8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » stereo amps and record players

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stereo amps and record players
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2006 06:11 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys-

My stereo amplifier that I've had since 1985 finally gave up on me recently [Frown] . I used it for everything, from record players, to super 8, to DVD.

So, I recently bought new one. It's pretty basic, with the typical hook ups of today (tape, video-1, video-2, etc.).

Of course, it doesn't have an option for "phono", but I figured I could just hook it to another line out. The problem I'm having is, no matter what line I hook it to, the volume is VERY low for the record player, even at the maximum setting. Everything else has perfect sound.

Do I actually need a special amp designed just for record players? I thought they could be hooked to any auxilary line, like everything else.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated! [Smile]

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 29, 2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you will need a preamp for a manetic pickup. Most pickups (and I take it yours is a magnetic pickup) will give an output of about 5mV but most other sources will give an output of 100mV upwards.

This is why your old amp had an input marked "Phone" this had an extra stage of amplification.

It is possible to by small Magnetic Pickup preamps which you put between your record deck and a spare input on your amp.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2006 01:31 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Kev is right, you will need a pre amp. i had the same problem and bought one from ebay. You will need something similar to this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stereo-Phono-Pre-Amp-Kit-Record-From-Turntable_W0QQitemZ280051157364QQihZ018QQcategoryZ48460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2006 07:31 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

In all these years, I've never heard of this before. I'll check around locally first at the electronics shops.

Nick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Shack will do them. You just need a stereo microphone pre-amp. I use one of these (£15 to £20) with my 35mm projector and also had to put one on my father's amplifier to hook up a record deck.

Don't attempt to play records through the other inputs otherwise you could find yourself replacing the fuse in the amp. I managed to do this when I was 16 years old. I learned the hard way.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its not just a pre amp required,but a phono stage with the correct equalisation,as well as the extra gain.a mike pre amp will not have this equalisation.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2006 08:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does mine appear to work okay David? Is there something I'm missing?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2006 01:50 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the equalisation is to the riaa standard and this is the usual for phono stages,either moving magnet or moving coil. ive no idea why your mike amp works john,but without this equalisation,it wont sound quite as it should,but who am i to say it doesnt sound perfectly ok!

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, without RIAA equalisation, you should get an emphasized high frequency range and a weak bass reproduction. This ist the way vinyl recordings were done (pre-emphasis). Linear frequency response is achieved by using the phono pre-amp with equalisation stage (de-emphasis).

If it sounds ok for you with the mic amp, there's nothing you could miss. We are used to CD sound with excellent high frequency response. I can imagine that today vinyl records may sound "better" to us with a boosted high frequency range (without equalisation).

Joerg

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 03:09 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time I'll have a serious listen. I have a phone pre-amp somewhere and if I ever find that again I'll give that a try too.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC