8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Men in Black... in reality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Men in Black... in reality
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 11:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

You can see where I live now, so I am sorry for a silly question.

Every time I see Hollywood or British movies (or even some European's) all FBI, CIA, MI6, Under cover Policeman, Detectives, Customs, IRS, etc, etc are always wearing nice black formal suits with a tie tied on.

Is this a reality in actual live (this question especially for members from the above countries) that those agents will wear that kind of stuff everyday?

Even in a serial "Monk", Capt. Leland Stotlemayer and Lt. Randy Disher are also wearing that suits every day.

In my country either they a e wearing a uniform or just casual dress.

Or that is only in films.... [Wink] ??? [Confused]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2008 03:04 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I could tell you the real answer but I'm afraid that I would have to kill you afterwards. Harsh, I know, but I don't have one of those memory-wiping gizmos like they do in M.I.B.

Seriously though... An ex-girlfriend of mine was once arrested here in the UK by undercover customs agents. They were mostly scruffily dressed, the lead guy had long dreadlocks and a beard.

Incidentally it was a case of mistaken identity and she was released with an apology within 2 hours.

Here in the UK most policemen who aren't in uniform when working dress in normal casual clothes. Presumably if they are doing undercover work they try to blend in as appropriate.

I suspect that real-life James Bonds probably look disconcertingly ordinary.

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2008 05:28 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An American told me that if, in the USA, you reported sightings of UFOs then you were interviewed in your home by men in black suites.
These people were undercover USAF Policemen.

In the UK undercover, or plain clothes police, just wear normal everyday casual clothers.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

you forgot to mention that all good guys have blond hairs and drive/ride white horses/cars, while all evil guys have dark hairs and drive/ride black horses/cars. [Wink]

Serious answer: Here in Germany "normal" policemen wear uniforms. "Under cover" policemen wear what they need to "fit" into their surroundings. And policemen that only work in an office might wear something casual or formal instead of an uniform (in most cases you won't find any suit except for the top ranks, but one can expect a tie around male policemen's necks).
Agents from the BND, BfV and MAD fall under "under cover" or "desk only" (except for the fact that only the MAD has got uniforms).

Jörg

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy across the street used to be an undercover cop for the NYPD. All of his observation cars came from used car lots and his clothing looked like it was ready for the donation bin.

I suspect the real James Bonds only wear tuxedos at weddings and if they drive an Aston Martin at all it's probably only after they retire.

Mr. Bond always introduces himself to the bad guy (usually fools around with his girlfriend too...), but in the real world the bad guy doesn't even know he's there.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 07, 2008 11:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So .. it is only in movie, isn't it?

I wonder why many directors, even though they took script from a true story or real event, they still dressed the agents up like that (MIB style).

If the directors want to approach the story as close as possible, they should actually look to the reality. Scruffily dressed, like Bart said.

What make me (now) laughing loudly is watching that those agents are wearing formal suits, day and...night!. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Even when there is an emergency call during their sleeping time, they can come to the crime site with a tie tied on. How quick!

For me now, my question is what'smore important (for a good agent), i.e. responding the emergency call by quickly go to the site or looking for a matching tie first? [Razz]

I live in a tropical land, so whether wearing a formal suit is not comfortable or is not a common thing.

But my self is actually working in the environment where a formal suits is usable (diplomatic community). But I personally choose not to wear that suit, not even a tie.

I read somewhere that tie is anyway choking you and hold the blood circulation to the brain. It is not healthy at all.

I don't wanna die young [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 09:17 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

there are already movies, TV series, ... that are a little bit more realistic, e.g. this one:
"The Professionals (TVseries)"
The head of the "CI5" nearly always wears suits, while the agents (that work on the street) wear "casual" dresses (or at least dresses that were supposed to be "casual" when the TV-series were shot)
or "xXx" or "Infernal affairs" (where at least the undercover cops wear leather jackets, ... instead of suits) or Donnie Brasco or ... . Nevertheless most of the "more realistic" stuff that comes to my mind has NOT been produced in Hollywood. Not sure whether this is true or not.

Jörg

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this discussion, one must never forget dear old Inspector Columbo, in his old car, and his tattered raincoat. I don't ever recall seeing him 'dressed up' in any episode I watched.
(Beautiful work by Peter Falk.)

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 10, 2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbo: the only cop in history who made "Just one more question." into a form of torture! Great show!

I love the "CSI" genre of TV crime shows. Not only is everybody dressed beautifully, but they are all young, single and definitely above a nine on a scale of ten looks wise. Not a receding hairline or a middle aged belly overhang in the lot of them.

They did a spoof of these shows on "2 1/2 Men" last season where the fashion model/detective is asking Charlie about the death of his step father, He sits there dumfounded and finally comes up with "I'm sorry, I didn't hear the question: Your neckline is distracting me!"

Why do I get the feeling that if I went into the local precinct, the officers and detectives would be more average appearance wise!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2008 05:18 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my car was stolen last year the CID officers were both wearing everyday lounge suits (Detective Sergeant and Constable).

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 15, 2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, end of the word...Movie is movie...

In my real life and having visited Australia, Europe, NZ, Asian countries, Middle east, etc can say that people who are wearing that formal suits mostly are bankers, lawyers, diplomats, but not the agents.....

...Movie is movie...

[Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that movies probably overstate it, but I've worked with many, many gov't agencies in the US, and many of the officers do indeed where suits. Nothing quite as uniforms as presented in Men In Black (which looked vaguely like the Blues Brothers), but still jackets, ties, etc. . .

Also, many police detectives in my area where a jacket and tie vice a uniform. This is distinct from undercover officers who are trying to blend in . . .

Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC