8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Calling Australian Members

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling Australian Members
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I've just accepted a job which will involve spending up three to four weeks in Sydney, the same back in the UK then repeat until I've had enough.

I was wondering if any of the forum members knew the city and could give me impartial advice on housing / areas, etc?

Not to mention any good cinemas / cine shops / flea markets, etc for expanding my collection!

thanks
Stewart

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2007 08:18 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart,

A warm welcome to Australia......when you arrive.

I am Melbourne born and located, but have spent a great deal of time in Sydney as I used to work there in my former national position with a major cinema company.

Property? Sydney is expensive for Australia, Eastern Suburbs very high prices, North Shore high prices, southern beaches still high, way out west getting affordable, but we are talking 60 kilometers from the CBD.

Australian cities are spread out compared to those in Europe, as a guide Melbourne is over twice the area of London with Sydney not far behind. Think Los Angeles sprawl with San Francisco bay in the middle and you are close to the look and feel of Sydney. (Melbourne is LA sprawl with Boston in the centre!)

Melbourne is the heart of film collecting, our next swap meet is in 9 days and there will be 8, 16 and 35mm for sale at the CATHS (search this in google and you'll see what it's all about) swap meet.

Melbourne is also home to Reel Deals magazine, a little classified type mag like a little Big Reel for all film related collectables. I am in touch with may Super 8 collectors here; strange that I seem to be the only one regularly on this forum!?

I do not know the Super 8 scene in Sydney but there is a photographic collectables fair there once per year with some Super 8 gear last I heard.

Good luck on your new job and I hope you like the inside of aircraft!

David

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2007 08:28 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

looks like there's no special store/company in Sydney:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Category:FAQ#Australia

Jörg

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 20, 2007 03:52 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David and also Stewart,

There are couple peoole who I knew involve with 8mm in Sydney.

I knew someone by the name Ralph McDonald (lives in Bondi area), he used to hold cine (& collectable)fair in Sydney.

Also there is one company still offering hundreds of brand new 8mm films located at Elizabeth Street, Surry Hils, Syndey City. I hav visited this shop although the doors was still placing the ads, but the door always closed. However, their answering machine still mentioned the company's name.

One big photographic store is Vanbar(available both in Sydney and Melbourne), please google for this and you will find the address. They used to have K40 and probably E64T now.

A couple of fairs are available. I knew there is someone by the name Rodney Bourke (who used to live in Melbourne then move to Albury NSW). He also has a lot of info on 8mm. He has an ebay ID: rodneyawa. Contact him from there. (I have his email but feel uncomfortable to give you without his permission).

cheers and hapy hunting

--------------------
Winbert

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys,

I'll let you know how I get on when I get there (about six weeks or so).

Stewart

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2007 04:13 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spent 2 weeks in oz myself. Sydney is an amazing place. Have a great time it is
an incredible experience.
(I am jealous now!)

Stuart F

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure wish I could get a working Elmo sp series HD dual 8 projector, they all seem to be in germany and austrailia! pick me up one if you find one! [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC