8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Day The Earth Stood Still

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Day The Earth Stood Still
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 17, 2007 10:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just cant believe it, there are some films in my view that should never be re-made, [Roll Eyes] well Hollywood have gone and done another one, and this time its the classic 1951 film "The Day The Earth Stood Still" due out next year. I would rather see the original re-released on the big screen, well I hope they do a better job than the remake of "War Of The Worlds" what a boring fizzer that was, well tonight I will be watching the original [Smile] on DVD using the VP, although its been out for a while now, the two disc special edition has a 5:1 sound track, ideal for the fantastic score by Bernard Herrmann, a timeless classic film, thank goodness for home entertainment. [Wink]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 18, 2007 02:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham. Wait till you see The Invasion ! What a load of old tosh that was. It did buck up at one point then faded away again. Daniel Craig must be struggling for good scripts.. Thankfully we went on a £2.50 screening day and it was just about worth it although my wife did get the pleasure of beating me in the amusements.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 18, 2007 04:14 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God no, they can`t, one of my all time favourite films.
Surely there must be some hollywood way can stand up and say enough is enough. Its not just about Money etc.
I`m making a real effort not to watch the new Wickerman as supposed to be absolute pants, well it would be compared to the original.
A few more they really must keep their hands off, Zulu Laurence of Arabia, 1M BC,Jason and the Argonauts ( done on TV but I can cope with that) Excalibur. Any more?
Best Mark.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2007 09:06 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you remember when they remade "Ask A Policeman" with Cannon and Ball and called it "The Boys in Blue" What did Val Guest think he was doing. [Mad]

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2007 06:18 PM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember the title song
"We're the Boys in Blue - woo, woo, woo"
and it went downhill from there

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 02:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the war of the worlds was pretty good, Speilberg made it more to hte book with the tripods as well, the 50s version of course is a classic. [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 25, 2007 03:01 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is one re-make that will be worth looking out for in the future, and that will be Peter Jacksons "The Dam Busters" what is also interesting here is that Stephen Fry is writing it, and I think one of the producers is David Frost these gents are pretty good, should be interesting.

Graham. [Smile]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 07:11 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would also be interested in a Dam Busters remake particularly as Peter Jacksons King Kong is pretty good considering other remakes. I just hope he keeps the original title tune. Like other remakes it probably still wont beat the original.

Graham S

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 08:03 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they rename Guy Gibson's dog. [Eek!]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 25, 2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

When I screened the Walton print of "The Dam Busters" (having never seen the film) my jaw dropped the first time the dog's name is called out. It's a tough call for Jackson.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 12:26 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd forgotten about the dog. Shocking. Surely the only way round that one is to not have a dog in the film? Peter Jackson's a genius of modern cinema, and he'll do the right thing. If only the producers of Day the Earth Stood Still (remake) would do the right thing and not bother...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 27, 2007 09:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A neat still from the original film.
 -
[Smile]

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 06:01 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a beautiful 16mm print of this classic film. I bought my print on time. This film does NOT need to be remade and the 1951 version will always remain the BEST version regardless. A remake will just make the Robert Wise version shine brighter!!!

--TP

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree more Tom.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 10, 2007 09:11 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the remake of the wickerman, supposed to be dire??? really dire.
Best Mark.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if you are referring to the version with Nicolas Cage then don't waste your money. It is a terrible remake.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 07:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig reading the amazon uk dvd reviews was a good laugh, not really a cage fan at the best of times but this sounds like a real stinker.
Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC