8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » orignnal star wars movies coming to dvd?. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: orignnal star wars movies coming to dvd?.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi there fellow members,is it true that mr.lucas is set to release the star wars movies again.
but this time without the added scenes.
that means the way we the public saw them in
i wonder why?.andy.

|  IP: Logged

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be able to sync pulse them with the Super-8 version perhaps? [Big Grin] Well, just wishful thinking [Smile]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
yes that would be possible.it would be nice too.andy.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Technically the original films are a bonus disc, as for the 1st time Lucas is releassing the special editions seperately, and the original cuts are being released as an extra, there going to be widescreen, but only DD2.0 (Doly Pro Logic) sound, and they will only be available for I believe 3 months.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the info barry.so the original movies will have the same soundtracks as the old laser discs.
should have good quailty sound.andy.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 02:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But probably not as good as the laser discs!!!

Still, it's good the bloke has finally come to his senses. Now everyone can sling away all that butchered re-hashed rubbish and see the films as they really were.

Now that should get some debate going!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fear that this is only a rumor - like the DVD-Versions of Episode I, II and III that enables you to switch to a version without any apperance of Jar Jar Binks [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 30, 2006 08:38 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only there was a DVD version of Episode I that refused to let itself be played!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, 14 year-old laserdisc transfers are being used for the original trilogy with no anamorphic enhancement for widescreen televisions. Lucas claims the originals 'no longer exist' so newer elements are not available for transfer.

Many fans are planning to pass on this debacle in protest.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 30, 2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just want we need for pulse sync with the versions on super 8 [Smile] Rleased by Derann and the German lab.
The vesions on super 8 are the same cut as the original LD's and VHS tapes so for the pulse sync fans this is great news. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i dont think it matters robert.its star wars.i agree with you
john that lucas has at last bowed to public presure.
or maybe he needs the dosh?.andy.

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 06:46 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It matters to a lot of people, Andrew. Home Theatre forum has a 47 page thread devoted to just this issue. The die -hard fans who were pushing for the original trilogy are also the ones who are most vocal about quality of the discs. The casual fans will see no need to upgrade to a new edition just because it has the 'old' versions of the films as bonuses.

With the massive improvements in video transfer technology in the 14 years since the laser masters were created the originals will look dull indeed to anyone with a decent video system.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 30, 2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please.... no more Jar Jar Binks hate! I never did understand what kind of problem people had with the character!!! [Mad]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 10:48 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never recognized the
parallel, but some ethnic
and political groups mentioned
Jar Jar Binks persona
to the Black Hollywood character actor
Stepin Fetchit. [Confused]

Stepin Fetchit / Wikipedia Encyclopedia

CNN news on Jar Jar

Jar Jar controversy - Wikipedia

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 30, 2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did I just say? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2006 01:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I doubt the quality of new DVD's created from the laser disc masters will actually offer better quality than the laser discs. If I see one of these DVD's (if they are really going to be released) and it looks superior to the equivalent laser disc I'm going to run a lens cleaner through the laser player immediately.

P.S. I thought Jar Jar Binks was hilarious.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2006 02:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i with you on that one john
i think lucas did listen to
the public outrage to the beloved star wars.
the messeage is simple-no tinkering or glossing over
of those sci-fi classics.
i wonder why the negs.are no longer availble.
its a shame.andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 01, 2006 04:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I'm really surprised that the original negs no longer exist. Maybe they were damaged etc in all the subsequent messing over the years.

I have to say that the versions I have on LD are excellent and at least they dont have any lossy compresion. Maybe this is the reason he's using LD. I'm also surprised that he cant get his hand s on any High Band masters because I would think that would have been the route the LD's and various video formats would have come from.

Strange story indeed.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2006 05:43 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a case of wait and see on this, as I can't see Lucas actually releasing a sub-standard picture quality DVD, he'll get away with the DD2.0 soundtrack, that how it was originally recorded anyway, but I think we may get a pleasant surprise (hopefully, anyway!).

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2006 09:27 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas has the unique gift
in presenting a shroud
of mystery and suspicion
for the devotees of Star Wars.

I'm confused.

Does this indicate that
these films will not be released in
widescreen on the DVD? [Confused]

In today's 'digital age,'
it just seems incomprehensible.

It seems reminiscent in comparing
two versions of The Unholy Three
with Lon Chaney.

BTW, I too enjoyed Jar Jar Binks.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 01, 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we could change Jan's title from "Darth 8mm" to "Jan Jan" ?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 01, 2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you change yours to Jabba The Doug [Razz]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2006 03:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas appears to be leading people up the garden path here... the original negatives were restored in 1997. Where the orginal had deteriorated to an extent where it was unusable for all practical purposes Lucas presented one of his two personal Technicolor prints of the film. From this new sections of the damaged (i.e. faded) negative were struck. Once the whole of the original negative was restored and preserved on new safety stock then work on re-hashing the film commenced. But the important thing here is the original negative was salvaged before it had deteriorated to the extent of being unusable.

But even if he does resort to producing the DVD from the laser disc master there is no reason for it not to be in widescreen as they appeared letterbox on laser. Also, 16x9 was first developed on laser disc even though it never made an appearance on sell-through discs. I just wish I knew what the 16x9 button on my Pioneer LD 1750 actually did.

Finally, if the original Dolby Stereo tracks are encoded into Dolby Digital they are unlikely to be as good as the genuine Dolby Stereo tracks on the laser disc.

--------------------

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2006 07:34 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many cannot understand why the 5 channel mix from the 70mm prints will not be used.

It's almost as if Lucas is deliberately stacking the deck to make the revised versions appear better in every way.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC