8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Bucket List

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Bucket List
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 06, 2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say the one thing we can be sure of in life is death.....well a couple of weeks ago we got a print of this film to fill in some gaps in the schedule we never ran it when it came out. I did not expect this old old movie to do much, well last night we had more people to "The Bucket List" than "Indiana Jones" [Eek!] and was surprised its really good starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman at their best, its funny, its sad, and its a subject that one day we will all have to face.

Its funny to think that over the years all the hype that goes with the so called block busters that its those movies that dont seem to last long, yet the small films like The Bucket List, Amazing Grace, Atonement, seem to go on forever, even "Spiderman" which I dropped last year like a hot potato after its short run to bring back "Wild Hogs" another film people really enjoyed did better, the thing about "Wild Hogs" it was a fun film, even "Mr Beans Holiday" for us did much better than "Spiderman" so much for big Hollywood productions eh! looking at some trailers of up and coming movies Wall-E is going to be a big hit its my type of movie [Smile] and the remake of "Journey To The Centre of the Earth" although I dont like remakes does not look to bad also "The Mummy" and "The Son Of Rambo" which is an English film looks funny, so there are some interesting movies coming soon, back to "The Bucket List" if you haven't seen it at the movies look out for it in DVD its excellent, I still have not yet seen Indiana yet my son saw it last week told me he didn't think much of it, the Alien spaceship was silly nothing like Raiders or The Last Crusade, well I better watch it for myself, well if I find it disapointing there is always "The Son Of Rambo" to look forward to [Big Grin]

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 11:16 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, we have it in this week as support for Sex And The City (surprisingly not bad at all even for guys). I may give it a look.

I enjoyed Indiana 4, in the same style as the original 3.

Get Smart is great fun too so look out for that when it starts in your part of the world.

David

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 07, 2008 01:18 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "The Bucket List" - as one out of three movies I caught in Buenos Aires, Argentina, during February this year it was easily the best. *chuckles* I remember having to explain the meaning of the title and its relation to the phrase "kicking the bucket" to my Argentinian girlfriend. [Smile] But yeah, that was a surprisingly entertaining and heartwarming movie. Even the scene that had them both laughing loudly over something (I forget what) only for Morgan Freeman to cross out an item from his list "Laugh out loud" was simply wonderful - and had the whole audience laughing with them. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 07, 2008 07:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-an awesome movie: even more so because it makes you think about what your own list might be.

-and maybe just getting on with it before you are terminally ill.

Some of mine:

1) Travel to England.
2) Own a convertible.
3) See my son grow up.
4) Travel to Alaska.
5) Write a book (-this one's in doubt; I'll have to read a thousand instead.)

PS Their laughing out loud was upon discovering that Edward Cole's fancy coffee was in fact made from some kind of animal s**t!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I think my list would "mirror" yours -

1)Get away from England - too wet and too cold!
2)Never to own a convertible - too wet and too cold!
3)See my daughter grow up
4)Keep away from Alaska - Too cold and too cold
5)Learn to read and write!
[Smile]
PS I think I've had some of that coffee from our local MacDonalds [Frown]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 07, 2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6) Learn to play the piano
7) Help someone who is in trouble improve their life.
8) Travel to Colorado and New Mexico
9) Be above the arctic circle and see the sun up for 24 Hours
10) Operate a steam locomotive

You won't be able to afford McDonald's coffee much longer.

-It's petroleum based.

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2008 05:50 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote - "You won't be able to afford McDonald's coffee much longer.

-It's petroleum based".

That's fine, you can always run the convertible on it, because you certainly can't drink it! [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 07, 2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-and speaking of coffee, here's what Ed Cole was brewing in that fancy silver coffee pot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

I've always had a real admiration for the first guy to take a look at a lobster and say "That looks like food", because even though it is really delicious it looks more like something you should call an exterminator about.

Whoever first got the idea to try making coffee this way was pushing that kind of daring to another level!

-so you can have your coffee regular, decaffeinated or now defecated as well!

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 03:39 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I've had similar thoughts of wonder and imagination. Who, first looked at a cow and thought "If we pull on those things, we will get something nice to drink (maybe even make coffee with it)?"
Also who made the first mistake with the bull? [Confused]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 08, 2008 06:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this very earthy ex-hippy as our English Lit. professor when I went to college.

One day he went off on a tangent and wanted to challenge our mundane little lives. One of the things he said was "Have you ever drunk milk warm from a cow's teat?"

A woman up front asked him "Have you ever studied microbiology?"

(Still beats drinking poop coffee!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC