8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cheat HD DVD Players

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheat HD DVD Players
David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2007 03:59 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading in the Daily Express, Saturday, about HD DVD players and the CHEAT HD ones.
As anyone used one of these into a video projector useing digital from the players HDMi socket into the projectors DVi socket?
Does it give improvement in picture over useing 3 anologue component phono's?

--------------------
Regards,
David

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2007 02:52 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it does give an improvement but beware... the cheapo ones are dubious. Cambridge Audio have one that works and when Wilton of Ealing purchased his some months ago it cost about £300 (ish) so not classed as a 'cheapo' model. Came recommended by What Video as I recall.

You're probably better off sticking with what you've got for a while until the next generation is settled.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 16, 2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David.
John’s advice is solid. I would not rush out to buy a HDMI player as these were rushed to the market place to bridge the gap between DVD as we know it, and HD~DVD/Blue Ray. Those of us who produce video programmes and related services are not biting so quickly having been through the mill with regard to DVD media creation some years ago. Here at Chroma we must have spent thousands on software that was said to work well and didn’t. All I would say is that it’s worth having a DVD player or recorder that has the three component output sockets as it does give a real improvement over Scart or composite outputs. I see Sony now market a DVD recorder which takes dual layer media which is well worth having a look at. Dual layer does benefit in that a high quality setting can be used as more data can be stored on media. Use this and component and you have made real improvements in image quality and all for around £150.00.

We have equipped with High Def Cameras, software etc but it will be some time before we start burning HD media here…..

In December we were at the BBC and plans for main stream HD broadcasting on the primary television channels is still only being spoken about so no real rush here it seems. I think the main drive for HD came at Christmas with heavy marketing on TV to go buy a HD TV, and our visits to local shops backed this up as one outlet was literally stacked to the ceiling with HD LCD TVS.

One thing is clear. At least with film it has always been a set format whether 8mm, 9.5 or 35mm. You can get the film stock and they will if cared for last and see us in a pine box. With electronic media formats come and go. My dad filmed his first wedding video in 1966 on low density open reel tape so he has seen plenty of video format change. All in all it boils down to if the public feel they may bite on the heavy marketing employed by the manufacturers. Unfortunately many fall for it….. Who remembers Super VHS?

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2007 06:46 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember/owned VHS, BETA, Sony 8mm video, Sony D-8 video, S-VHS and LaserDisc, as well as Super 8 film and I remember them all too well...a huge money pit over the decades....

David

We recently acquired a newer Dishnetwork Vip211 receiver and a Sony PS3 and we have them connected to our NEC XG1352 projection TV via an HDMI cable with a HDMI/DVI-D adaptor on one end.

Up until that time our older Dish 6000 HD satellite receiver was connected to our NEC via VGA (RGBHV.)

During recent tests eyebaling the old and new receivers back to back on the same programming my son a I discovered for ourselves that HDMI does provide a cleaner picture with regard to noise associated from object dot crawl as well as diagonal/vertical line stair stepping.

So all things being equal, from a cable point of view, yes HDMI does provide you with a cleaner signal path.

I can also state that our Sony PS3 used as a Blu-Ray player is also an improvement compared to upconverted (players that upconvert from 720x480P to 1920x1080I) standard definition DVDs.

Don't fear the new technologies... and hears to someday stating anyone remember HD-DVD and Blu-ray.... [Big Grin]

Regards, John

P.S. I still shoot Super 8 film. [Cool]

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 02:13 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well went out Monday to Richer Sounds and got the Pioneer DV 696 with HDMi output and got a HDMi/DVi lead off Ebay (they are a rip off in shops.) Connected up etc. and I'm really pleased with the results through my Panasonic PT-AE500.
Thanks to all of you for your advise.
The gremlins struck yesturday evening my multi channel AV amplifier died. So I looked through the files for paperwork to see when bought and if still under warranty, yes, but just. So off back to Richer Sounds with it they gave me no hassle they were extremely good. Told me it might take a while but they would lend me one of the same spec. 6.1.
So this afternoon been busy connecting the 6 speakers , plus sub woofer, 2 DVD players, video projector, and TV monitor in the projection box. Setting balances and delays etc.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a HDMI cable to my projector AE700 and the picture quality is at least 20% better than using component. It also gives a brighter picture. I am no expert, but i assume it must be the fact that with no conversion going on a total digital signal gives the best results.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2007 05:05 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That and it's fabricating some extra lines.

Mr. Wilton's kit gives a vastly improved image over the standard DVD setup but it does cost a bit more to obtain this. Just like high end HiFi it's an example of ever diminishing returns. By this I mean it is possible to spend a few hundred pounds on a HiFi and obtain perfectly satisfactory results. Spend a bit more and it's a little better. But then to get the best out of your system you end up spending a fortune for something that sometimes only gives small improvements.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2007 06:06 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Pioneer cost me £108 with 3 year warranty this week.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 26, 2007 09:03 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re DVD vs HD~DVD
We did a test on John Wayne The Searchers playing DVD version, and then the HD~DVD version into the Video Projector. Outcome??
The quality lift was small and certainly not enough to make us go and splash out thousands on new kit here.
We have HD TV and my video business also films in Pro HD, but I would still wait a little to see whats going on with the marketing. Most I feel will be waiting for HD recorders and the price to settle down.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC