8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ealing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ealing
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 19, 2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else find it a bit underattended yesterday?

I enjoyed the day, as usual and my missus enjoyed the chocolates (Thank you, John).

Particularly interesting was the Lenticular Color presentation with that special filter turning B&W to colour.

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too found it a bit "under attended". Whether it was the "credit crunch fear factor" that had an effect, I wouldn't like to say. Still a good day though, with the opportunity to have a chat with all the familiar faces from the Forum (note chaps - I didn't say OLD) [Wink] .
Picked up a couple of bargains along the way, so it made the day worth-while, from a travelling perspective. A few regular faces that were missed, of course, was Barry Attwood and Ian Rielly from Perrys Movies.
Let's hope that the lack of "punters" will not "dim the lights" on this great event.
Looking forward to next May already.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trouble is we are all getting on and I suspect a number of attendees can't get out of their nursing homes as easily [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i thought figures were down on the day, but some good bargains were to be had which is always worth going for..Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt think that it was that much unattended, there still seemed to be a good crowd there. The cinema was packed.

I thought the 3D show was excellent as was the tribute to Charlton Heston.

But falling numbers is happing to all cine fairs, not just this one, as we all get a bit older and there are younger people attending but not enough to make it massive again. I'm afraid cine is dying but hopefully not too quickly. The BFCC will go on for quite a few years yet. [Smile]

Graham S

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 04:23 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a weird one! Numbers were down as has been mentioned and this was exacerbated by there being less dealers than usual, making the place look a bit emptier. On the other hand I thought the film shows were better attended than usual and the programme the strongest for a long time. The Charlton Heston presentation was superbly put together and the lenticular colour show was excellent with Grant Lobban displaying an infectious enthusiasm for his subject despite microphone problems rendering him acoustic only. Modesty forbids me commenting on the 3D show except to say it looked a helluva lot better on the big screen than I thought it would and once again, hats off to Keith for the editing.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 19, 2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that Graham used the word "Dying" as this is a word I used to John Clancy yesterday.

One theory I have is that no young blood is really coming into the hobby.

My Theory:
Back in the 70/80's when cine was in it's heyday the collectors at the conventions were of mature age. They were the guys and gals that used cine cameras to record events that we and our younger generation now put onto video and then use our computers to edit.
If you look at the conventions today the biggest attendance is by the elderly gents who are still able to make it along. Others cant because of ill health and others have died.

Sorry this sounds a bit morbid but I really think this is the case. All the faces I saw at this BFCC were the same ones I always see....no new ones! and it's been like this now for a very long time.

With no new blood coming into the hobby it will eventually die and that's a fact of life [Frown]

In cine's heyday I was one of the young members at the conventions and I'm now 54. Another 20 yrs from now and I may not be able to attend conventions or may not even be around to tell the tale.

What we need is new blood in this hobby but lets face it the younger generation unless they go to the cinema probably dont know what film is all about and most wouldn't know if they were watching a film or digital presentation [Frown]
My own son Adrian loved coming to the conventions with me and seeing a movie at home but these days he prefers to do movies on his PC [Frown]

There are no new releases on 8mm like there was when I first started collecting. I went to see Star Wars at the cinema and was then able to have a cut down of my very own on super8...pure magic [Smile] Those days have gone and I for one don't know how we can revive them and the interest in cine [Frown]

One other thing I have noticed more and more is that after the conventions you suddenly get a great number of films turn up on ebay for sale. The same has happened again today. The UK ebay has a sudden large number of super8 films for sale so I wonder how many people at the conventions are only there to buy film to sell on ebay to make a fast buck?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 19, 2008 06:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

The same thing has happend out here at conventions, once upon a time films and projectors went in a auction for other collectors to buy for there own personal use, now many are bought and re-sold at profit on the internet. Also like in England there is nothing in it to encourage the younger ones to get involved, [Roll Eyes] its a shame but the truth is that out here film collecting is also dying out.

Graham.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give up on this one, picture keeps changing.

Chris. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

[ October 20, 2008, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Christopher P Quinn ]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 04:21 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s difficult to disagree that the days of cine conventions such as the BFCC are probably limited, all the more reason for making the most of them whilst we still have them. The determined group of enthusiasts, headed by Keith, who keep the BFCC going in the face of adversity, deserve all our gratitude.

On a brighter note, I had a great time at the BFCC, most of it spent in the proximity of the table that Rob Koeling and I had. It was good to see familiar faces, and in fact there were a few newcomers too. One young woman bought some super 8 digests from me and in conversation with her I found that she projected 35mm for a living and was keen to be able to project at home – hence starting a collection of 8mm digests. There was also a young chap, fresh out of Art School where he had been introduced to the joys of super 8mm filmmaking. He was looking for a super 8 projector and was really pleased with the Elmo K110 that he eventually bought from Buckingham films.

It was good to see Mal, Mark Norton, David Locke, Keith Ashfiled, Bill Parsons, Kevin Faulkner, Tony Milman, Craig Hamilton, Chris(topher P) Quinn, Yanis, Mark Williams, Adrian Winchester, John Clancey, Keith Wilton, and all the others who’s names haven’t come to me.

One of the most entertaining elements of the day had to be Craigs projector clinic that evolved at one end of our table, there seemed to be a constant supply of tired projectors arriving from the Bring and Buy stall for Craig to dismantle with his sonic screwdriver with the aim of breathing new life into them, I’m not sure how many actually left the clinic running better than when they had arrived but one Bell & Howell Machine, with dodgy speed pots, gave Craig a belt up the arm pit when he attacked the live innards with his all metal multi tool!

How we laughed… [Big Grin]

The numbers were undeniably down and people like Barry and Ian were certainly missed, but films and equipment were certainly changing hands and the atmosphere was great. As usual, I’m already looking forward to the next one!

Mike [Cool]

Ps. Also looking forward to seeing Chris(topher P) Quins photos…

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 20, 2008 06:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, dissapointingly i was unable to attend again, many reasons, unfortunatly, like many, the job is at stake so i wouldnt have been able to part with cash which would have been frustrating to say the least.
I think Kevin has hit the nail on the head. I have three young children and they have all been bought up on cine, however, when they get there pocket money and buy themselves a DVD with all its extras for a few pounds they question my sanity of paying much more for a trailer. Todays children dont want the mechanical stuff anymore, for them its DVD, M pegs, I pods and of course, "Dad, when are you going to get a DVD projector so we can have a living room cinema"??? [Confused]
I still love my Super 8 and 16mm but as time goes by i am finding it difficult to justify what i pay and of course what is out there. The really good items are very expensive and the cheaper stuff is now either scratched or faded or both.

I myself will continue to buy nibbles and hopefully try my best to attend forthcoming BFCC's if they continue but my young children, dispite my best efforts are just not impressed by it all at all. (although my 10 year boy loves to help me do any minor repirs i do on the Elmo).

Sad but true, todays technology is excellent quality and the availibilaty of movies nad all there extra's are virtualy unlimited.
I do hope that Ealing was enjoyed by all who attended. [Wink]

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 08:49 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a fantastic time and would like to thank everyone for welcoming me back to the forum. John Clancy came over to see me and welcomed me back, thanks John very appreciated. I wish i could have found time to visit the film shows, but Mike was right the atmosphere in the hall and round the table was just amazing, so much fun and loads of laughs. Craig, getting an electric shock of one of the many projectors he took apart was sooooo funny, sorry Craig, but you were warned several times, lol, lol.

Below i made this up as we forgot to do a group photo of the Lightwater Six
 -

I managed to wrestle off Mike a beautiful Sankyo 700 that spent the last 30 years in it's box along with a Hi Pro Zoom 30mm 1.1 lens. Carry on up the Jungle from Kev, and various Disney shorts from around the tables.

The Derann Table...

-

Looking down from the Gallery...

-

Now Tony, what was this about...

-

Ah a sniffing competition..

-

-
More pictures and Video to come!

Chris. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 09:14 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fact that there were less stalls meant we all could think negatively about this; but this was a one off! Next time Perry's will be back, and so we'll probably find a return to normal at Ealing, with a few more stalls. There's no need to think it's the end, just maybe a slightly smaller event this time! I still found loads to buy, and was seriously impressed by the film shows! I took a picture of John Clancy's souped-up GS1200. On reviewing the pictures when I got home I noticed the address of manufacture on the power unit...it's literally 1 minute from my parents' house in the North East of England. Think I'll be popping round to the factory. Where did you get the power unit from John? All from Wittners?

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 10:05 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much Christopher for those great photos of the event, for guys like me in the U.S. who can't attend. And that "Lightwater Six" FX shot was great!

I completely understand what you guys are saying about the younger generation. My son is 19 years old. He grew up watching and loving my super 8 films (especially the Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts). He still loves for me to show the films. When he brings his girlfriend over, he'll sometimes ask for a show. But, I know he would never consider buying into the hobby, and for many understandable reasons.

While money is a big part of it, I think the biggest problem is the lack of new equipment and parts and repair facilities. Our viewing audiences will never know what it takes sometimes to put on a flawless show. It boggles the mind!! [Wink]

But still, at the end of the day, there's no satisfaction like that, and the magic of film is there, as long as we're willing to endure those hardships as well.

James.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just ask a question....pardon the ignorance but why the "Lightwater Six"? Is there a link with Lightwater in Surrey?

martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting topic. I couldn't make it to this Ealing though I was at May and should be able to be at the next. I'm 45 so perhaps slightly younger than some but I've had a renewed interest in cine the last couple of years. I'm keen to get now all the equipment and films I couldn't afford from my pocket money in the 70s! Okay, perhaps it is more nostalgia now than the only way to watch movies but so be it. If the Ealing convention were to thin out to such an extent as to threaten it continuing, I'm sure new life could be infused by combining with something sympathetic, like vintage stills cameras or vintage and retro hi-fi. I know there are events based on valve radio and so on. These would be compatible. Radio... well that goes back as far as cine and there are still new enthusiasts coming in so who knows...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,
Originally 3 i think then i was invited we then had a meet up at Tony's place in Lightwater, Surrey. We then later became 5 with the addition of Rob and then 6 with Craig, being the newest member. Thus The Lightwater six. I can't remember who came up with it, possible Tony himself but it sort of stuck. A sort gentleman's club. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Also known as the Mafia Six in some quarters. [Wink]

All good clean fun. That's what cine should be about, enjoying it, this sort of thing doesn't happen with video so much.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin has made a good point, but what I see of the LIGHTWATER GROUP SIX photo 8mm and 16mm has a long life ahead with a young group like that. Alex

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Christopher, only asked the question because I lived in Lightwater myself (during the Second World War; don't say it too loud or it'll give my age away!). My parents had the Post Office and general store there (No. 55 Guilford Road; what a memory!) and I went to the primary school there.

Martin

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 02:22 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, where to start....

Firstly, Kev, are you really as young as that? I had you pushing a frame round with wheels [Big Grin] But don't despair since one of us will be able to push you around in 20 yrs time and to think that you will smell of wee as well!! You should fit in a treat...

Chris, many thanks for morphing me in photoshop - I seem to have put on a few pounds that craig seems to have lost. If only I had been able to stay long enough to see Craig shocked.

I had a great time until I had to leave early. It was nice after 18 months to get back to Ealing and meet up with the Lightwater 6. It was named after the Guildford 4 I think but grew into the Lightwater 6. We reallly should attempt another meeting.

I would like to extend thanks to all who are responisble for keeping the BFCC alive. I am sure it will continue even if it ends up with 3 blokes in Ian O'Reilly's airconditioned secure storage unit
[Eek!]

Martin, you will be pleased to know that there is still a post office in Lightwater-perhaps even the same one. If you send me your email address I will take some snaps and send them to you

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 20, 2008 09:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris -great photo's
Craig- maybe you should stick with 12 volt Pathe Baby's ! [Big Grin]

One future option for the BFCC organizers might be to cut the schedule back to once a year (preferably May). That way I am sure the halls of the Ealing town hall would be jammed with collectors and dealers.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 09:43 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since when do we consider a mild static discharge as an electric shock! [Big Grin] Ok, an un-insulated screwdriver and a live projector transformer do not mix. Trust me! [Eek!]

I must say though, this was one of the best BFCC I have attended in a long time. I have not laughed so much in one day for many a moon. Uncle Ian not being there was a blessing in disguise I suppose. Had he been their, he would have been located next to Mikes & Robs table and I fear we would have all been evicted for rowdy behaviour.

Once again I must thank Keith & John, along with the usual army of helpers for another excellent day out. I for one will attend as many BFCC conventions as I can and hope that it will continue for many years still to come.

Mike, sorry I never got time to give your GS1200 the once over, that shock put me behind a little. Maybe in May I will spare a few minutes with it. [Wink]

Paul, 12 volts are for girls. [Big Grin]
Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 20, 2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow Craig, what are you doing up at this time of night - it's 11 pm here - IN FLORIDA!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 03:26 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tony, but Forum is blocking your Email adress facility.
Mine is blagdonian (at) aol (dot) com.
Martin

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 03:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, the power unit is just housed in that case as the original power supply was for a Gemini Marc 300 lamp. That went kapput about four years ago and thanks to Bill Parsons talents the case now houses the power supply from Wittners for the HTI. Unfortunately the HTI lamp has reached the end of its life - something I suspected at the last convention - so the light output was almost down to that of a standard xenon.

And we have to thank Mal Brake, who comes up all the way from Wales, for those loverrrrrly chocolates. What a nice chap!

With regards to future conventions everyone keep their fingers crossed that the Town Hall backs out of their plans to build on the car park. Let's hope this recession means no building firm can borrow the money to do it otherwise a switch of venue is required. We all know the former Northfields Odeon is the prime candidate but we have to be realistic... the first convention there should see a mammoth attendance (by modern standards) but then it will fall back to normal and we'll just be rattling around. If the Town Hall proceeds with their lunatic scheme then it's all down to finding an alternative and that ain't going to be easy.

So as I keep saying to people who profess a wish to attend one of these conventions, "Don't wait too long!" And in that regard I suggest anyone who can possibly make it to Blackpool next month please make sure you do so otherwise we could all be kicking ourselves in the future that we should have supported this fantastic event. Personally I can't see any way I can get there at the moment but I'm looking at every possibility.

The Hobby needs YOU!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC