8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Vinyl Resurgence (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vinyl Resurgence
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2006 05:56 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

Exactly.

Mike [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know what M31 is Mark!!!!!!!!

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a crime novel to me........

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the sentiments expressed throughout this thread.

I too, am a lover of the analogue sound and vision. My hi-fi kit comprises the Marantz range of professional studio equipment from the '70s.

As a pianist and an organist (amateur, not professional, you understand) I have a great affinity for classical piano and organ music. And I mean proper church/cathedral organs.

Comparatively recently I invested in an active sub-woofer, and upgraded my pick-up cartridge to an Ortofon Jubilee moving coil.

WOW!!! The difference was unbelievable - almost more real than "being there"!

But, has anyone realised or worked out why we tend to prefer this sound?

I'll tell you.

We humans are analogue beings, not digital ones. Our ears are analogue dynamic devices, as are our eyes. Just think of how an echo works, or how the 'persistance of vision' works.

Therefore we feel much more at home with analogue/dynamic surroundings and they naturally seem more real to us - even musical instruments are analogue in nature.

I once had quite a long conversation with both a doctor and a music teacher on this very subject, so it all makes sense - to me at least. I hope you all agree.

Best ,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M31 all began when Mike (oohh look at those boxes) Peckham was searching for M31 title for one of his collections-you need to look for an earlier thread [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC