8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Sensational new 3D-DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sensational new 3D-DVD
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in our local Target store yesterday, and noticed that they had the release of the recent 'Journey to the Center of the Earth -3D' dvd on display. Having seen this at the cinema about 3 months ago, and remembering how stunning the digital SD was, I was curious to see if the DVD was actually in 3D. Well a quick glance at the back of the box revealed that it contained two versions of the film, one flat, and the other in Anaglyphic color 3D. Anaglyphic 3D - I wondered how good it could be, and suspected it would look something like ' Creature from the Black Lagoon' on super 8mm. Anyway at $16.99 I was willing to take a chance and purchased a copy.

-

Got home and opened the box, and there were 4 pair of those familiar red and green glasses inside. Ok, so it is going to look like Creature . Powered up the Panny and pushed play on the DVD player, and WOW! Suprise number one, its in color! Yes, even with those glasses on you get color! Admittedly, just as with super 8 3D, those glasses cut down screen brightness dramatically, but the color definately gets through, all be it a little weak. Suprise number 2 - the 3D effect is AWESOME! If you like 'reach out and touch' 3d, if you want to duck when a prehistoric carniverous plant or man-eating fish comes flying at you, then you just have to get this DVD. Many of the shots were jaw-dropping in terms of perfect image convergence and astonishing depth. No its not quite up to digital cinema standards with circularly polarized glasses, but its close! Very sharp images with almost perfect image convergence and tremendous image depth.

-

I have never seen 3d like this in the home before. On my 8ft wide 16:9 screen it is so good that you forget you have the glasses on. I would probably put the quality of the 3d as equal to ,or better than, what you would have see in the professional cinema in the 1950's with the linearly polarized glasses system. You dont have to search for the 3D - it leaps out, or in, with every single shot. I was sitting 12 ft away from my 8ft screen, and I swear that bird was right in front of my nose! - it's that good. Of course the film itself has a very weak story line, with most of the sound track having Brendon Fraser et al screaming their heads off as they plunge down bottomless holes or sweep through caverns on mining trucks. But in 3D it is an awesome ride.
An absolute MUST HAVE DVD for anyone with a home DVD projection system. Definately a reference film for demonstrating great 3D in the home

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, adding red/green or other anaglyph combinations to full colur range 3D movies results in a muddy semi-monochrome result. However, there is supposed to be a correction process called Chroma Depth which modifies the original colours of the film material to improve the effect substantially and give a modified "full colour" result

http://www.the3drevolution.com/3dscreen.html#lensadapter

(scroll the page down until you come to it). Maybe the DVD you have uses this.
Also the larger your screen, the more effective the 3D; remember that to represent infinity the two images need to be about 65mm apart on the screen. If they are less than this then the effect is greatly forshortened. In the two strip process, the two projectors were "toed in" to acheive this for a particular theatre; for "under and over" or "side by side" prints on one strip the projector LENS itself had to be manufactured (aligned) specially to suit the screen width and throw in each theatre.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a great fan of 3D, but you have got me curious Paul. Can't find a pal version apart from Blu Ray at the moment, but will keep an eye out.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 12:13 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pal version is released in the UK on 3rd Nov on dvd AND blu ray. I've had the blu ray on pre-order for the last 3 weeks and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Why? because as well as the anaglyphic version, the set also includes the 2D version. Is this exciting? Yes, because it is entirely possible with the right software, to remove the red channel from the anaglyph, replace that with the red channel information from the 2D copy and recreate a full colour Right Print. The 2D version is the Left Print. Now you can interlace the two and you have a field sequential full colour copy. If you're lucky enough to have the Sensio processor (like me!), just encode to side by side horizontally squeezed format and Bob's your uncle (again). I love 3D, me!

Best wishes,

Tiv

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 12:28 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you lost me after "The Pal version is released in the UK on 3rd Nov on dvd AND blu ray". [Big Grin]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 12:39 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that Chris. I got carried away on my favourite subject in the excitement. Basically I was talking about converting the red/blue dvd/blu ray into a true, full colour 3D version.

Oh and it's worth mentioning that the 3d version of the film will only be included in the initial shipment of discs. after that it's 2D only.

best wishes,

Tiv

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 12:42 PM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, my head was nipping too! Owww! :-)
I'm just looking forward to seeing the Blu-ray in the next couple of weeks.
I'm told that the same process used for the 3D effect on the Cinema release can't be done on Blu-ray yet. I was hoping we'd get the benefit of the latest technology, but I guess if the anaglyph works then it's worth having.
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, I'm a bit thick anyway so know worries. Now to get an order in for the pal version. If they are going to be rare, better get one. I take it by looking at play.com, you have to get the blu ray version, and included is the 3D disc which is a standard DVD?
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3d version is available on both formats. Amazon have them both.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 10:58 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Paul. [Smile]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 31, 2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered my copy!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC