8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm toy projector.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm toy projector.
Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2008 07:44 AM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looking for a really simple 35mm toy projector.

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2008 09:04 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, they come up here on ebay in Australia reasonably often. The most common brand was Lion, made in Japan. I have one and they are great fun. Made of tin with a maltese cross movement - no shutter however. They use just a 60 watt house hold globe.

There was a company in Australia called Maxcraft that actually made 35mm cartoons specially for these in the 1950's! They were a popular kids toy.

Good luck.

David

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2008 12:11 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds cool.

Are they sound or silent, or both.

James.

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2008 10:46 PM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes. the lion vitascope.
im curious, why did they make it without a shutter?
im just looking for one to view a couple of films.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2008 05:39 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They considered that the flicker and ghosting was OK for a toy. The complexities of a shutter would have made these simple tin toys over-engineered and damage prone, let alone the extra expense.

They were only silent, but did have a top feed spool and sometimes a driven take-up from the flywheel crank. My dads one was mounted on a conrte block to steady the picture.

Considering how simple they were, the projected image was not to bad. My dad also had access to Australian Fox Movietone newsreels (through a family friend), some silent excerpts (nitrate!!) and some animated cartoons as I mentioned above.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC