8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Something that just irritates me somehow...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something that just irritates me somehow...
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 21, 2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not so much irritate, but it does make me wonder... and now I just have to ask. Time and again I see posts on the forum that go "Hi Jim Bob, I just sent you an email/private message. Thanks, Robbie Jim."

I know that occasionally forum members have to contact each other via publicly readable posts because there's some problem with their emails getting to each other or someone's PM inbox is full or something, but other than that why bother to send an email or PM, then tell them that they got email or a PM?

It's just I'm seeing this on such a regular basis, it's becoming a bit of a thorn in my side. Just a tiny bit.

[Confused]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see Jan,

Your missing the big picture. It is a two sided joy!

You get to share in the joy of knowing that someone is writing someone else, awwww!

and ...

By them telling the person, (and not telling you) in a private e-mail something, they are saying to you, (the annoyed Jan),

N-yeah N-yeah! I'm telling him sumtin!

AND YOU CAN'T KNOW!!!

HAHAHA!!

And hey ... it might be a film YOU wanted forever, but you know what, you'll never know, because it's for that other other, person, not you Jan! Nyeah Nyeah Nyeah!!

I've often wondered about that as well, as , "whoopee doo, what does that have to do with the rest of us?!"

I think in the end, it's someone who doesn't regularly check thier mail, but they DO check the forum, and so, it alerts them to the possibility of mail.

(sob) I don't get any private little messages to share with the world. I have feelings too, (sob, choke)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's obvious to me that Jim-Bob and Robbie Jim are 3 or 4 rednecks who don't know how to use a dang' puter.

[Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 21, 2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's Billy Bob, ya pinko commie! Betcha don't lik Elvis eedder!

(where's me shotgun!! Dang! Dat woman betta not have hid my
moonshine damnabbit!)

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 22, 2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFLMAO... Osi and Chip, you two could be the next Abbott & Costello, I swear!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 22, 2008 10:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naw Jan, it just means Chip and I have had one too many trips to dat ole moonshining still ...

and if you had even a little bit of dat still, you leave a stool close by the still cuz, tarnation, dat moonshine, it does a nummer on ya!

Talk about coincidence!

I'm going to review a classic Bob Clampett cartoon entitled, "A Tale of Two Kitties" in a little while. I think I just won, (according to the ebay seller) a print of this from Red Fox films with, as he says very good color and I'll be curious if what I have hoped all along will be true.

Red Fox films at one point, switched to AGFA stock totally, (I have a print of Hoppity Goes to Town on AGFA from Red Fox, and it is still pristine to this day ... lovely), and if so, did they print a numb er of thier cartoons on that stock. Here's hoping on this print, because, "A Tale of Two Kitties" is a cartoon that on Super 8, is very hard to find with great color.

I mention this as the two Kitties in the cartoon are "Babbitt and Catstello"

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2008 07:10 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi... I'll give you a THRONE for your Agfa print of Hoppity Goes To Town [Eek!]

And I don't mean a porcelain one this time [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2008 07:58 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Bob and Robbie Jim?

Absolutely harmless.

But beware of Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick.......they could be (really) queer!

Taa boom tish

Comedian's note: Just joking around here folks. No more after this I hope. Now back to the film stuff............

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 08:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we must be careful ... like we have been up to now (snicker)

Humor is a hard game to sell sometimes. You can tell a hundred and one anti-men jokes, have the feminists laughing thier heads off, you tell one anti-feminist joke, and they want to rip off your family jewels and use em for stew right away!

Actually, Jan, I really lucked out with my Hoppity prints! (in the end). I bought three prints in a row that were incredibly faded, to faded but slightly passable ...

Then, Steve Osbourne had two prints of Hoppity. This was my first dealing with Steve, and he said, "heck, I really haven't had a chance to verify these two prints, how about two for 70.00 dollars? I said, sure what the hell, I paid 100.00 dollars for a faded print from Paul Foster (he said it was the best print he had seen of the title!?!), so two for 70.00 dollars wasn't too bad.

One of them turned out to be the AGFA film stock print from Red Fox, brilliant in color, and the other turned out to be the Derann L.P.P. print of Hoppity, once again, magnificent color.

Ever since then, Steve and I have been good customers/friends.
We also share a lot of the same views on things.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TWO PRINTS LIKE THAT!!???

How about you sell me one for $35? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 11:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Or me one for $50 [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meet Kevin's 50 and raise it to 75 [Razz]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the thought, but the two prints are different!

The AGFA Red Fox print is the full running time, (including the six minute intro, that isn't included in the Derann print. The Derann print, while not quite as sharp, (the Red Fox print is taken from an early generation "Mr. Bug Goes to Town"), has a slightly different color spectrum that is quite interesting in itself!

What is even more interesting, is the original trailer for the original release, "Mr. Bug Goes to Town", has an even different color scheme. It's interesting to note, that all three prints are on different film stocks!

One of these days, I'll get around to actually being able to do screenshots and show you the differences, frame by frame!

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 23, 2008 11:56 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you got my curiosity at maximum, Osi... what's this six-minute intro all about? Describe it please [Smile] (is it in the Niles print?)

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 24, 2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is in the Niles print. I mis-worded, it's n ot an intro, it's just the first actual six minutes of the film!

In the Derann print, after the credits, we see Hoppity arriving on a cart and hopping over to bugtown. In the original version, we are introduced to Bugtown and nearly all it's important residents. Ladybug is behind on paying her rent to C. Bagley Beetle, (we also meet his henchmen), we then go to the Honey Hive eatery where Honeybee and her old father live.
We also see C. Bagley Bettle trying his first scheme to get control of Bugtown.

But if you had this version of it, Jan, you already know all of that. The U.K. prints of this film had that whole six minutes cut out of it.

The Red Fox Print has the original leaders that state "Mr. Bug Goes to Town", and, interestingly enough, the title card "Hoppity Goes To Town" is spliced in, (from bad Eastman Stock) and then the rest of the film is the original technicolor print. What really surprised me about this AGFA Red Fox print was just how incredibly sharp it is, but then, it must have been taken from a first run of the orignal "Mr. Bug" version.

A beloved film of mine. In about one or two issues from now, I have submitted an article entitled, "In Search of Hoppity" in Steve Osbournes Reel Image magazine, and the British magazine, "Small Format", about the history of this print and it's assorted variations on Super 8, as well as what to look out for in searching for one.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 25, 2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed [Smile] had no idea you knew so much about this film... I dearly love it too but after getting two beet-red Niles prints of it I quickly gave up spending more money on a futile search for a print with good color... and definitely wouldn't have been happy if I'd found one only to find the first 6 minutes missing [Eek!]

But you're inspiring me to start trying again [Big Grin]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 25, 2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, if you should choose to "accept the mission", just remember these very imporant facts ...

If you buy a Derann print of this, make sure that it is the re-issue from the early 1980's by Derann. All thier earlier prints were taken from an earlier negative, in which reels two and three had a significant fade to them. They printed films of this on FUJI film stock (which is usually quite reliable), and these prints just were not all that good. When Derann re-issued this title, it was with new negative material that had great reels two and three.

Also, make sure that if you seek the AGFA Red Fox print, make sure of the film stock, as Red Fox did use inferior film stocks at the time as well, (using what was readily available), and so make absolutely sure that the film stock is AGFA. believe me, you will NOT be disappointed!

To exemplfy the differences in the older and newer film stocks, look up my review of Hoppity in the review section. On the review, as you go down, you will find screen captures from a faded FUJI copy, and then Lee Mannering (I believe that's his name) did screen captures of his L.P.P. Derann print. It's like night and day!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC