8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » To Brad Miller: A report of bugs in this forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Brad Miller: A report of bugs in this forum
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Brad,

I just want to let you know that apparently if we have loaded one picture with one file name (e.g. "picture 1") and post it here. Next time when we loaded another picture for different post, we CANNOT post with the same file name. Otherwise our previous post will have the new picture which of course is not related to the article.

I came across this condition when I reviewed my old post and found this article has a photo from my later post about vignetting.

After checking to the name of the file, it apparently has a same name with my new photo, so the older post has uploaded the new photo to change the previous one.

So can you fix this? probably your server can automatically adding a unique path name (e.g. date/time) everytime we upload a file. so there would not be any same path for the next time?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 01, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? If you upload the same image (or two different images) with the same file name twice, the upload script alters the filename, I believe with a 1 at the end.

For example if you upload pic.jpg and then upload another file named pic.jpg it would change the second filename to pic1.jpg.

I guess I'm not understanding what you are asking.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 12:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how to explain this (my vocabulary on Computer things is so poor).

But how can this old post (posted January 23, 2006 11:10 PM) has a same picture with my newer post ? as I never changed/edited anything! (ps: you can see that in the older post there is no any edit notice).

Now if we read the older post is somewhat funny where is telling about "Gengis Khan" 200 feet but the picture is about "Vignetting".

Can you find out please? or anyone here...

--------------------
Winbert

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 12:49 AM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I send PM's using the Opera browser, they are sent as empty messages without any content. It's no big deal though, I can just use another browser.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 04, 2007 04:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you uploaded two different pictures. Simple as that.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 05, 2007 12:39 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert, you uploaded two different pictures. Simple as that.
That is impossible, Brad

If you see the old post doesn't have any info about editing (after editing a post there should be a message such this [ October xx, 2007, xx:xx AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

On the other hand, it is also impossible that I uploaded that picture from the first time I posted it, having seen, Douglas was answering to my question correctly (about "Genghis Khan" a 200' Columbia release)

So..there is still a mystery here...

--------------------
Winbert

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 01:44 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

I'm not an expert in these matters but I think the answer is in the first paragraph of your initial post;

quote:
if we have loaded one picture with one file name (e.g. "picture 1") and post it here. Next time when we loaded another picture for different post, we CANNOT post with the same file name. Otherwise our previous post will have the new picture which of course is not related to the article.
I would guess that what you need to do is to ensure that each time you add a picture to the forum it has a new file name, any repetition of the file name of a previously uploaded picture it would seem, would over-ride that image and upate it with the later upload.

As I say, I'm not an expert but from your description it seems as though that might be what's happening...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 05, 2007 05:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Yes that was also my guess as I am not a computer expert as well.

quote:
any repetition of the file name of a previously uploaded picture it would seem, would over-ride that image and upate it with the later upload
However, after posting hundreds of topics we could forget what was the name we had used, so this bugs should be fixed.

I suggested that the server should automatically add to whatever the uploaded file name with a unique codes (e.g. date and time) so there would not be any same file name.

I think....

--------------------
Winbert

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 06:45 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or, just call your pictures something different each time. If you're saving them on your pc prior to uploading, this shouldn't be difficult.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 08, 2007 08:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a bug. When you originally uploaded the picture it was called picture.jpg

Then you uploaded picture.jpg again, so the website renamed it to picture1.jpg to avoid having to refuse to upload it.

Plus it is NOT the same picture anyway. Just look at them side by side. One is stretched out as if it is being projected through an anamorphic lens.

Just click the edit button on your posts and you can see for yourself. Again, this is NOT a bug. A bug would be if you uploaded a picture of your GS1200 called gs1200.jpg and it displayed a picture of your daughter Nancy called nancy.jpg within your post.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 09, 2007 12:40 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus it is NOT the same picture anyway.
Brad, that's correct that the 2 pictures are different, one is streeched out and the other is not.

The chronology of the posting was, I uploaded a picture with a file name "picture.jpg". That was the unstreeched one.

When I reviewed my post,it came to my mind since I was talking about a scope screen then it better to change the picture with the streeched out one. (so i does look like as if it is being projected through an anamorphic lens)

I streeched the picture by MS.Paint and save it, so only "picture.jpg" was saved in my computer. The unstreeched picture has of course been over-riden by the streeched one.

I then edited the message and changed the picture with the streeched out one with the file name. i.e "picture.jpg".

I was surprised when accidently found that my old message is now having the unstreeched one.

ps: I have check both posts and found that, yes, the name of the pictures were different noe. The old one is "picture.jpg" and the newer one is "picture1.jpg".)

Brad, can you tell me "why the old message does not have the edit notice" while the picture has been edited..... and I think this is a bug.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 09, 2007 02:44 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert. Brad is right! It is not a bug. I load thousands of pictures each year and this is a case of an enhanced pic and and the original unenhanced pic with the same jpg. One is labeled with "1" and the other without the "1". Each is the same subject, but has been stretched. [Eek!]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 09, 2007 03:59 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Dan, how can my unstreeched picture went to my old post and saved there???

While I didn't do any editing on the old post where it can be seen that the old post does not have edit info.

Can Brad or anyone else explain me this mistery??

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 09, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you didn't actually EDIT the post. You just looked at it.

You are going to have to trust me on this one, there is not a bug.

I am closing this thread because forum problems (or in this example suspicion of a forum problem) should be handled via email instead of cluttering up the forums and wasting bandwidth.

All times are Central  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC