8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Elizabethan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Elizabethan
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 08:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a superb rail film last night- The Elizabethan made by British Transport Films. It's a wonderful black and white documentary film about the run of the magnificent Sir Nigel Gresley train, non-stop from London King Cross to Edinburgh Waverley station in six and a half hours. The commentary is superb, witty and frequently poetic, it totally captures the thrill and nostalgia of steam train travel in the UK. I was riveted to the screen through the whole half hour film.
I wonder if Mal has seen this one. Is it available on super 8?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2008 09:22 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Those are the actual images of my youth over here.. the Sir Nigel Gresley, the Mallard, the Flying Scotsman etc.
They were the actual engine names: the complete trains running particular routes and at specific times had iconic titles... the Coronation Scot, the Cornish Riviera etc. Not to mention the Orient Express which would actually start in London, cross the channel by ferry and travel down through Europe to Istanbul (Constantinople). In my corner of England, the South East, there was the other type, the 3-rail electric; specifically the Brighton Belle, which did London to Brighton in exactly one hour.

The BBC made a classic film of this from the cab....."London to Brighton in 4 minutes".... who's got a copy?

Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul.
Yes 'Elizabethan Express' was released on super 8mm as a 19 minute two-reeler.
I've shown this to a number of audiences, always getting a good response.
I also have it on a BTF dvd and I have to admit the dvd has better contrast than 8mm print. However, the film version is more than acceptable on an 8ft x 6ft screen.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 08, 2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Elizabethan Express" was issued in the UK by Walton in Super 8 sound as a 400' release.

--------------------
Maurice

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2008 06:13 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a superb Walton print of this film, in Standard 8, black & white, sound! [Big Grin]

When I say superb, I really mean it. The brilliance and contrast are as if the film was brand new, with crisp razor sharp projection. How it would compare with the Super 8 release, I don't know. Might be interesting to find out at some point! Yes, chaps, this is one of the better UK railroading films. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2008 10:11 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say Martin, I think there may be a typo error in your post. The last time I checked, Devon was in the South West, not the South East - unless you're either wishing you were in the South East, or else looking at the map with a mirror! [Confused]

Just saw it as a bit of a laugh - sorry - I couldn't resist. [Big Grin]

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, David, There's a very simple explanation for my disorientation.... I spent my formative years in West Sussex; I only came to live in Devon 35 years ago.
Depending on how old you are, you may also, like me, remember the "Horsham Flyer" (also known as the "Steyning Express") which plied it's way backwards and forwards from Brighton to Horsham, calling at Steyning, Henfield, Partridge Green and Christ's Hospital, pulled or pushed by a wonderful old Tank Engine. If you can't, it shows that I'm very much older than you; it was an important part of my life when I boarded at Steyning Grammar School.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 01:18 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I drive over the remains of the old Steyning line everyday on my way to work! There is a really nice 2 x DVD set looking at the Steyning line. One DVD is all 8mm footage of the line from prior to its closure, the other is a nostalgic trip along the line tracing it's path through the West Sussex Countryside and identifying surviving remnants.

You might already be aware of this DVD but if you're not and would like more details, let me know - my Father has a copy and I can make a note of it's name and distributor for you.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 02:43 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I know the line extremely well, as I now live less than a quarter mile from it near Southwater station - which now, sadly is a village shopping precinct! [Frown]

The route is now a walkway-cum-cycle track, known as The Downs Link, and is a favourite amongst mountain bikers. You also left out the station of West Grinstead, on the A272. The station house became a Little Chef for many years, but only last week was transformed into an exclusive restaurant. However, you can't mistake it for a station building, though.

Down on the roadbed adjacent to the platforms at West Grinstead (which are still there) there is an old Southern Railway coach, housing railroad memorabilia and walking guides etc. It is quite a nostalgic setting!

Such a small world. Please let me know if you require any more info about the line. If you're interested, it would be well worth picking up a copy of the book "Branch lines To Horsham", which also covers the rest of the route from Christs Hospital via Baynards, to Guildford. Baynards station is now privately owned and beautifully restored!

(If the truth be known, I'm probably older than you are)!

--------------------
Dave.

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 05:41 PM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Super 8mm copy of "Elizabethan Express" was released by DCR Films. Good clear print and crisp sound.
I also have a Super 8mm copy of "London to Brighton in 4 Minutes" released I believe by Derann, some years ago. This film used to appear on BBC television many years ago on a fairly regular basis. The first "package movie film" I ever purchased and which I still have, was a 50 foot standard 8mm reel produced by Walton Films, showing 25 feet of London traffic and the other 25 feet being an extract of the London to Brighton film. This was around 1961!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For UK television viewers here is a reminder to set your VCRs to record this delightful short.

BBC4 is showing "Elizabethan Express" on Thursday 23rd October.

--------------------
Maurice

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2008 05:34 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, whats a VCR [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 06:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig

My two latest recorders (only a few months old) both have VCR capability.

A Panasonic, also with DVD recording. A Toshiba, also with HDD and DVD.

Both also have editing facilities with their transfers.

Oh no. Tape is not yet dead.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 04:59 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
getting back to trains for a moment, I came across this chap; www.dumpman.co.uk recently. Can’t vouch for the quality of his DVDs because I haven’t bought or seen any, but if “Disused Railway Tunnels of Sussex” or “Midhurst to Chichester Trackbed Explored” is your thing, then it might be worth your having a look at his catalogue.

Some of the titles he is offering look quite intriguing…

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Mike, Looks very interesting.

Can you mail me Mike.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC