8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blue Ray a non starter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue Ray a non starter?
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2006 09:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read this article from the highly respected Evan Powell at the Projector Central Website:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm

Looks like Blue Ray is already dead in the water.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 11:44 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regard to item 1) Which format currently presents a superior picture is open to debate, it all boils down to which site you're reading the reviews on. Once a title is released in both formats and a direct A/B comparison can be made we should know the naked truth.

What this article doesn't take into account is computer media, which format will be adopted as the next generation read/write technology. This will prove to be a huge market.

Last but not least, Sony PS3, this will bring in the teenager nerd geek groupies.

AS far as I'm concerned its far too early to tell, the war hasn't started yet. I was a first generation DVD purchaser but I'm going to sit this one out for a spell...

[ July 15, 2006, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: John Cook ]

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 04:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
you know,i thought id seen the last of the format wars.
but from what ive read it seems sony hasn't leart a bloody thing.
i too will wait and see.here in the u.k.the blu-ray/hd-dvd
aint in the shops yet.andy.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 15, 2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm understanding the article correctly, the quality difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is partly due to the fact that Blu-Ray still uses MPEG2 for video encoding, rather than the more advanced MPEG4/VC1 codec. Since MPEG2 yields relatively large amounts of data, particularly at these high resolutions, the 25GB capacity of the Blu-Ray disc seems to be a limiting factor in terms of bit rate and thus, video quality/absence of encoding artifacts.

As for Blu-Ray being included in Sony's PS3, not sure if that's really going to matter to movie aficionados. Unless capable Blu-Ray drives come out for PCs and Macs (and can beat HD-DVD storage), I see no reason why HD-DVD shouldn't in fact beat out Blu-Ray both in movies and data storage - in fact delegating Blu-Ray to just another video game format in the process.

Anyway, these are just my impressions from all I'm reading so far, and I still have to see for myself what either format is (and will be) capable of doing. Then again, this format war may well be decided by the opinions that end up prevailing with the mass consumers, and not by the actual strengths and weaknesses of each format. Sounds familiar, right? But what may be different this time around is that the superior format may actually win. We'll see...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2006 04:05 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Ricoh has created a simple (and hence cheap) approach for a modified optics that allows any device to read CDs, DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/75270
They're working on an optics for writing, too... Maybe you don't have to decide between HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays at all - just choose a multi-format-device [Wink]

Jörg

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The battle is starting to heat up a bit, this is what I've been waiting for, something to slap into the HTPC and augment my current Home Theater TPC.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2006/07/sony_unveils_fi.php

I would expect street prices to be lower than stated in the article. Some where I read that current HD-DVD pc equipment is still pretty costly. I can see installing one of each some day.

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC