8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Tron

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tron
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2007 03:49 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased a copy of Tron on DVD. It has been out for a while but it is one that I had put on the back burner for a later purchase.

I've only seen this move once and that was at a film showing when I was in college. It was presented on 16mm film.

I think back at how special all of these various film showings were back then. It was a memorable experience that I'll never forget. Nowadays when a university has a film showing it is with video tape or video disc presentation. It's just not the same.

Don't get me wrong, I do love DVDs as they offer us a wide assortment of features at low price with wonderful sound and picture when compared to the VHS and Beta tapes. I've owned a laser disc player for several years because of the sub standard quaility of video tape.

There is, however, a certain romance to film that can never be replaced.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2007 04:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will never forget the 16mm screening of 'Zulu' we had at my school. Can't remember anything from any lessons over all those years but 'Zulu' sticks in the memory.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have many vivid memories of 16mm screenings of features in school. Over the years they showed The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Charles Laughton as well as the 1933 King Kong. I was completely riveted to the screen.

Lars

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2007 06:37 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy, I ran Tron in 70mm just after I started as an assistant projectionist, I have not seen it since but would like to.

In primary school I recall our parish priest running Abbot and Costello films for us. In high school we had 16mm films almost every week for science, social studies even sport topics and of course features and cartoons.

I enjoyed The Horse In The Grey Flannel Suit, a 1970's Disney film and later saw Gallipoli one of Mel Gibson's first films.

David

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 31, 2007 08:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Got Tron on 16mm LPP.....great [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Bruce Rawlings
Junior

- posted March 31, 2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Bruce Rawlings   Email Bruce Rawlings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seing Scott of the Antartic in the school gym shown on a B&H 601. I also remember as an army cadet seing Burma Victory on a projector that needed oil to drip onto the mechanism! Debrie? And the Co-op used to come to the village hall and show Keystone Kops etc and films on how their jam was made also projected with B&H 601s I think.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2007 03:14 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate to see a 70mm print of "Tron" when it came out. What an awesome experience. Sad to see the direction movie houses are going. I'd rather see a nice 16mm film print than watch a video projection of the same film.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 01, 2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post brought up great memories for me as well. I saw "Bridge on the River Kwai" over a period of days, of course and was riveted as well. We also saw the 1950's version of "Julius Ceasar" (et tu Brute) and so, I was in any number of ways, surrounded by film.

In fact, In high school, my favorite class to be in was "media class", which really wasn't a class, but they let us pick one class as an "elective". This classroom had any number of media related things, but the best part was that the local movie theater dumped box after box of movie trailers on us and I would have a hell of a great time spooling it or putting it on the fews reels. It was there where I learned to properly cement 16mm film together.

I also remember, (and GOD!! I wish I still had that!!!) a 35mm movie ad for popcorn ect, and it was mod psycedellic and was so totally COOL!!!!

MEMORIES!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy,

I have reel of "Tron" trailers/promos on 8mm on my list at the moment if you're interested, go to The BFCC Web Site and follow the link to the Independent 8 pages, then look for film No. 6532.

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2007 06:23 AM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the English Teachers at school taking us to see a film version of 'Macbeth' at the Local Arts Centre.
We loved it!
It was, of course, the Playboy Productions version of 'Macbeth' directed by Roman Polanski.
The sleep walking scene was in the nude (with a very nubile Fransesca Annis as Lady M) as were the three witches (not so good)and the fight scenes were gory.
Just the thing to show to an audience of teenagers.
It brought Shakespeare 'alive' for us. :-)
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 15, 2007 06:53 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, I remember seeing Polanski's Macbeth back in high school as well, it was 16mm. I never saw video used in a classroom until well into college years. It must have been a censored edition because showing a nudie film on school grounds to a bunch of minors certainly would have earned my English teacher a one way ticket out the door back then. (...although she would have been briefly very popular with the boys!)

I remember too we discussed it was kind of disturbing that Roman Polanski would have made such a brutal film only a few years after his own wife was butchered by the Manson Family.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC