8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Superman Returns!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superman Returns!
Bernard C. G. Pritchard
Junior

- posted July 15, 2006 04:16 AM      Profile for Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Author's Homepage   Email Bernard C. G. Pritchard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Pals,
Many thanks for the warm welcome on my first posting (M. Hulot).
Last night the family saw the new Superman epic. (Wife and self in evening, one son p.m., t'other son in London at late night 3D Imax show - wow!) We are all Superman fans - the lads were brought up on the Fleischer 40's cartoons (Super 8) and the 400' & 3x400' digests and trailers. There's quite a bit of memorabilia too.
I won't give away any plot developments, but it was an enjoyable show. Some criticism: the sound was often uncomfortably loud to the extent that the cinema sound system distorted (I would have been disappointed with this quality at a home show - it's not just my age!) I thought there were too many over-long action pieces - despite some excellent FX - in favour of narrative and drama, and the Clark Kent role was diminished. I know Mr Reeve is a very hard act to follow, but the film seemed to lack much of the charm and wit of the earlier ones (I know they vary in quality). Listen out for some subtle references though, and some repeated or adapted lines.
For the first half hour I started trying to imagine the edit points for a cutdown, but then got carried away with the yarn.
I remember leaving the cinema after S1 and 2 feeling utterly over-awed and amazed, but didn't this time.
Overall, I would recommend the film for a good piece of blockbusting entertainment; it would be interesting to hear what others think.
Happy viewing!
Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 04:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi,saw SUPERMAN RETURNS and enjoyed it.the nodds to the 1978
classic are there for all to see.
all in all great fun for all the family.andy.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2006 08:01 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Superman 1 and 2 are hard acts to follow. I also grew up with the George Reeves series on TV as a kid. I saw the first one at Village-Hoyts Greensborogh Twin, the second at Village Reservoir Cinema North and the third at Village Northland drive-in.

The difference between these and Superman returns is the first three I saw in mostly packed houses, currently Superman R. is being trampled by Pirates everywhere they play against each other. The studios need to not crowd the US summer dates; a good film will fire regardless. Superman Returns (a solid film) is losing ground, where it would have fared much better not having to come up against one of the biggest BO films of all time in Pirates 2.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2006 06:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bernard
I watched this new film last week and enjoyed it, in particular the scene of the shuttle blasting into space, great special effects overall I felt the film was well done, pity about the sound you encountered sadly this seems to be the trend. The cinema where I work we monitor the sound level and focus all the time so problems of that nature dont occur, Bernard welcome to the forum. [Smile]
Graham.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 17, 2006 08:18 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you would come to New York where I saw it! It wasn't blurry but the sound wasn't loud enough and worst of all...all the scenes that were white showed the dirty, ripped screen behind it. BTW- I saw this film at the Kaufman/Astoria theatre in Queens. I knew I should of seen it at the IMAX! Grr...!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC