8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » From 8 mm to DVD (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: From 8 mm to DVD
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 16, 2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Eek!]
Jesus H Christ, I think i'll send mine off the Mr Wilton to do,
Seems much much easier [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2007 09:23 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
I'm with you [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in having cine film transferred to DVD or video have a look at www.gmsd.co.uk
or ring 07946 647455

I should have said that their is 10% discount to all forum members.

[ August 17, 2007, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Dave Alligan ]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2007 08:55 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I have heard that GOKO made
8mm and Super 8mm transfer boxes,
that contains a prism which
adjusts the frame rate for video transfer.

How are these units?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Integrated Imaging in Casper, Wyoming here in the U.S. does excellent transfer work. I've had several reels of my super 8 transferred to digital 8 tapes by them. I then transfer them via firewire to my PC studio program where I edit, add transitions, titles, & menus; and burn to DVDs.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 30, 2007 11:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The prism introduces weird motion artifacts. I don't like them.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
When creating digitized footage using the
Panasonic DVX-100,will the transfer from analog
film to digital media retain the film like quality
in 24P ?

The second question is it possible for the transfered
video digital signal created in either Home Movies,
Laser Disc or DVD become imported into the
Panasonic DVX-100 using the 24P mode, become transferred
back to any format of film at a digital to film transfer house?

So that 8mm can be upgraded to 70mm, 35mm, 16mm?

Or would it at least look excellent without loosing
quality in 16mm?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 10, 2007 12:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 yes

#2 no, you wouldn't want to blow up DV.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 03:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out there you will find many gadgets to effect transfer of cine down to the electronic medium. My first experience was in the 70’s when my Dad and I got into video using the Philips 1500 VCR, and if memory serves me right this was about 1974. Before long we worked our way through the various formats and wound up with a piano key VHS machine from JVC (the first one) and a few months later a colour camera.
Similar to this one:
 -

Within a year or so Sony had made available a telecine transfer unit and we landed a good few jobs transferring various 16mm private film collections onto VHS for societies who used film to show at members meetings.
Here is the unit from Sony
 -
The Sony box gave acceptable results and many of these are still in use today I know. Thankfully the early colour cameras using Newvicon tubes were replaced by CCD imaging devices and today we can get quite good results from a decent 3 chip digital camcorder and well monitored equipment during transfer. Of course there is no such thing as a totally digital camcorder as the CCD itself is a analogue device.

In later years I set up a media business and part of that is offering telecine transfers of all sub standard (as they are known) film gauges. At the top end of the scale you have a number of machines available to give top results, but it rather depends on how good the master film is and how much money you want to throw at the job.

Here we use the semi pro Ariel Optical system which I have developed over a number of years and swapped things around trying to get a better transfer. Some of the jobs undertaken in the past have wound up in UK TV programmes and the majority are for home movie makers or collectors who want to retain film collections on DVD for which they own copyright.

The Ariel Optical system relies on a low intensity lamp in a modified projector, and the rest is a matter of having plenty of know how and a professional camera with removable lens mount. The results are good enough for most, and for those wanting to go the extra mile I usually pass onto the BBC telecine unit which is very expensive but superbly executed.

Hope this little insight into how I got into cine transfers is of help, but at the end of the day any transfer is a drop in quality and I myself only archived my own films onto DVcam tape in case the films got damaged in future years.

Happy days.

PS: If are filming off the wall try and use a light grey matt card as it will help take some of the heat (hot spot) out of the projected image.

[ September 10, 2007, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely it should be the other way round....
Transferring DVD to super 8 [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not transfer Super 8 up to 70mm, down to STD 8 and then flying spot it to Low density open reel 405 line video and finally upscale in Final Cut HD.
That would be something.

Who remembers open reel low density video I wonder or VHD?

[Razz]
 -

Thank goodness Super 8 is still going...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Freddy Van de Putte
Junior

- posted September 17, 2007 04:14 AM      Profile for Freddy Van de Putte   Author's Homepage   Email Freddy Van de Putte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

I have wonderful results with a machine vision camera:
www.super-8.be

1966 Kodachrome Regular-8 frame:
 -

Fred.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC