia or Australia or Africa (funny how every non-European continent starts with an 'A'...never noticed it before) ... and God forbid someone tried to force the Euro on President Bush... [Razz]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally i thinks its shit. The Idea came from Germany and France and together (no offence Jean [Wink] ) they appear to want to have things swing thier way. This may sound a bit "here we go again" but didnt we fight a worrld war or two to make sure we stayed as Geat Britain, and not German?
Apart from that, How can an Island (and we are an Island like it or not, we are surrounded on ALL side by water) be part of Europe? If we were joined to France or somewhere else i could understand it. I'm proud to be British and anyone who tells me i'm European i always Correct them.
Oddly enough, if you call a Cornish person English they say, "no, I'm Cornish".(Bit weird that one [Big Grin] )
I dont think our Country has changed its mind but always stated that we will go Euro when the times right. What happens when your in it and times go bad.
I do remember we have joined the EMC twice, and both times F***** us up a treat and we pulled out again.
Jan, you asked why worry about losing the £. How would the people of America re-act if you were to lose your $ in favour of another currency invented by another country because they claim it'l be great for the ecomony. (How many times do we hear that?) [Wink]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Offense non taken, Tom.
The Euro is an interesting concept and it has indeed made things easier for transactions between countries. It's also quite nice when you travel and don't have to worry about changing cash.
The real problem is that since the introduction of Euro, all prices, in every single country, have been skyrocketing...
I'm worried about the whole idea of Europe now (and voted against the constitution last May). Things were difficult with 7 countries, more difficult with 9, even more with 12, almost unmanageable with 15... What is it going to be at 25? I stress we're gonna turn like the old USSR...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you Tom. I cannot imagine England without the pound note and the Queen's head on it. Hopefully Britain will always remain Britain, an island separted from the rest of Europe, rightfully proud of it's traditions and hertitage, and unwilling to be dictated to by the rest of Europe,the USA, or anybody else.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, couldn’t resist [Wink] .

Me? I say bring it on, I’ve got no sentimental attachment to the £ I’d be quite happy with the Euro provided the time was right for its introduction and that’s the crux of the matter. The Euro vote hasn’t come to the public yet due to a] it not being in Britain’s financial interest to join right now, nor for the foreseeable future, and b] because of the predominance of the xenophobic anti European press in the UK [ ie; The Daily Mail UUURRGGGHYUK excuse me whilst I puke].

I’m sure Jean-Marc will correct me if I’m wrong, but I understood that one of the major factors for France voting against the European Constitution was that it was weighted so heavily in favour of the UK? Not sure where this idea that it was all written in favour of Germany and France came from…

It’s easy to knock Blair, I do it myself regularly, but it’s also difficult to deny that he has argued strongly on the European Stage in Britain’s interest. Have to remember that Europe needs Britain but not half as much as Britain needs Europe, we live in a global community now, got to think big – can’t let our physical Island status lull us into feeling that we can do with out the outside world.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tom,

'Something I'm not too up on....'

Why not try reading a different newpaper? It will certainly make you happier. Not the whole world is conspiring against the Union Jack as some of these newpapers with small pages try to make you believe. Alternatively, just stick to FFTC, the Big Reel, or even Projections for that matter.

Seriously, I'm getting a bit sick of politics on this forum. It's not why we're here and it only upsets people. Shall we just stick to film related Yak here?

- Rob

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 13, 2005 11:50 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Let's not pound the dollars out of this euro thing now. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, Just read your reply, i'd already done this one so am amending it. No worries, FFTC is fine with me mate [Big Grin]
Just to let you know, i dont read the papers, just see the news on TV, papers are always biast on something. I certainly do not read the tabloid rags.

BTW, i did post this in general yak which states anything not film related [Big Grin] chief [Big Grin] [Wink]

Good points Mike, i must say as pointed out previously, if it was Europe that would be one thing,Can someone tell me how Turkey of all places is euorope, they have very little in common with us, in fact, dare i say it? they are probably more in line with those against our principles. They wouldnt allow the states to gain entry into Iraq from the north, (so much for NATO friends), which meant they had to go the long way around, etc, but going back to the Euro, i'm not sentimental about the pound, i truly cannot see how this ISLAND can be a part of Europe, we are a seperate soverign state. Just look at how quickly the Germans wanted our pension funds kept in thier banks, luckily we had the sense to say no. The one thing i hate about Europe and its riff here is the Human rights crap. You do need some but the evidence of the madness of these Laws bought in by Europe is seen on TV today with the representitives of HR telling us terrorists have rights no matter what the attrocity. [Mad]
Personally i believe the Euro is a part of the German take over by the back door. To fight WW2 to remain Britsh and soveriegn, (& very powerful without the help of Euro) only to gradualy become integrated is madness. As a previous post said, how many more countries are going to join in way outside of the geography map of Europe?
If you want to laugh, remember what Terry Wogan once said, You only have to see how close Europe is by watching the joke otherwise Known as The eurovision Song contest [Big Grin] That tells it all.
Any Americans watching the last two years of that must have pissed themselves laughing at Uk zero points. Funny that only happend since Iraq. [Wink]
Mike has said some very good points but although i'm not sentimental about the pound it is a part many hundreds of years of this country and is part of our identity.
I'm sure there are people here now who are not proud of being British, again, although not a Royalist, i cant believe the things said about them. How many tourists come here for them and how much money do they bring to this country, And what embassadors they are for us. Maybe pompass, maybe out of date but no doubt Labour would rather have the Euro and become President Blair. Who knows? [Wink]

And to end on a CINE note, the pound is good for those films from USA on e-bay for many i suspect

Oh and Jan,i love the dollar, lets have that here instead, cheap Florida Holidays for me.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 12:36 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I convert prices in Euro to Sterling when I holiday in Spain, France I find they they show I'm being ripped off when I buy here in UK for most things.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

The TV news tends to be Voyeuristic and sensationalist, if you really want to start to understand these issues and think ‘outside the box’ you could try listening to some quality news programmes like the Today programme on from 6:30 – 9:00am and/or PM on from 5:00 –700pm both will be found on Radio 4. Beware though people who think right of centre will tell you that the BBC has gone all lefty and those to the left will tell you it’s outrageously right wing – don’t listen to any of them, make your own mind up.

In addition, read a quality paper such as the Times, Telegraph, Guardian or Independent. Look at the ‘Comment and Analysis’ pages and dig to find the full story [as much as that’s possible] and open your mind up to the arguments of people on both sides of the debate.

We are privileged to live in a democratic country, we have the power to make a difference, but we have the responsibility to learn as much as we can about the things that really effect our lives and the lives of others before we make judgement on them.

Mike

Ps. The war ended over sixty years ago, I think it was mentioned on the tv.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 13, 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love dollars, too. In fact, if you have any, I'll gladly take them all.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i see what your saying,
today is a war of words only (thank goodness). Personally, i still want this country to stay Great Britain, with our own money and our own decisions. Many people did die for that.

Long as they dont ban cine [Wink]

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
""""....Personally i believe the Euro is a part of the German take over by the back door..... """"

Tom, Tom, Tom ...... [Eek!]

there are quantity of prejudices reflected again ....
 -

and why are you mention the ......

a) It was the formerly french president Mitterand which want the EURO.... and the formerly german Chancellor Kohl have to accepted it or otherwise Mitterand wouldn´t gave his o.k. for the reunion of West and East Germany......

b) If there have been a vote for or against introducing the EURO in Germany, the germans had vote against the EURO.
Personally I had accepted the EURO in the EU founder countries France, Italy, Belgium, Luxemburg, Netherlands and Germany.

c) I don´t understand these prejudices in the british press.
Visit me and you will note that the practices of life very similar in our countries....... Appropos practice of life: I draw simply the towels from the occupied beach chairs and put me on. [Big Grin] ........ We can´t doing the march, if we want to learn we have to watch british t.v..... [Wink] .... BTW.... I read an english march joke some weeks ago and it was very funny ...

The Eurovision Song Contest?????? That was a song contest long long time ago ..... now often wins those, who can swinging the chests best.... these are the true results of the televoting....

Jean-Marc,
big thanks to France and the Netherlands for voting against the constitution last May.

Rob, I like politics .....

[ August 13, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no no, i dont mean to sound prejudice, sorry if comes over that way, (the photo made me laugh though [Wink] ). I just feel that an Island nation cannot be classed as a part of Europe, to me its almost like saying any country near a larger state should merge and be part of it. I'd like us to keep our own identity.
Maybe i'm just not as well educated to put it in a better context.
Apologies to anyone who thinks i'm being blatently prejudice,

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can't clearly vouch for something that you just can't understand (any of you tried to read this thing?) can you?
You also can't vote for something that will, little by little, erase all social rights in every country.
And, you're right, Tom, historically speaking, Turkey is in Mesopotamia (ie- Middle East). I have nothing against Turkey, but feel reluctant to vote for a constitution that will, eventually, use Turkey as a shield against Iraq.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its that point i was trying to put across,
i do have an understanding of Europe, very much so which is why i prefer to stay a soveriegn state. Although we havnt given up much i see enough to no how Europe has overturned some decissions in this country. It comes to something when the Law of the land is set in another country.
I wouldnt mind knowing what our so called Euro MP's do for thier big money. Jobs for the Boys??
Again, as one other member mentioned, Europe? ok, but how many more Countries? How much further afield?
Perhaps we may as well pull in Ukrain, its only next door to Poland? How about Syria, thats next door to Turkey, then perhaps Morroco, thats only a stones throw over the water from Spain, like we are to france, [Wink] (only joking)
is anyone out there saying for gawds sake bugger off? [Big Grin]

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 05:14 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must say after reading all the different points raised. I feel that we should stay a island called Great Britain. We should keep the pound and I for one would be very upset if we lost this. I did not agree at the time to join the common market in the 70's. This country had trade connections that we gave up to join. I do not agree with the Channel Tunnel being built.
I have travelled to countries in europe loverly people I've met.
Each counrty different in its own ways. Just like Great Britain.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin that was put perfectly, [Wink]
it would be a shame for ANY country to lose its identity and ways of life.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we gat back to the politics of buying super 8? :-)

Maybe Derann should open a store in NYC or Chicago (cenral in the USA). We here in the USA could use credit debit cards/money orders/checks, etc in our form of money. Electronically, Derann's office could deposit into the overseas bank accounts and iniaiate orders. While this could drive up the costs slightly for their rent and ulitilies of office space; it would certainly speed things up in every other way. Even defective returns. If you got a bad print from the UK you could ship it to the USA office and once again upon receipt they would wire to the UK and a replacement would be sent.

This of course does nothing for the economy and the subject of this post....but gee for awhile there we were drifiting from the main point of this forum. And yep, I am pleased to have broken that up!

CG [Big Grin]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well chip, i reckon Phil Sheard must be doing ok as he has two shops here in the UK so maybe someone doing that over there ould very well do ok. [Wink]
I wonder how much Cine collecting is still going on over there.(just keep the dollar whatever happens [Big Grin] )

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip you have not broken up this thread. But maybe time to end it now. At least we got members views on a sometimes heated subject and sometimes now and again talking on different topics makes a change. Your remark Tom on Phil Sheard and his two shops is interesting and maybe we need to start a new thread on this or expande this to other dealers. Cleethorpes. Has any member visited these shops? Or know of any collector who has?
Looks a interesting place in the advert in FFTC magazine.
Maybe Phil could answer. Is he a member?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea Colin, i'll do a new post over the "other side" now. [Wink]
I was a good boy in putting this into "general yak" which if everyone takes note states, general yak about non- film stuff. [Big Grin] . i'm right on that one you know.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was in the Cleethorpes shop a couple of years back.
Where is the second shop?

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC