8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Rotating projections in old cinemas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rotating projections in old cinemas?
Tim Drage
Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Tim Drage   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Drage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi... some unrelated discussion on filmshooting.com messageboard got me thinking about this...

When I was a kid my local cinema used to have some kind of projection onto the closed curtains before the film started... it seemed to be light shining through a rotating cylindrical image, not a film projection... Anyone know anything about these? Ie what it was called, whether they were common in the past?

I'm talking early 80's here I guess, at a fairly old fashioned local cinema (ABC in Jesmond, Newcastle... no longer a cinema I think [Frown] )

The projection was of epic sci-fi ish scenes of stars and ancient greek legendary imagery if I remember right... as a kid it had a great impact on me, possibly because it reminded me of 'Ulysses 31', one of my favorite cartoons at the time! (and now for that matter! [Smile] )

I think it must have been an image on a glass cylinder of some kind, with the light shining thru the whole thing... you could see 2 layers superimposed moving in opposite directions if i remember correctly?

Anyway... I'm not sure quite what my question is! [Smile] But thought some of you might know what I'm talking about, and at least reassure me that I didn't dream it! [Smile]

Any links/pictures/info/memories generally would be cool, thanks!

--------------------
Tim Drage
Animator & Director
Spite Your Face Productions
http://www.spiteyourface.com

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC