8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Using a Frequency Equalizer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using a Frequency Equalizer
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 25, 2007 01:01 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across another interesting article from Super8 Filmaker 1977 [Roll Eyes]
 -
 -
Well I dont know how many of you use one I have been using a graphic equalizer I guess its the same thing, it was a bit of a trial which has worked out well, so it was interesting to read this article and will print out some of what is said regarding it so here goes.

Frequency response is the ability of your projector to faithfully reproduce sounds within the audio range. Most of the projectors in the medium price range do have good sound capability. They can record and playback sounds in a frequency range of 100 to 6000 cycles per second {at the low end of this range are bass sounds and at the high end treble sounds}. However, within this range the sound playback level or volume will vary for different frequencies of sound {see the dotted line, Figure 1 }. This means that bass and treble sounds are not reproduced at equal volumes, so some sounds overpower others. "O" decibels {db} on the left-hand side of the graph is the normal operating level for sound playback.

A frequency equalizer can make up somewhat for what your sound projector lacks. The solid line {figure 1} represents the same recording when processed through a frequency equalizer. The equalizer only works on low level signals and will not work directly between the speaker and your projector.

A frequency equalizer merely allows you to increase or decrease the volume in chosen areas of the audio range,

So there you have it, a handy tip from 1977 well worth adding into your sound system.

Graham [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 25, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that article Graham. One thing to note is that the frequency response graph they are showing is probably for a 16mm optical sound projector. Super 8 magnetic sound projectors are far superior to anything obtainable on 16mm optical. For instance the Eumig S938 Stereo has a frequency response from 40 to 11,000hz at 18fps, even better at 24 fps.

-

Even so, I also use a Yamaha 10 band stereo graphic equalizer to boost high frequencies and suppress low frequency rumble on some of my commercial film prints, particularly older mono material. I find that on stereo sound tracks that I have re-recorded from DVD on the 938, the graphic equalizer is really not required, because the re-recorded sound quality is so superb.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 26, 2007 12:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul & Graham,

Have you ever tried to use 3D-Spatalizer? The spatalizer has 4 speaker (2 front and 2 rear).

If you re-recorded your stereo sound from LD or DVD source that was decoded with Dolby Surround, then you will get 3D sound, where the rear will produce separate sound with the front speaker.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 27, 2007 04:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
I agree, a good recording on stripe is better than optical, films like the Derann print of "The Lion King" are good examples, I have also found the use of a graphic equalizer in general improves the sound and in particular the high range the sound seems much clearer, using an equalizer is almost a must when using an external amp.

Here are some more details as written from the original 1977 article you may find of interest.

The best way to properly equalize the output of your projector is to play back a recording of an audio oscillator {a radio/TV repair shop could help you with this}. On striped film, you record the oscillator's output slowly sweeping through a frequency range of 100 to 6000 cycles per second. For playback, hook up the equalizer as in Figure 2 and connect a "VU" or volt ohm meter {set to measure AC volts} across the speaker terminals. Run your sound projector with the oscillator sound track. You can adjust the equalizer to boost or attenuate selected bass or treble frequencies so you obtain a near perfect output level throughout the frequency range. If you don't have access to an oscillator or a VU meter, you can improvise and tune by ear for best sound.

I adjusted mine by ear, [Roll Eyes] I spent a lot of time setting it up but it was worth it in the end, certainly if you have a oscillator that would be the more accurate way.

Well its always interesting to read such articles, and I hope it might be of interest to anyone who is thinking of setting up a projector using an external sound system.

Winbert
I havent heard of the 3D-Spalalizer although I am not to keen having sound coming from the rear, I guess I am a bit old fashioned and prefer most of the sound to come from the screen, and side surround speakers.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 27, 2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another neat thing about using an equalizer is the ability to 'notch out' mains hum from the projector. The Eumig 800 series are noted for their hum, but by using an equalizer it can be largely supressed. Similarly, one of my GS1200'S has rather high hum on track 2, so I just notch down the level at 120Hz (first harmonic of 60hz mains frequency) on the second stereo channel and it kills the hum.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 27, 2007 11:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Using 3 D Spataliser create different experience in watching the movies. The 3 D Spataliser is somewhat made to bring the experience we got with 5.1 Digital from DVD. This is special for VHS tape that is only having 2 otput (L & R).

When you put the Dolby Surround tape on VHS thatn the spataliser will keep the stereo sound on L & R front speakers. However, some sound effects will come from the rear. (ps: only sound effect....the dialog will still come from the front speakers)

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 28, 2007 04:04 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert
Pleased to read that the rear speakers dont include any dialogue and only effects from the rear, it sounds an interesting device.

Graham.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 29, 2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally what has to happen to re-record a print is that part of the film must have pink noise recorded on it as a calibration test (all frequencies at the exact same volume playing at once...it sounds like static). Then the playback is checked on a Real Time Analyzer to see what frequencies got boosted and which frequencies are weak, then the EQ is adjusted prior to recording in the audio path, such that when the final print is played back the frequency response is perfectly flat.

Why go to all of this trouble? For recording stereo to later be decoded with Dolby Pro Logic (surround sound) circuitry, the circuit is looking for IDENTICAL sounds as the two tracks are compared against each other to steer them into the center channel. Sounds that are only in the left channel get routed into the left speaker. Sounds that are only in the right channel get routed into the right speaker. Sounds that are out of phase get routed into the surround speakers. That circuit normally works very well, BUT if the frequency response is not identical between the two tracks, the Dolby "steering" mistracks and sends dialogue into the surrounds and the audio isn't locked down into exactly where the audio mixers intended it to be.

Everyone here has noticed that track 1 always sounds better than track 2 due to the extra width, so by Super 8's magnetic track design, a pre-recording EQ, calibrated with pink noise and an RTA, is a definite necessity to TRULY get the best performance out of the format. Play back a print you think sounds great and turn off every speaker except for the surrounds. Do you still hear dialogue? If so, you are mistracking and the sound could be MUCH MUCH better.

Also note that dbx type II noise reduction can't be beat for this task. You will have a noise-free playback when using it with Super 8, although if you play the print back without dbx decoding, it will sound very compressed. What it does is compress everything by a 2 to 1 ratio upon recording and then un-compresses it upon playback, so the noise floor of the magnetic track is now twice as low, etc.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC