8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is VP lamp less bright after its life time passed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is VP lamp less bright after its life time passed?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 07, 2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I have an In-Focus X1 as my VP since 3 years ago. The VP has been in idle for quite sometimes until this afternoon I warmed it again.

Now, I felt that the lamp was less bright.

I couldn't check the lamp's life time over the machine since I bought it second hand and it might the previous owner has reset it before selling it to me.

So if the VP lamp's life time has been passed, it will be signed by the decrease of its brightness or it would just die or pop up?.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2007 01:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I don't believe by keeping a VP projector
idle for an extended period of time will
cause the lamp to to dim.

However, with normal use all
VP projectors loose light and will project
a darker image.

It is to my understanding that the lamp
will not pop and blow out as in conventional projectors.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 07, 2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert thats right they all dim a little each hour but not usually if just not used for a while.
I`m using one with 1600 lumens which I dim a little using the brightness and contrast so not too bright then send in a varying degree of contast pic wise via the dvd player which can be adjusted.Good dvd`s in look awesome. Usually much better x 2 or x3 even than on the TV at 6-8 feet wide.
Various films look very different brightness wise.
I`m not sure of the machine is it LCD or DLP, I believe that make is very good.
How do you find it compares to super 8 mm ???
Is there possibly a lamp lower power setting it may have switched into.
If you work your way through the menu you should find a dislay somewhere showing lamp hours used.Or lamp saving mode, if its always been in that you can switch it up for more light possibly.
Generally speaking up to about 1000 hours you should be OK, after that you will notice it dim more.
I got the higher lumens so it would last longer bright enough if you will and fill the 8 feet wdie picture I was after OK.
Good luck.
Best Mark.
PS I`ll just nip and look that model up.
PPs on lamp hours I see you qonder if its been reset best Mark.

Hi Winbert I thought I had heard of them and they were good. Found a review on projector central and I see it is a DLP machine and looks like it was one of the first really good ones.
1000 lumens 2000 contrast with really good video images.
On the lamp brightness front it reads there are two image settings, one for video/film which runs the lamp at half 500 lumens so its maybe on that one.
If it is or whatever if you put it on to the presentation setting it doubles the light output to the 1000 so should give you a bit more time if the lamp is dimming and the picture should still be pretty good on that one too just not quite as contrasty on blacks but very nice still.
It says on there the lamp is rated for 3000 hours which is good.
Anyway good luck and hopefully switching projection modes will give you an idea of if its improved on the presentation one.
Best wishes Mark,
PS sorry I can`t do links but if you put infocus x1 projector central.com into google etc you`ll get there for the review in 2002.

[ October 07, 2007, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 09, 2007 12:54 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you find it compares to super 8 mm ???

Mark, my 8mm projector (ST 1200) still shows much brighter though both are using 150 w lamps.

I have found the video/film setting but if I set the machine to that setting that the picture get darker.

If I increase the bright setting than a whiter picture will appear.

At the best setting I could get, then, the day time scene on DVD will look like the dawn/dusk scene.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 09, 2007 05:58 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, does sound like it needs a bulb.
These days you can pick up a little used machine with 90% left in the bulb for less than the price of a bulb.
You might be able to find a second hand bulb OK, ebay or maybe a small time fixer of video projectors may have one from a machine etc in his stock cheapish.
Sounds like a great machine but for the same as a bulb now you will get an amazing second hand one.
My 3 year old one beats 8 or 16mm hands down so if you can get something newer bobs your uncle should be even better.
Best Mark.
PS don`t panic I still prefer film!!!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC