8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ticked off with Ebay ... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ticked off with Ebay ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 07, 2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, this is no new topic, but I have had relatively good circumstances with ebay ...

... and then you run into that one customer ...

I was happy to sell my RICOH Trioscope 8P Super 8 projector, a nice little projector.

First, I had to deal with the rediculous ebay shipping calculator, which is always either way too high, or excessively low, no matter how I deal with that damned thing! I always let the people know if the shipping will be different.

In this case, the package came to ten pounds, and the actual shipping (with just two dollars for handling and my efforts at going out of my way to allow customers to select thier desired shipping) came to 18.47 cents, not too bad as the next shipping charge up was almost 40.00 dollars. I always try to keep the shipping as low as possible.

Now the buyer acts like thier being ripped off and I'm somehow engaging in illegal activity?! Gawd! The gaul!! I've been shafted in truly way to high shipping many a time and I would never do that to others.

I almost hope that the projector doesn't work, or got damaged in shippage, just to keep the over-emotional fem
even more over joyed.

Sometimes I REALLY think about leaving the whole ebay thing behind me. If it wasn't for the incredible deals I find
on thier I wouldn't bother, but I am seriously thinking about not SELLING anymore!

GRRRRR!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate figuring out the heavy items i use the bathroom scale then go to usps.com and enter in the details then add 1-2 dollars to be sure it is covered.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 08, 2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing I did for that projector. It came to ten pounds plus the box.

Now, a perfect example of rediculous shipping, (and I'm attempting to negotiate with the seller) is on a package of 2X400 and 2x200, which would easily ship for less than 4.00, and the seller wants 17.00 for UPS shipping!! Now that's excessive, so I'll (hopefully) sucessfully banter with the seller and bring it down. I mean, heck, a 4X400 feature will ship for less than 4.00 dollars media mail, this is even less weight than that.

Besides that, I HATE UPS mail as you have to be home, or they won't leave it, no matter what notes on the door you leave, and we are rarely home when they deliver. UPS has always been a nuisciance for me and thankfully, people rarely ship by it.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 08, 2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been caught several times on shipping to the USA so now its either my price or dont buy it, simple as that, they know the price before they bid or they make an enquiry,
Give the price and if they want anything off its bye bye.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 08, 2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good policy, (unless the shipping is outrageous. The auction I just won lowered my shipping from the 17.46 to 8.00, much nicer.)

The ingrate finally sent the money, the wrong way again, so I had to start another paypal account, just to get the money, NOW I'm waiting for another 3 to 5 days to claim said funds.

... as well as another very abusive (as well as profane) e-mail back to me. Even when I sent her original e-mail back to her, (completely word for word copied and pasted), she still refused to accept her being wrong. At this point I know that I'm dealing with a potentially highly imbalanced person and best leave it alone. I have my money, she'll have her projector, (I hope the bloody thing gets broken in the mail!! @*$#!!!), and I'll make a list (never had to before) of people who I will never do business with again!

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 08, 2008 09:49 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to say that I really like UPS but they delivered a Derann shipment of mine to another house once. "Little Shop of Horrors' Optical and "Rocky" I think it was. Derann reimbursed me the money but it took me a few years to see those titles again!!
However if something does get lost getting your money back from UPS and Fedex are much better than the Post office. I had to fight with the post office for over 6 weeks to get money for an item that was damaged by their courier. Not too fun.
And in the middle of the case..they lost the item for a few days. Nice!
Osi in the future you can put the bidders on a blocked bidder list. They then cannot bid on any items of yours unless you take them off the list. The first seller on my list was the notorious Frank "I'm gonna have you deported" Adams!
[Smile]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 04:23 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whos that then Alan, Frank S, if I remember right???
Not sure I know this chap, is it one to remember.
Best Mark.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 04:34 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, Osi, I would not have completed that transaction.
If she gets the projector and for some reason it doesn't work to her satisfaction, you'll get nothing but trouble from her.
A buyer like that is just not worth the hassle.

If you received abusive emails from her, then you would have good reason not to complete the transaction.

That'll be two cents please [Smile] [Smile]

-Mike

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the projector went out, so I can't magically bring it back. This person sounds like the kind that wanted it for one use, and then will claim that it doesn't work to try to get her money back.

Good thing I don't have a money back guarantee. I thought it might be a good idea for ebayers in the future, but after this incident, I'll leave it as it is.

Actually, her e-mails have went from abusive to downright funny. Have you ever seen a person who gets so out of touch with reality, that they actually become laughable, (this "frank" that was mentioned sounds like that kind of lot).

Now I'm supposed to shove assorted objects up my, well need I say so?

To be serious, for a moment, a REALLY hope that this woman is not bringing up children; I'd hate to see how they'd turn out!

... and I believe in karma, (to an extent), with a behavior like hers, either karma has come back to get her, or it will in the future.

You know, I have always tried to be as honest as humanly possible in my descriptions. If a film has fade, I'll say so.
I do know that the projector worked just fine when I mailed it.
But your right. No doubt, I will hear from the happy camper again.

My only mistake was mailing it off before I recieved payment. Heck, the fourteen dollars loss, (on shipping) is worth not having to deal with this person again.

Thanks for the advice about blocking bidders, I'll do that today!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, if you shipped it USPS with a Delivery Confirmation you can request that the the Post Office of destination return it to you. You have to find out which Post Office handles the zip code you sent it to and call them and request it not be delivered. Tell them to send it back to you. I have done this on a couple of transactions where the payments were no good.

About the Ebay calculator, I have had excellent results with it. Be sure to select the right package size ot it will really inflate shipping cost. Always select "envelope/package" for films and projectors and the shiping will come out right if you have the correct weigh. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 06:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Dan.

I didn't send it with that kind of thing in place, and she did in fact send the payment, the wrong way again.

I ask you fellow ebayers a question, (oh, and Dan too, haha!)

This person, (as well as a few others) when they have sent a payment, paypal immediately sends me a e-mail saying the person has sent a payment, but in order to claim it, I must open a paypal account.

The strange thing is that I already have a paypal account, and this e-mail gets sent to me on an alternate e-mail NOT the e-mail of my paypal account. I thought at first that it was just because she sent the payment before I even had a chance to send a proper invoice, but when she sent this second payment, (the right amount this time), it went once again to my alternate e-mail, so I'm baffled. Why would ebay use my alternate e-mail? I do get statements from ebay on my yahoo mail, but my paypal is on my hotmail. I have written ebay about this before, but got no conclusive response.

I did put this person on my "no access to this bidder section".

Thank goodness.

You know something, it's REALLY going to burn this person up when, as they stated, thier going to leave real nasty feedback, but they can't anymore. I never thought that idea was good, (and I still don't think so) but at least in this case, it's a good thing.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 08:31 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the Paypal email you're getting telling you to open an account to receive payment is a scam.

If have added this buyer to you blocked bidders list, she can still leave negative feedback for any transaction that are completed.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 10:02 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

As the buyer, she can leave you nasty negative feedback, but you as the sell cannot leave a negative in return. I still cant work out why ebay took these steps.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 11:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curses!! Foiled again!

--------------------

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure I understand this...did you state a specific shipping charge in your auction, or did you say it would be calculated after the auction ended?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 12, 2008 09:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the funny thing. On the auction I had a shipping quote, (12.00) but on the actual description of the auction, I clearly stated that the shipping calculation could potentially be off and that the shipping could potentially be slightly more, but not excessive . the shipping came to only two dollars more.

The seller was boardering on rediculous, complaining about the auction not having a photo, yet she bid it up, no one forced her, so i don't see what the complaining was all about.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

I just recieved word back from "kkgorand" (that's her ebay idenity, though i don't appreciate her, I respect her enough at least not to use her real name.) I am firmly convinced that she is truly a few slices short of a loaf.

She complains about thier not being a take up reel. It never came to me with a take-up reel, nor was one promised, (I wonder if it was sold with one. Probably.) She complains that I said that it was variable speed, and it's not. If the stupid dolt
had bothered to read the questions on the auction, (as a potential bidder asked about variable speed), they would have scene that I stated that there is a knob on the back of the projector that adjusts the speed up or down. It's not a switch, it does the adjusting (I'm sure that Doug Meltzer could back me up on that one.)

But heck, a cursory examination of the actual projector would reveal the knob on the back ... duh.

Oh well, with a 100 percent rating, her one bad feedback isn't going to hurt too much.

Actually, I think that if you write ebay, they can remove a bad feedback if you explain the situation.

End of discussion concerning kkgorand!

[ July 12, 2008, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 13, 2008 01:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I had 100% positive feedback rating until Ebay started their new method of calculation a couple months ago. Then, one questionable NEUTRAL (not even negative) feedback from last August came into play and dropped me to 93% - so depending on how many transactions you have, you may find that one negative will drop your rating a bit more than you think.

Ebay stinks, but, we're pretty much stuck with it.

-Mike

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 13, 2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I keep saying, we have and need "live" shows again

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 13, 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was informed that I can, (only upon her leaving negative feedback) can click on "positive" or even the next one down, and then leave a written statement along the lines of, "Beware of this buyer/seller; strongly caution against it." and put that up on her listing. If I at almost 250 can get lowered a little, whether my statement would lower her rating (she has a "93", I belive in sales/buys), that will at least warn future buyers/sellers concerning her.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a bummer -- one gripe breeds another.

"item was discribed in terms I did not understand" -- clearly the buyer's fault, not the seller!!!!

So sorry, Osi.

By the way, I'd buy "Sweet William" if it were a different time of year. Hope you find a good home for it.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 15, 2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been re-listed Bill, in case you are interested.

Hey, you must have looked at me feedback.

Isn't that wacked out, the only two negatives i got werw within two hours of each other on the same day. Isn't that wacked?!

The funny thing is the second one, (interestingly, another woman), wrote what you stated, "not understanding what I wrote". I clearly wrote that it was an optical sound feature.
Apparantly, because she doesn't understand what an optical sound super 8 film is, I must receive from her a negative feedback. Her stupidity, my penalty.

... and the thing that really tears it, is that i can't leave negative feedback. As the earlier post stated, I also had a 100 percent rating as well after 4 and a half years.

[ July 16, 2008, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TOTALLY whacked. I really wonder if she didn't see the other one and decided to gang up on you. Her ignorance isn't YOUR fault, for crying out loud.

Osi, is it still possible to petition Ebay for a mutual feedback withdrawal? You might get your lovely score back that way. And DO post a factual reply to both of these incompetent buyers.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2008 12:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can petition, but note, it has to be mutual (in the case that you mention), and the person who left the first feedback (kkgorand) I am persuing from another angle.

The woman who said she didn't understand, wanted her money back.

The only problem is that ALL these optical sound films that i am selling are being sold for a friend, (I never part with own precious opticals!), and so I really couldn't give her the money back, as the money went off to the happy person i sold the film for.

In the case of "kkgorand" i have saved ALL the abusive e-mails that the person has sent, profanities and all, (shoving assorted objects up the rectum ect.) and I will send them off to the appropriate party that can pontentially do something about it.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2008 07:46 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. I hope you get some satisfaction out of this, and you know we're all rooting for you here. Keep those updates coming!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 18, 2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE UPDATE!!

Upon my first letter to start the process to get justice, they asked that i send the offensive e-mails. I sent each and everyone.

They wrote back saying that though they'd like to help, they needed the full e-mails containing the "headers". I didn't do that the first time, (just sending what kkgorand wrote), and so I cut and pasted each and every letter and number, from top to bottom, everything that could be highlighted and cut and pasted.

They wrote back again today, saying that they still need the headers. I'm, baffled, as I can't possibly cut and paste anything else to them. I am going to see if they have some form of toll free number so that I can actually talk to them personally and find out what the heck is going on.

Getting justice is a real pain in the ass!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC