8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What is your favorite Surround Sound Mix?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your favorite Surround Sound Mix?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 08:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to a magnificent surround mix can be just as enjoyable as the image on screen. What is your favorite mix?

I would have to say my favorite over all mix is James Cameron's "Abyss" surround mix. The sound of dripping water ALL AROUND you. It was also a mix that wasn't too loud and the subtle surround sections of the soundtrack really lets you listen to everything that "surrounds" you. Also, incredibly crisp.

In fact, most of James Cameron's soundtracks are very good, surround wise.

My favorite all time moment, however, is the very beginning of Steven Speilberg's "Always".

When the water aircraft lands on the water in the background, (with two fisherman sleeping in thier boat in the foreground), the plane quickly moves to the foreground and when it takes off right over the two men and out of frame, you really honestly believe that you hear the plane go behind you.
Truly, one of the smoothest transitions from front speakers to the back.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 01:42 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably old hat by todays standards, but the one I always thought was very good was the final horse race from "The Black Stallion" 1979 I think the film recieved an acadamy award for sound editing.

Graham.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2007 03:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of fantastic sounding films but for a bit of a surprise give the 1975 'Rollerball' a listen. Must have been one of the first Dolby Stereo soundtrack films judging by when it was made when the format was known as 'Dolby System' presumably so people wouldn't get confused between two track and four track stereo. Hence why the format is known as 'ProLogic' for the home market.

Of course Rollerball is available on Super 8 (Derann and Marketing - both vastly diffent cuts) and worth recording into stereo.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 10:11 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the great ones is the director's cut of "Das Boot", with a choice for the remixed/remastered track of Dolby Digital or DTS.
Astounding, but often subtle, "wrap-around" sound effects when the boat test-dives, and the general use of ambience aboard the vessel sets the scene. Of course, then there are the monstrous explosions.

A case of a director caring so much, he wanted to make it just right the second time around (I recall them getting composer Claus Doldinger back into the studio to re-mix the original stems of the music track, along with re-doing the total mix.)

A really fine film, improved with better technology. A rarity indeed.

Best,
Claus Harding.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 10:46 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Rollerball was 4 track magnetic and 6 track mag on the 70mm blow-ups. Dolby System referred to the noise reduction techniques used on the mag tracks before the introduction of Dolby Stereo. The first Dolby stereo SVA (optical stereo) tracks
were the 35mm release prints of Star Wars - the 70mm was 6 tack mag and some prints of the Streisand version of A Star is Born.

Whilst the various digital sound cinema formats today are impressive; six track mag was just as impressive back when 70mm prints ruled the worlds largest screens.

My most impressive surround track? Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The coal cart race in the last spool was simply the best. I have only heard it in 70mm six track (many times as I ran the show for almost a year!) but I'm sure the DVD mix is good too. The other stand out was the fighter launching sequences in Battlestar Gallactica in Sensurround.

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 05, 2007 10:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where in the hell did you get Temple of Doom?!!

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 10:56 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it Osi in a brand new 4 disc Indiana Jones box set given to me by Paramount a few months ago. It is still sealed however as I don't get much time to watch DVD's. I am interested to watch the entire disc of bonus material however.

I was actually talking about standing in the back of the theatre and listening to it when I was running it in 70mm back in the mid 1980's.

David

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2007 02:41 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David. Star Wars was also advertised as "Dolby System" upon first release. Given what you've said I think I'll have to investigate this information when I have the time. Perhaps it was "Dolby System" simply because only West End theatres had 4 track Dolby Stereo decoders at the time.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 06, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh. i thought you were talking Super 8mm!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC