8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Death of 8mm Film Forums (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Death of 8mm Film Forums
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2006 02:39 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am reliably informed that the Sylvester forum has closed the 8mm forum area.......

Is this the death toll of super 8 forums across the world? [Big Grin]

Guess we'll all have to learn to live without it then [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 05:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all. The numbers on this forum have shown a steady increase over the last year with no indication of slowing down. We have indeed seen new members join in 2006 and we are not that far in to this new year yet.

Having read a few comments with regards to the reasons for the "new" face of the other forum I would like to add that we on this forum do not condone the use of this forum for people who just want to "rip" others off or as has been suggetsed "collectors who are well known thieves". I think Brad & Doug would support me and Ban anyone we thought was on here acting disshonestly. [Frown] Which I dont think, for one moment to be the case. [Smile]

This forum is here for all serious film colectors and those interested in all aspects of the smaller film formats. With the steady increase in membership I hope it will go on for many years to come.

I followed on this post of Tony's as I felt there were some unjustified comments on the other forum and know there are some members here who were using both forums and may feel a little antagonised by some of those comments. Dont rise to them...and lets keep this forum going in the happy and civilised manner for which it is know. [Smile]

DVD and Film will live happily with each other for many years to come I'm sure, just like B/W film has sat along side colour film for all these years. Both technologies have their place in the current climate. Kodak wouldnt be releasing new camera film stocks if that werent the case and new mags wouldnt be coming onto the scene if there was no support for film. The various film conventions have also shown an increase in attendance figures so all is looking rosier.

Keep the posts coming, Technical or otherwise and any new members are more than welcome providing they bide by the forum rules.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 06:27 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, I`ve just put a new chap forward but he was refused joining for some reason, I`ve suggested he try again,seems like a nice chap, "Colin".
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark....good of you.

We have had a few members rejected recently which has been mainly due to not quite getting their registration correct. One of the main let downs has been due to the display name.

It should be "Your Name" and not "your name" a small point I know but it helps to keep the forum looking tidy and professional. We dont use "nicknames" or "handles". That way all members know exactly who they are dealing with.
One other important point is that the email address supplied should be current and reachable.
Observe those few points and registration should be a doddle [Smile]

Thanks again Mark, keep the new members flowing. Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 07:09 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

Interesting to read your perspective on this, but I think Tony's post wasn't entirely serious. [Wink]

As for the other forum, I think the change was overdue. Any film collectors that joined in the last few months specifically because they saw it was "for" 8 & 16mm collectors, as well as being for digital enthusiasts, were not likely to feel at home there.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 08:21 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it might help to do away with that sarky page on the register area.It just seems like a entrapment thing to get funny with you. Why on earth have that there if its not to be used. And of course on lots of forums that would follow on fine??? I know at least one person who was well into the hobby thought sodd it with that.
I really do think we should change that and maybe make it so you can just click on something to register anyway.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 11:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

"I really do think we should change that and maybe make it so you can just click on something to register anyway"

That was the point of it all, to stop that very thing happening. The thoughts are that it stops the passeres by from just clicking and joining then trying to make a nusance of themselves which did happen on the old forum. Those that are serious will take the time to read the rules etc and then follow through correctly.
I dont think that copying and pasting a link is really too much trouble. If you dont read the rules you will not see the link that needs to be pasted into your browser so you wont be able to join......good move me thinks. Stops the riff raff and leaves the forum a great place for you and the rest of the members.
Think about it [Smile]

Adrian, I agree with you and the seriuosness of Tony's original thread above. I know Tony quite well (personally) [Big Grin] but because of his comments I went across and read the posts on the other forum to see what was going on like other members on here will no doubt do.
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinions and that is the case on this forum as long as it doesnt get personal and out of hand and its that point which keeps this forum running so smoothly and friendly.
With the 500+ membership covering many different countries with new membership growing we should be going for many years to come without the need to change the forum to a DVD based one.
This seems to be a well focused forum for the serious film collector covering all topics from shooting right through to projecting with the package movie collector somewhere in between. If we dont lose site of that like other forums, and keep it a fun place for members, then we should go on for sometime to come [Smile] Kev.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo, Kev! The key words are "serious film collector". This is what keeps this forum alive and enjoyable. Real people with real names watching real film. [Wink]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo, Kev! The key words are "serious film collector". This is what keeps this forum alive and enjoyable. Real people with real names watching real film. [Wink]

Don't know why I have double posts. Looks like stereo posting to me. [Confused]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Wink] [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dan. [Smile] Kev.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great place that has no animosity or bad behaviour!
I think the set up is working great. Thanks to the great moderators and the higher ups!
Bravo!! [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 05:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You only have to visit some of the many Home Theater Forum's to realize how great THIS particular forum is! Intelligent conversation by really knowledgable people who all share one thing - the love of narrow guage film and film equipment. In comparison, most of the inumerable Home Theater Forums are dullsville, they are literally a dime a dozen, each with hundreds of posts a day which are impossible to make much sense of.
I like this Forum's requirements of only allowing real names to post- I like to know who I am conversing with, plus real names gives the opportunity for friendship and personality to develop.
So well done Brad, Kev and Doug- keep up the good work! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, excellent,
Very well stated.

It is enjoyable to read all of the positive support.
This is serious business, and we all love to keep
this going well, and that makes it all the more fun.

I always look forward to the support, news,
updates and comradarie on this Forum [Smile]

Thank you to all here, that keep this
a wonderful place to check in.

8 is Great.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must endorse Paul's points. When Forums allow people to use names other than their real name, it makes it far more likely that you will get offensive or dubious posts from people trying to stir things up.
It's also good that you get straight talking here that anyone can understand. Some boards seem to develop a weird language all of their own, which can leave you thinking "what on earth are they on about?"

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 27, 2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our only wierd language is...Elmo, Beaulieu, Pulse Sync, Xenon.. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted March 02, 2006 03:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stress Kevin's point enough about having a valid email address. It's amazing how many people are pushed through for registrations, yet the confirmation email bounces back as undeliverable...and at that point there isn't even any way to get ahold of that person to let them know.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember as it was a while now since i first registered, but is there space to confirm your email?

Also people should not copy and paste there email.

Just some thoughts.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 08, 2006 12:46 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be that some people worry about opening their email up to spam (or more simply, unrequested newsletters and such) so they put in a fake address, not realizing they're supposed to be expecting a confirmation email that completes their registration on the forum. But maybe that just goes right back to Kevin's point of those who are serious about joining this forum will take the time to read & follow instructions and indeed do everything correctly (and as a result, not have any trouble whatsoever showing up around here). [Smile]
Chris makes a good point, though - have people re-type their email address and put a note there not to just copy/paste it (as that would only copy any errors they might have made in the first place).

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 23, 2014 05:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By searching for another topic (I didn't find back by the way) I came across this one dated 2006. Well, the forum is still alive !

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2014 05:52 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there's even more than one :-) Long live the crazy people (that's us)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 23, 2014 07:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to look back on these old posts. Tony Milman's doomesday opinion has obviously not materialised, with this forum stronger than ever, and Kev and Dan splitting off to form their own smaller forums.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 11:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the forums are obviously still here, and I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am most happy to have all of you fine folks in my life!

Cheers!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 01:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Numbers are on the up on an almost daily basis, over 200 new members on here in this past year! I don't believe the forums or the interest in real film is going anywhere apart from onwards and upwards...do you?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But where are some of those people that frequented the forum?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC